Sax on the Web Forum banner

The Martin Magna - Serial Number Vertical

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  jth121 
#1 ·
Greeting's everyone...

Here's a Tenor on E Bay - Described as The Martin - Magna. The problem is that I can't find the serial number 300281 for either the martin or a magna - at the saxophone.org site. What is your opinion as to this horn, because I see pictures of the serial numbers which are stamp on the martin horn, and they are horizontal as to the one on e bay are vertical and more modern ghost like numbers you find on the Chinese type horns...

Phil Mas'

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-K-VINTAG...d=232577474009&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

#4 ·
It sure looks authentic to me. The bell engraving is the same as on my Martin Music Man. Making a copy fake seems like a lot of trouble to go to.

If I had the money ... and my wife wouldn't kill me ...

#5 ·
I've got a The Martin Tenor, a The Martin Baritone and a Martin Indiana tenor with the serial # that is vertical like the one on eBay. I can't perceive any differences in these late Martins than earlier ones.

I'd love to have that Magna! I'd sell off two or three of my Martin tenors for that jewel, but my Martin tenors horns are not very desirable, rescues mostly. Heck, one had a bullet hole in the bell when I got it... but it plays like a dream.

#6 ·
Martin changed the stamping around the time Richards Music collapsed and they were acquired by Wurlitzer. I don't think there were any major changes to note on professional-level horns.

#7 ·
I have seen that Magna tenor on Ebay, it looks to be nice and the price keeps dropping.
My 305,XXX Magna tenor also has the vertical engraving. These are excellent horns.
I am of the understanding that some of the Magna tenors had the serial number also engraved on the neck and some did not.
I don't remember if mine does or not but am thinking it does and would need to look to verify.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.