Super Dynaction Tenor Value?

Distinguished SOTW Member buddy lee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Super Dynaction Tenor Value?

Hi All-

What would you call a fair asking price for a re-lacquered Buffet SDA tenor in good playing condition? Someone has one that needs a decent bit of work, so I'd like to find out what one that doesn't would be worth so I can negotiate properly if I decide to.

Thanks
    "Can't never could."

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Super Dynaction Tenor Value?

ALSO, I am assuming this one is a re-laq... did they lacquer these AFTER engraving or before?
    "Can't never could."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Original lacquer SDA's go for somewhere between 2k and $3500 depending on condition so I would say somewhere around 1k for a re-lacquer that needs work.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2016-17 chilehed's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I paid $1,800 for a 98% original lacquer SDA that had a few leaky pads and some missing corks.
    Buffet Super Dynaction Tenor 16xxx
    Buescher Aristocrat Tenor 270xxx
    Phil-Tone Sapphire 6*
    10MFan Black Widow 7 (the first one!)

Buescher Aristocrat 140 Alto 331xxx
    Phil-Tone Aurora 6

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011 awholley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in the process negotiating on a similar SDA to the one chilehed describes and in the same price range. I think you could find an original in excellent shape in the low $2000s or maybe under, depending on your luck, patience and negotiating skills.

I would also agree a relaq needing work should probably be priced in the low 1000s (or less). If I were buying a horn as you describe, $1300 would be my max, and I would be searching/hoping for something closer to $900-$1100.

I always assume if the bell brace does not have gold letters and a *black background* then it's a relacquer.
    "Even the wisest counsel is useless when it is unheeded." -Stephanie Barron
    Sound samples: https://soundcloud.com/alan-holley

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds about right. An original lacq one needing an overhaul would be around $1300-1400 on eFlay. So a relacqued one around $950-1200 is a fair offer to make.
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuescherBob View Post
    Original lacquer SDA's go for somewhere between 2k and $3500 depending on condition so I would say somewhere around 1k for a re-lacquer that needs work.
    You must have one for sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whaler View Post
    You must have one for sale.
    Nice contribution to the thread. My estimates seem to be in line with what others have said. If you feel differently than say what you think but don't be an... No I do not have one for sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by awholley View Post

I always assume if the bell brace does not have gold letters and a *black background* then it's a relacquer.
    Nice, then this one is DEFINITELY a re-laq. Thanks for that tip.
    "Can't never could."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddy lee View Post
    Nice, then this one is DEFINITELY a re-laq. Thanks for that tip.
    You've seen the horn and if your instincts are saying it's a re-lacquer then it very likely is but the entire visual story of the horn should be considered and not one or two aspects of the finish. Often it's very difficult to tell but the engraving is obviously the fist place to look. Also, most of these horns have what is called "Sparkle" lacquer which kind of looks like some kind of Crazing or reflective flakes in the lacquer. If the horn is showing "Sparkle" lacquer I would lean toward original. Get as many opinions as you can, you very likely know all this but maybe someone else doesn't. Post some pics if you can so we can get a look. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've seen the horn and if your instincts are saying it's a re-lacquer then it very likely is but the entire visual story of the horn should be considered and not one or two aspects of the finish. Often it's very difficult to tell but the engraving is obviously the fist place to look. Also, most of these horns have what is called "Sparkle" lacquer which kind of looks like some kind of Crazing or reflective flakes in the lacquer. If the horn is showing "Sparkle" lacquer I would lean toward original. Get as many opinions as you can, you very likely know all this but maybe someone else doesn't. Post some pics if you can so we can get a look. Good luck!
    Full story is they want $1200 for it. It needs “$1k worth of work” (seller’s words). I’m not apt to pay that especially for a re-laq.
    "Can't never could."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full story is they want $1200 for it. It needs “$1k worth of work” (seller’s words). I’m not apt to pay that especially for a re-laq.
    I agree to much for a re-laq... You can likely find one in Original laq in really good to great physical condition for around 2k or a little more or less, have it overhauled and for about 3k you'll have a monster horn. Heavy in weight and quirky ergonomics but you'd get used to that in no time. Great sounding horn and excellent build quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice contribution to the thread. My estimates seem to be in line with what others have said. If you feel differently than say what you think but don't be an... No I do not have one for sale.
    He’s asking about a price. $3500 for one of these is extremely optimistic. $2000 is optimistic. $1200 for one that needs work is a waste of money.
    I’ve played a Buffet in perfect playing condition. Uncomfortable to play and not a very good saxophone.
    I’d keep looking.

Distinguished SOTW Technician BOPITY FUNK's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There used to be a lot of Buffet SDA's around in the UK back in the 70's and 80's tenors and alto's you couldn't give 'em away...........I have had many over time as P/ex's and part deals and always struggled to even get my money back.......strange times we live in!

Forum Contributor 2016-17 chilehed's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whaler View Post
    I’ve played a Buffet in perfect playing condition. Uncomfortable to play and not a very good saxophone.
    I’d keep looking.
    That's a very unusual opinion. Makes me think it either wasn't an SDA, or was poorly set up.
    Buffet Super Dynaction Tenor 16xxx
    Buescher Aristocrat Tenor 270xxx
    Phil-Tone Sapphire 6*
    10MFan Black Widow 7 (the first one!)

Buescher Aristocrat 140 Alto 331xxx
    Phil-Tone Aurora 6

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOPITY FUNK View Post
    There used to be a lot of Buffet SDA's around in the UK back in the 70's and 80's tenors and alto's you couldn't give 'em away...........I have had many over time as P/ex's and part deals and always struggled to even get my money back.......strange times we live in!
    It is funny how certain models 'catch fire' at certain periods. IMHO they are good vintage horns, however.

OK, but playing Devils' Advocate: they're asking $1200...so they'd probably take $1g. Even if he were selling it on eFlay, and it was honestly described as a relacq, he probably wouldn't get $1200 if it needs significant work. So $950-1000 on a local, cash sale isn't a bad offer to make.

Then...does it REALLY need a $1g overhaul ? Or would $500-750 worth of tech work get her humming quite nicely ? Depending on where you live or who does the work, $700 of tech work can potentially get you quite a lot of work.

Because... if your final investment came to around $1600-1700....THAT would NOT be a bad deal at the end of the day for a nicely worked-up, relacquered SDA...IMHO.

It wouldn't be a STEAL, but it'd be a quite OK deal.

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, but playing Devils' Advocate: they're asking $1200...so they'd probably take $1g. Then...does it REALLY need a $1g overhaul ? Or would $500-750 worth of tech work get her humming quite nicely ? Depending on where you live or who does the work, $700 of tech work can potentially get you quite a lot of work.

Because... if your final investment came to around $1600-1750....THAT would NOT be a bad deal at the end of the day for a nicely worked-up, relacquered SDA...IMHO.

It wouldn't be a STEAL, but it'd be a quite OK deal.
    [/QUOTE]

It has “a couple of bent keys and original pads”. I’d have to go see it in person to get an idea of how bad it is. My tech is reasonably priced for sure.
    "Can't never could."

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be worth having a look. Bent keys no big deal. Probably needs a repad. If it's gonna get a repad it should probably get a tech bath, as well.

Look for significant damage, however: Any bellbrace impaction into body tube or back of bell ? Other gnarly dents ? Is the body tube plumb, or does it curve slightly ? Neck pulled down ? Resolders ? Octave mech seem to work decently smooth ? Check the stack keys for north-south play. Do all rods and screws seem to unscrew easily ? Stuff like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post
    Might be worth having a look. Bent keys no big deal. Probably needs a repad. If it's gonna get a repad it should probably get a tech bath, as well.

Look for significant damage, however: Any bellbrace impaction into body tube or back of bell ? Other gnarly dents ? Is the body tube plumb, or does it curve slightly ? Neck pulled down ? Resolders ? Octave mech seem to work decently smooth ? Check the stack keys for north-south play. Do all rods and screws seem to unscrew easily ? Stuff like that.
    Thanks a lot, will let you know if I go check it
    "Can't never could."