Sax on the Web Forum banner

Metal Otto Links: Pick Three

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  whaler 
#1 ·
What three metal Otto Links, unmodified, from any era, represent the spectrum of what these mouthpieces have to offer and can do?

Curious how you all see the range and how you place it to certain years and models.

#5 ·
Three that play! ;-)

Joking aside, I played on an old NY ToneMaster for a couple of decades, but alas...it had been worked on. I'm sure at some point, I've played on a Florida or "early Babbitt", but didn't know about such things at that time. I'd love to get my grubby hands on a Four **** or "Master Link" to try. Anybody want to send me one for a trial run? ;-)

John

#7 ·
I guess that depends on what kind of spectrum you want. If you're looking for like the full thing, probably Master Link, Florida USA, and Modern STM, but if you want a solid usable range for most people then Double Ring, Florida No USA, Early Babbit.

#11 ·
Otto Link made metal mouthpieces from the 1930s to the present day,there are at least 10 distinct versions of metal Otto Links, these variations have accompanied the development of the tenor saxophone and jazz music over 80 years.
Your question is odd, are you a list guy a la High Fidelity?
I feel the constraint of your question obstructs understanding the interesting variations in metal Links-those beautiful tools used to create 80 years of music history.

#13 ·
I find the question interesting and also useful. I play Link and Link-derived pieces primarily. While my various phases of GAS have resulted in my buying too many pieces over time, I can see paring down to three vintage Link pieces that between them covered the entire spectrum of what the metal Links have to offer.

#14 ·
I have a big collection with examples of almost all (metal) models ever made by Otto Link (the best mouthpiece brand in the World... for me and many others!).

Making a list depends on what you are looking for in your sound and which style you play. For me it would be:

1. STM Florida no USA
2. STM NY Double Ring (not the STM Florida Double Ring, which are brighter pieces)
3. STM Early Babbitt (first model with the small bore size, made in 1974 by Babbitt from left over Florida USA blanks from Otto Link)

If you would allow refaced pieces I would make another list (I prefer big tips and the old models before the STM didn't come in bigger tips):

1. STM Florida no USA
2. Tone Master (first model made between 1940-1946, not the improved TM from 1946-1950)
3. Master Link

But I've actually played good (and less good) Otto Link's in all models (also modern ones). As you know Link's are all hand finished and all a bit different, even within one model. So making such lists is not very useful, even while certain models have certain characteristics.

#15 ·
My favorites as to playing the most comfortably have been a Master Link 4, an Early 80’s 5* (the ones with the quotes around “Super”) I used for a long time and an Early Babbitt 6 that is my main mouthpiece for almost everything now.
The Early Babbitts and the ones right after the from the Early 80’s are the brightest or edgiest which I prefer. The Early 80’s STMs are sleepers that you can still find cheap.
DRs and No USA seem more the classic Blue Note type of Link sound but I need something that projects easier on some louder gigs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.