Sax on the Web Forum banner

Super Boston Tenor Sax

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  buddy lee 
#1 ·
Hi, My son has fallen in love with the sound of this sax... we can't find any information about them here in the uk... any knowledge helpful...

#2 ·
Not being able to find any info myself I'd venture to say it is likely a fairly cheap stencil horn either out of China or possibly Taiwan.
Pictures would help to make a better assessment.

If that is the case you are probably better advised to save your money and find a used Yamaha Student horn (YTS-23 or 21) in good playing condition. They can be found for a very decent price all the time ($500-$600 US).

There are a lot of bad habits that can be formed from learning on an instrument that is hard to play in tune and that goes out of regulation easily. Which is why so many students start out on Yamaha horns.

#3 ·
will try and post some pics, he mainly plays alto, sop and bari, his other tenor is a cheap john packer, this old super boston is mellow and holds its tune from bottom to high f, it has low b and bflat tone holes / valves on the leg side of the bell like old Buescher tenors.

Attachments

#4 ·
Interesting. It's definitely a stencil of something. The Left hand bell keys and the vintage style pinky keys sort of Buescher and the way the neck looks too. But there's some other features that make it look a little different.

I think with so little info available you might have to just go on how it plays. If it's a good deal then grab it.

Could end up being a nice first horn.

#5 ·
I wonder if this is one of the "Boston" tenors that at one time were being made by a group of ex-Selmer technicians ? I had one of them back in the late 1970s: it was my first tenor, and a very good horn, good enough for a bit of studio work I was doing back then.

You'll find a discussion here: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?7031-Boston-Saxophone

Most of the thread is given over to a discussion of a "Boston" branded saxophone that was apparently a Chinese cheapie; but the last post in the thread refers to the Selmer copy.

#13 ·
In the end, I've found mine to play well and play in tune. The key work is a little clunky. But for my playing (decidedly non-professional) it's not a drawback and easy enough to get used to. Overall nice sounding horn, a little on the bright side, especially compared to my Holton. But I find that, except for my Desidera, all my Italian saxes - R&C stencils, A. Rampones and Santonis, seem to have a little brightness to their overall sound. I have a Charles Bay mouthpiece that really mellows out the tenors and my PPT Onyxite makes my altos smooth and mellow as butter. Just my 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.