Opinion about Selmer s80 D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Opinion about Selmer s80 D

Hello everyone,

I play alto saxophone for 9 years now and I play on a Selmer s80 C** with a Vandoren 3 reed.
    In the fanfare were I play everybody tells me that I should take an s80 D. I've tried it and I think it has a fuller sound, but I'm not shure what to do.

Does any of you have experience with this setup?

Thanks already,
    Kobe118

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Opinion about Selmer s80 D

I haven't played it, but I can't see what the issue is. You heard suggestions for a specific mouthpiece that you have tried and prefer the sound of. Why not make the switch?

Also welcome to SOTW!
    Yamaha YTS-62iii tenor/Paraschos Selmer neck/Vandoren T20/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Yanagisawa AWO10/D'Addario Reserve D155/Bay ligature/L�g�re Signature Series 3
    Buffet Prodige clarinet/Vandoren Masters CL6/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe118 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I play alto saxophone for 9 years now and I play on a Selmer s80 C** with a Vandoren 3 reed.
    In the fanfare were I play everybody tells me that I should take an s80 D. I've tried it and I think it has a fuller sound, but I'm not shure what to do.

Does any of you have experience with this setup?

Thanks already,
    Kobe118
    I think you should try it again, paying attention to
    -the sound (quality, homogeneity of the tone, especially over the octave break)
    -the response all over the scale (low notes, upper notes, octave jumps, pianissimo,...)
    -the intonation (inaccuracies, variability)
    If YOU think it's really better (don't pay too much attention to the other players in the "fanfare"...) then make the switch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe118 View Post
    Hello everyone,

You may be experiencing just the variation between mouthpieces, rather than the difference due to the facing specs. If you find one that works for you, buy that one rather than a similar one available on-line. Similarly, you might find another C** that plays much better than the one you have now.

Consider also having your C** refaced by a good mouthpiece technician. They can adjust the tip opening to your preference and optimize the performance.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to SOTW!

The difference between a C** and a D (taken from tip-opening charts readily available on the internet) is about 3/100 of an inch for the tip-opening. That may or may not be signifiant depending on the individual mouthpieces involved (most mouthpieces vary piece to piece because of adherence to manufacturer's specifications), the quality of each reed used in your testing (reeds vary reed-to-reed), and your chops (meaning your personal embouchure build and strength). I'm guessing that difference is probably not significant.

But I agree with both posts above. If you played a D and liked it, then buy THAT mouthpiece. Don't depend on another D being exactly like the one you tried.

FWIW, I have an alto S-80 C* as well as two alto Soloists (C* and F). They all play decently and differences are affected more by the reed I'm using on them than the actual mouthpiece. However, I think that larger tip-openings will generally give a warmer (fuller?) tone, but that's just me. Others will disagree. DAVE
    Dave