[eBay Sax listings] eBay question concerning buyer legitimacy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default eBay question concerning buyer legitimacy

Hi all.
    I'm selling a high-quality mouthpiece on eBay and have been made 2 offers of the same amount by the same guy/gal (let's just use male pronouns to keep it simple), despite me doing a counter-offer of a higher amount. His offer is only AU$50 less than my AU$500 listing but I'm a bit puzzled as to why someone would submit a second offer of the same amount that I'd already rejected with a counter-offer. I looked at his profile and he's from Ukraine with only 1 feedback point. His username has number "2" on the end and when I removed the "2" and did a search, a profile appeared that uses the same root username and it looks to be the same person but with 19 feedback points. This other account is still active but has been unused for at least 12 months. It got me thinking" "Why does someone need multiple eBay profiles unless they're trying to hide something??" I might be unduly suspicious but I've heard/read of a lot of scams coming from that region/Eastern Europe.

In any case, I'm wondering if this person is legit and am contemplating contacting him to try and ascertain the degree of risk with this transaction. However, I don't really know what to ask that might give me peace of mind.

Does anyone have suggestions about contact, or any thoughts about how to potentially mitigate being scammed?

Cheers
    Gary

P.S. Mods, please move this thread if there's a better place for it.
    SAXES: Soprano: Yanagisawa S880 with Theo Wanne HR Gaia 11 | Alto: Yamaha YAS62 "Purple Logo" with Theo Wanne HR & metal Durga 9 | Tenor: Selmer Serie III (with Warburton Modular Neck) & B&S Medusa with Theo Wanne metal Durga 9 & 10MFAN Boss 9* | WIND CONTROLLERS: Yamaha WX5 & AKAI EWI4000S

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: eBay question concerning buyer legitimacy

UPDATE: I'd also received a couple of offers by another eBay user supposedly from Germany but upon closer inspection of his profile it appears he's also from Ukraine...leading me to suspect whether it's the same person I mentioned in my first thread. I should mention that all feedback for these 3 eBay profiles is 100% positive but that doesn't really allay my concerns. Is there any way to scam-proof an eBay sale? I've heard stories of buyers cancelling payment after the item has been posted and there's nothing the seller can do about it.
    SAXES: Soprano: Yanagisawa S880 with Theo Wanne HR Gaia 11 | Alto: Yamaha YAS62 "Purple Logo" with Theo Wanne HR & metal Durga 9 | Tenor: Selmer Serie III (with Warburton Modular Neck) & B&S Medusa with Theo Wanne metal Durga 9 & 10MFAN Boss 9* | WIND CONTROLLERS: Yamaha WX5 & AKAI EWI4000S

Distinguished SOTW Member.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might want to consider U. S. & Canada only shipping.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, Your in Australia, so "never mind".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have doubts, about a buyer or a locale, just withdraw the item and re-list with the necessary bidding exclusions. Would I send a $500 item to your buyer? Er, no way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just revise your auction to restrict shipping to your country only.

I get a little squeamish about shipping anything overseas that is more than a couple hundred dollars. Ebays global shipping program (do they have this in Australia?) has helped me relax a little because the buyer is only responsible for getting the item to the US shipping center. Anything goes missing or damaged after that point, you are off the hook. The only thing left to worry about is a buyer claiming "item not as described" and initiating an ebay claim or initiating a charge-back directly with paypal, which is a huge pain in the butt to clear up. Ebay has made it easier and easier for buyers to make claims, false or otherwise. Their policies are geared towards large volume retailers where "the customer is always right" concept works. That does not work for people selling unique or one of a kind personal items who can not afford to lose that $$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. We don't seem to have eBay's global shipping program available to us in Australia.

I've spoken to eBay a couple of times today and am feeling much more confident about not being ripped off, provided I've done all I can to dot every "i" and cross every "t".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would walk away.

If something doesnt feel right, listen to that voice inside your head. Its usually correct.

It just isnt worth the hassle, even if you dot the I's and cross the T's.

another buyer will come along some time.

good luck whatever you choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use paypal, make certain seller has verified PayPal address, send signature required, insure for full amount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KMR View Post
    I would walk away.

If something doesnt feel right, listen to that voice inside your head. Its usually correct.

It just isnt worth the hassle, even if you dot the I's and cross the T's.

another buyer will come along some time.

good luck whatever you choose.
    i agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd also walk away from this one. At best, you'll be fretting for the next six months over whether this person might do a charge back and screw you out of both money and mouthpiece. If something doesn't seem right, that's probably the case.

Distinguished SOTW Member B Flat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d consider walking away from eBay altogether particularly as a seller.
    It’s only a matter of time before you get screwed over and eBay will twist the knife when this does happen.
    As a buyer on eBay the world is your oyster, you can screw over anyone and eBay will be there to help you.
    Problem is everybody knows this and many will take advantage.
    Sent from my iPhone using poor grammar and literacy skills.
    Quality Wrought Iron & (mediocre Sax Playing)
    www.warpironworks.com.au