Sax on the Web Forum banner

How happy are you with your tenor mpc?

8K views 42 replies 40 participants last post by  EsbSpecial 
#1 ·
I've bounced from mpc to mpc over the last decade. I did stick with a few for a couple of years each but have finally found a perfect combination that has worked and is really checking all the boxes on what I want from a tenor mpc. The one I'm playing was able to get me through a soft to loud jazz social hour set and then move on to a 2hr R&B set all on the same gig. The flexibility and ease of playing from soft to crazy loud has solidified that this is my perfect mpc. Who else has found "the one"?

#30 ·
I'm to a point where I don't have anywhere near the desire to try new things that I used to, but I don't have a single 'piece I use for all situations. My EB Link STM covers almost everything, and I use it probably 90% of the time. I do however have a bronze Berg that I like to get out now and then, as well as a few other things I play once in a while just for fun. I've had the Link for nearly 10 years though, so I'd say I'm pretty happy with it.

#31 ·
I went through a phase where I bought and sold a ton of tenor pieces. I think this phase was very valuable as I got to understand better how different pieces play and I learned what I like in a mouthpiece. I would not say I have found the perfect mouthpiece, but I keep coming back to my Barone Jazz which I play 95% of the time. I may like that another piece allows me to get more volume but it might not sound as colorful as the Barone. The Barone allows for me to shape the sound, has plenty of depth and color, and I can get pretty loud. The only time I might play a different piece is if I was in a band with lots of amplified instruments. Even with a microphone, mouthpieces that do not emphasize the highs just do not cut as well for me. I use a Drake Studio when I need the cut and extra volume. At this point, any limitations I feel I have with these two pieces are likely my fault and not the fault of my gear.

#32 ·
"The One," eh?

That's a tough call. I use the mpc that I feel best on. My personal mpc philosophy has changed greatly.

From "with this mpc, my sound will be ___" to "This mpc is a blank slate that I can mold." My previous pieces, I feel, I used them to alter my sound (I had a few different pieces, longest being a Guy Hawkins metal 10*). Now though, I play a metal V16 large chamber 6 with the idea that it is "blank". I must make the changes. I want an unaltered sound (unaltered by the piece).

So in that respect, I feel that I have found "the one." The one where if I want a different sound, change my playing, not the piece. Much more cost effective that way

#33 ·
I bought a lot of mouthpieces before finding two different setups that cover almost all situations :
For trios or small acoustic bands :
Mpc : Dolnet Chantecler IV. This mouthpiece was made by Lelandais (it has a very specific torpedo shape).
Reed : Rico Royal 3

For big bands, blues, fusion… :
MPC : Laser-trimmed Guardala MBII
Reed : Vandoren ZZ 2

#34 ·
I'm very pleased with my metal Tenor Jody Jazz DV mouthpiece. The size I chose was a #6 .090 and is the smallest size they sell for this mouthpiece. They say to go up in size for reed choice and they are right. I have been playing around with many sizes and brands. What I found that works fantastic for this mouthpiece was the D'Addario 2 Unfiled Hard size. This mouthpiece is a work of art. It plays so beautifully with a nice deep end a clean middle and upper tonal sound. I love that I don't have to fight the mouthpiece to control it throughout the entire range. You can go balls to the walls or just a whisper that is clean and pretty. Using a 2 reed or a 2.5 may make you sound thin and bright. Using the 2 hard D'Addario unfiled reed and or a 3 size from others will make your sound full and beautiful VS thin and bright. If someone wants a mouthpiece that is similar but darker than I suggest the DV Chi model from Jody Jazz. If you want to go to the darkest model than try the DV NY model. I love this company. :)

PS I also use a Jody Jazz DV on Alto in size #7. I wanted a metal Alto mouthpiece that had full range beautiful color and not super bright. This fit the bill. Love love love.

#36 ·
"So I go onstage with a mpc on my horn and another in my pocket ready to go so I can switch them out at any moment. Just one example is that of having had reeds go dead or wonky on me one hour into a gig. I DO NOT like to change out reeds mid-song or mid-set and see no reason to when it is so much easier to just change the piece in a N.Y. second. This especially since I am very comfortable on all of them. I no longer own or play the ones I'm not comfortable on."

I am doing this from now on. Thanks. I have duplicates and backups, but never brought them on stage in my pocket. Sounds pretty obvious, though.

Like many truly brilliant ideas, it is both simple and obvious.

#38 ·
I've been fairly happy using a JJ DV Chi for almost everything the last 5 years or so. Works great for big band and jazz combo and I haven't done any concert band or quartet work in many years so no concerns there. I could use a bit more volume and edge for funk and rock gigs but I play mostly bari at those. When I do pick up the tenor it's the second sax part under the alto or tenor 1 so I don't worry much as it's really up to the sound guy to balance that stuff out.

#41 ·
Entirely! I now have two mouthpieces that allow me cover all the bases I need to, while still getting a great and idiosyncratic sound with all the 'elements' in place that I love in my own sound (In either category: Rock or jazz). And there's plenty of overlap between the two, which is really nice. More than anything, I'm happy to sound authentically like myself, without having to push myself to sound like someone else, including the greats. Although these two pieces do let me do that easily, if I'm in the mood for that.

I'm fickle when it comes to mouthpieces and to my own sound, but for now, I'm in heaven. :)

#42 ·
Very happy with my metal 10mfan Boss 9. Quite an amazing mpc, it covers all the bases for a soft dinner set or loud blowing gig.

I also have a Black Widow 8* hard rubber, I got it a couple mos back, it is another great mpc. I like the versatility of both of these mpcs, although I confess I've been leaning more toward my Boss Lately. They are both very comfortable to play and I'm starting to feel at home with them.

I played a LT Super King Guardala and a couple of rubber Lakeys for many yrs..I can't bring myself to sell them as they are like old friends to me. I also keep a Metalite M7 in my case for reasons truly unknown unless maybe a mpc is left at home or broken or swiped..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.