Sax on the Web Forum banner

Cruddy mouthpiece sellers

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  hgrail 
#1 ·
Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems that it has become increasingly fashionable to sell used mouthpieces without cleaning them at all. I think it's better to not touch them if you can't figure out how to clean them properly but jeez. I see so many listings on Ebay lately for mouthpieces with all kinds of mineral deposits and who-knows-what inside and out.

Is this a trend lately to boost the vintagometer ? Are sellers trying to enhance the mojo and mystique? Scared to touch it in case it might be worth $2000 because it has Charlie Parkers DNA on it?

What's up with that?

#3 ·
Cleaning a mouthpiece for your buyer should be considered a common courtesy.
+1. And there is nothing difficult about cleaning a mpc. On top of that, I really can't understand why anyone would not keep their own mpc relatively clean. Again, a very easy task.

Of course, over the years a mpc will begin to look rather 'worn', plating on metal pieces might wear away and HR pieces become discolored. But that doesn't mean they can't be kept clean, or that they aren't clean. pontius, I'm assuming you aren't talking about mpcs that are clean but showing signs of wear and tear.

#4 ·
30 minute soak in ordinary Malt Vinegar then a quick rinse and scrub with a SOFT toothbrush

works on metal and ebonite and works WONDERS - gets rid of all the calcification and everything

I completely agree with this post - I have seen some pieces that would make you seriously ill and there is no excuse for it

Also 'discoloured' is mis-leading, as if the surface of ebonite is seriously oxidised it is also carcinogenic...

Like this: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162789941921

AVOID any pieces that look like this

#6 ·
I'm gonna' go in a different direction on this. There are many vintage mouthpieces found in estate sales or from sellers who have no experience with saxophone paraphernalia. My preference is to receive a piece in original "gunky" condition rather than spend substantial money on one that's been cleaned by an amateur. I remember getting one that looked as though the seller had used coarse steel wool to clean the baffle. It hadn't been apparent in the pictures. It's even possible that the seller thought he was obliged to vigorously scrub the tip, baffle, floor, and chamber before sending it off. Plus, there's always a possibility of altering the rails and facing in the process.

If I'm buying from a knowledgeable source it's a different matter. Still, I'd rather reduce the risk of damage by doing it myself.

#9 ·
Exactly. That was my point.

And when I mentioned 'discolored,' I should have qualified it. I'm not talking about a mpc caked with calcium or seriously oxidized (due to total neglect or being left out in the backyard for 30 years, etc). Just that it's possible for a mpc to fade slightly over the years, or in the case of a metal piece, lose a bit of the finish after a lot of use, even when being kept clean.

#8 ·
I've bought and sold a lot of old cars... most of them beaters, and nothing special actually. But even with a beater, I never trust somebody who drives around in his own s***. If he can't be bothered to clean his ride, what else is gonna be wrong with it? Everything I sell is clean and it smells great. It may be a wreck!... but it'll be clean:)

#10 ·
I am always surprised how many people think a mouthpiece is a special item that needs special cleaning techniques, sheesh it's like washing a coffee cup to me..(no scalding water please)

That said I do apply a bit of polish to my metal mpcs one in a while to inhibit tarnish. Selling a cruddy dirty mpc is just wrong.

#11 ·
I always clean my mouthpieces after playing and put them on a mouthpiece stand to dry. A bit of liquid soap and a soft baby tooth brush keeps things clean, and crud doesn't have a chance to accumulate.

An extra mouthpiece is in my case in the event that I forget to put it back before heading out the door.

I wouldn't eat with a fork (or a spoon) and then use it again the next day without washing it, I don't think a mouthpiece is any different.

#15 ·
I was using a baby bottle brush, but I though the bristles were sort of stiff and may scratch the mouthpiece, thus the soft baby tooth brush. It cost me $1.00 at Big Lots :).

#18 ·
I've received one or two mouthpieces that were really gross - so now I ask for pictures before hand..

It wasn't just dirty - it was played lots and never cleaned. Was really disturbed by the whole thing.

A super-old mouthpiece that's been dusty sitting in a drawer is fine. I never mind that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.