Pet Peeve of Mine about the forum

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009 Keith Ridenhour's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pet Peeve of Mine about the forum

I wish there was some way to have a designation on the left side along with your "name" that gives some idea of level. When I ask a question on the forum i hate it when people who have no idea how to do something offer opinions. ? so if it said on the left played sax in high school, or played sax in college , or has a blah blah blah degree that might be helpful. I asked a specific question on the Jazz and Improvisation section about a student who wants to play a song. I got some feedback but then I thought can any of these people play this song at tempo? If you can't do something why comment on it? Stuff like my teacher says or I read on a milk box ### might be helpful. But if you can't do something why speculate on how to do it? I like the forum and enjoy the back and forth. but in terms of asking for useful info I almost don't . Because I'll get lots of , Well I can't play changes but you should blah blah blah, or I can't control my altissimo but you should blah blah blah, or I have no idea how to play fast but you should blah blah blah. So I guess I'm looking for some obvious way to vet info. Thats why I have a webpage. You can go there and decide if I have the training and experience to teach/play. anyway there it is. Its still close to new years , this could be a 2018 change. K
    Bachelor of Music Education UMSL , two years at Berklee College of Music
    My First solo CD was out in 2016 AutoMatrix. The lead cut is on my Webpage Ksaxman under Sonoma Soul. Working on the second one now. All original songs.
    I have videos of me with three different bands on my webpage Ksaxman.com Mostly have gigged with the Jami Jamison band for 16 years and my band Sonoma Soul for 2 years. K

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pet Peeve of Mine about the forum

and there are levels within levels. I have a BS of music ed from U of M st louis but I'd gladly get info from a sophmore studying at NTSU or Eastman or Manhattan or Berklee. You get the idea. K
    My First solo CD was out in 2016 AutoMatrix. The lead cut is on my Webpage Ksaxman under Sonoma Soul. Working on the second one now. All original songs.
    I have videos of me with three different bands on my webpage Ksaxman.com Mostly have gigged with the Jami Jamison band for 16 years and my band Sonoma Soul for 2 years. K

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to agree with you. It used to be there were many children on the site (a good thing) offering advice (not such a good thing) and eventually their lack of experience and knowledge became evident.

The same thing applies to some adults, too . . . after listening to musical things they've played and posted, I wondered . . .

On the other hand, no one has a lock on wisdom. I'm suspicious that such an identity-requirement would be taken the wrong way and turn off some posters who could be a valuable asset to the site. DAVE
    Dave

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a public forum. You take what you want and ignore the rest. What's so hard about that? And what's to stop posters from lying about 'credentials' even if we went to such a system? I don't believe the owners of the forum are interested in taking applications for posting and checking them out. And finally, any level of credentials/experience do not guarantee a poster still couldn't be full of it.

Distinguished SOTW Member buddy lee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were instances back several years ago, while I was really still getting back on track as a player, that I couldn't really offer much of help to anyone EXCEPT in the realm of 1 or 2 things that I was intimately familiar with because I'd just dealt with them. So, on those 1 or 2 things, I was more or less an expert. Now on the whole, I was still growing as a player and any other advice I could give would probably not hold water...

However, if you institute some sort of rule about only letting "Pros" give advice, you would've lost those 2 things I knew very well.

My .02
    "Can't never could."

Distinguished SOTW Member. Tryptykon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Ridenhour View Post
    I wish there was some way to have a designation on the left side along with your "name" that gives some idea of level. When I ask a question on the forum i hate it when people who have no idea how to do something offer opinions. ? so if it said on the left played sax in high school, or played sax in college , or has a blah blah blah degree that might be helpful. I asked a specific question on the Jazz and Improvisation section about a student who wants to play a song. I got some feedback but then I thought can any of these people play this song at tempo? If you can't do something why comment on it? Stuff like my teacher says or I read on a milk box ### might be helpful. But if you can't do something why speculate on how to do it? I like the forum and enjoy the back and forth. but in terms of asking for useful info I almost don't . Because I'll get lots of , Well I can't play changes but you should blah blah blah, or I can't control my altissimo but you should blah blah blah, or I have no idea how to play fast but you should blah blah blah. So I guess I'm looking for some obvious way to vet info. Thats why I have a webpage. You can go there and decide if I have the training and experience to teach/play. anyway there it is. Its still close to new years , this could be a 2018 change. K
    Are you talking about that thread on 'Confirmation' that you started ?

Distinguished SOTW Member buddy lee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptykon View Post
    Are you talking about that thread on 'Confirmation' that you started ?
    Has to be. And can I play Confirmation at tempo, probably not. However, if I wanted to, I would follow the instructions I gave for wanting to play ANYTHING fast. So I guess my opinion is moot.
    "Can't never could."

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, the previous thread did imply it was for a younger student. Or at least that was the impression right off the bat.

And you do have your education listed in your signature.

The point of an open forum is so anyone can voice their opinion and even if you have a section that shows your credentials people are still going to make comments whether you appreciate them or not.

It's just the nature of the beast.
    Don't do drugs. Do Overtones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPySDpoSiY

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't always show my signature link when replying to posts here, but generally do when it's a specific playing concern. That way people can hear for themselves whether or not they wish to take my advice seriously. And it's okay if they don't. Purely up to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice is only useful if the receiver understands what he or she's being told and if they then take it and apply it .

This business about 'credentials' and 'post a clip' has it's place sometimes but other times it doesn't really matter .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve had highly educated people tell me some really stupid things over the years (refer my signature block). I think it best to listen to people’s options, sort the rubbish from the good stuff and use what works for you. Either ignoring people’s opinions based on qualifications or not allowing their opinions to be aired leaves you far less to work with and far less enriched IMO. You’ll soon figure out what works and what doesn’t for you and the journey can be, and should be, fun.
    Education and intelligence are not the same thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone gives you correct and useful information but you've 'never heard them play' .. what do you do ?

What if you don't even know if what they're telling you is, in fact, correct info . Hmmm ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and there are levels within levels. I have a BS of music ed from U of M st louis but I'd gladly get info from a sophmore studying at NTSU or Eastman or Manhattan or Berklee. You get the idea. K
    Just studying at one of those schools (or even having a degree from one) doesn't necessarily mean much either. There are also levels within levels there. I have a degree from Berklee, but I will freely admit that I wasn't one of the 'heavy cats'. Nevertheless, I've run across several Berklee grads with the same degree as me that are far inferior players, and I remember some students when I was going there that could barely play their instrument when they enrolled (not sure if they made it through to graduation or not).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear what you are saying Keith, but all the cred's in the world don't automatically make you a good player or give you good insight. I never went to music school, but I did go to college for visual Art. Believe me there were quite a few students there who really sucked artistically IMO. Not only lack of talent, but lack of overall understanding or interest in the potential of Art as a tool for personal growth, intellectually, spiritually and socially.

I can only assume that Music college is the same. A certain percentage of students just jumping through hoops poorly. So I guess what I'm saying is you might get some of the best advice from people you would expect it from least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not implying that creds determine if you can play or teach. Two entirely different skills . I know great players who can't or won't explain how to solve a problem. I'm just saying it would be helpful in getting to know each other also. So if you are in high school you can quickly find others at your level and connect. Or if you are in college facing a sax problem that you need help with you can look for people at a similar level or a teacher. I am not saying what people can or cannot say. or if they have "creds" they are right. I'm saying there is plenty of room on the left side to post some kind of hint at level. Maybe heavys don't want that known , maybe someone new wants to sell equipment and doesn't want to let anyone know they don't play. I can't see the downside to more information?? I think it would help many and hurt very few. ? K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps we should all be required/encouraged to post a sound clip in our sig.

But I think I agree with 1saxman (post#4) that this is a problem without solution so you just roll with it.

Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sympathize. Some older music forums offered an honor system "levels" self-designation. I think modern forums like this one value post count more than skill level, for obvious reasons.
    Best, Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish there was some way to have a designation on the left side along with your "name" that gives some idea of level.
    "Some way to have"? Let's be specific here. Are you merely suggesting that posters volunteer biographical information about themselves? If so, it's plain that nothing new is needed. Anyone may create a signature containing whatever musical background disclosures they would like to make, just as you have done.

Or are you proposing that the forum require that every post include such disclosures? If so, my opinion of the proposal doesn't really matter, because it's never going to be adopted. But I do think it would be helpful for you to be explicit.

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted this same subject many years ago. Sometimes I'd be fooled by some cat discoursing on the horn or a mpc and by the time all the pertinent info was revealed in the post or comment it became painfully obviously the poster couldn't play it anyway. Level of expertise should be part of any post far as I'm concerned..Maybe the signature should include a "level" ..who knows ??

Cash's vintage Demo Recordings circa '99-'03 SF Bay Area www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keith, I had this same problem throughout the years in this forum. At the end of the day, post count seems to be the ultimate sign of saxophone knowledge here. I have also had big issues fairly recently on SOTW regarding topics of saxophone performance. From that experience. I basically learned what people I listen to and who I don't. I do judge people's claim of playing expertise on their playing.
    Now, like someone said above, you can't tell from the signature or "credentials into" who might happen to have the exact answer you happen to be looking for. Maybe you would have overlooked me for example. Maybe you would have felt my credentials didn't match as someone you would listen to?
    I thought you were referring to a student of yours on the Confirmation thread, not yourself as many others noted. If I knew it was for yourself I would have told you I wrote my DISSERTATION on this topic, and specifically wrote about the Charlie Parker's Confirmation solo in regards to saxophone technique.
    I agree, I wish there was a sign of credentials. I mostly feel this way because if you google search almost anything saxophone related, SOTW is one of the first hits. When students do these searches without joining and learning who to trust and who not to, they could very likely be taking in some very wrong information. How are they supposed to know if the person's response they are reading have exactly the same amount of information on the topic they have themselves?
    So to end, I have always felt this way too, but agree there is nothing that can really be done about it.
    PM me if you would like a link to my dissertation. It is available on proquest as well as U. Illinois press website.
    “If you transcribe me, you're my student, but if you transcribed who I've transcribed, you're my peer.”
    -Michael Brecker

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast