Who can identify the recording and great tenor soloist under this commercial?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Who can identify the recording and great tenor soloist under this commercial?

Hi all,

We currently have a very nice commercial on the Dutch TV from the largest Dutch supermarket chain >Albert Heijn< (founded in 1887).

The commercial has a fantastic sound clip under it and I love the sound and feel of the tenor soloist. It sounds 40's jump & jive style to me, but I don't recognize the band, recording or tenor soloist (which is rare, because I have listened to a lot of old stuff).

- Who can help me out?

Here is the commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJCj2YoWJD8

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who can identify the recording and great tenor soloist under this commercial?

I guess it must be something of Louis Jordan...

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who can identify the recording and great tenor soloist under this commercial?

I don't know...but, I'd pay to hear 'em!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double post.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be relatively easy for you being in the NL to call the office from Ahold Albert Hein.

"Contact
    Klanten kunnen contact opnemen met de klantenservice van Albert Heijn op telefoonnummer 0800-0305, via onze contactpagina, of via twitter @AlbertHeijn.

Vertegenwoordigers van de media kunnen contact opnemen met een van de woordvoerders via telefoonnummer: 088-6592020, via e-mail: pers@ah.nl of via twitter @AlbertHeijnPers.

De woordvoerders van Albert Heijn zijn: Anoesjka Aspeslagh, Els van Dijk, Menno van der Vlist en Erik Lückers."
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think this is played by old timers. the playing sounds much more recent than that, even though it is done in an older style.

But, I dont recognise the tune or the soloist.

a couple of times I thought Greg Piccolo, but ended up thinking not.

Good luck with your search.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    It should be relatively easy for you being in the NL to call the office from Ahold Albert Hein.

"Contact
    Klanten kunnen contact opnemen met de klantenservice van Albert Heijn op telefoonnummer 0800-0305, via onze contactpagina, of via twitter @AlbertHeijn.

Vertegenwoordigers van de media kunnen contact opnemen met een van de woordvoerders via telefoonnummer: 088-6592020, via e-mail: pers@ah.nl of via twitter @AlbertHeijnPers.

De woordvoerders van Albert Heijn zijn: Anoesjka Aspeslagh, Els van Dijk, Menno van der Vlist en Erik Lückers."
    Thanks milandro. That would be an option for sure, but I wanted to check here on SOTW first (and also share this wonderful music).

I already checked the AH websites before posting here, but only found the normal commercial stuff. I'm also afraid that when I phone I will get a non understanding person who will promise to pass on the question and let me call back, which will in the end never happen (sorry that I sound a bit negative about that, but I have some hands on experience)! I leave your option open as a last resource, in case nobody knows it here.

By the way, I also posted the question under the YouTbue clip, which is posted by an official AH marketing department. If they are alert and customer driven they can and will answer the question over there. Let's see!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KMR View Post
    I dont think this is played by old timers. the playing sounds much more recent than that, even though it is done in an older style.

But, I dont recognise the tune or the soloist.

a couple of times I thought Greg Piccolo, but ended up thinking not.

Good luck with your search.
    Thanks KMR, could indeed also be a modern player (I guess it would be Dutch in that case, but I don't know a modern player here playing this style so well). I also think it isn't Greg Piccolo.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My vote for the old timer sound-alike would be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qiew_wDTMuU

but sounds like a new recording.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be set on December 5-6, I suppose?

Cute commercial and superlative music.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    My vote for the old timer sound-alike would be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qiew_wDTMuU

but sounds like a new recording.
    Indeed the same style, nice clip.

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    That would be set on December 5-6, I suppose?

Cute commercial and superlative music.

Thanks!
    The commercial is linked to >Sinterklaas< celebration, which is done in Holland at Dec 5th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dawn on the 5th is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The eve of the the 5th or the morning of the 6th depends where you live

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lockjaw Davis Big Band? Or more likely the Basie big band featuring Eddie taking a solo. Sure sounds like him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the shift over from Saint Nick on his saint's day to Santa Claus on the 24th in the U.S., see

"Gotham"
    (the history of New York to 1898)
    Burrows and Wallace, 1999.
    ["the domestication of christmas" pages 462-63, 465]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to say nothing of Grandfather Frost, another non religious Russian alternative Sinta ( Sinter Klaus)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lambros View Post
    Lockjaw Davis Big Band? Or more likely the Basie big band featuring Eddie taking a solo. Sure sounds like him.
    Thanks Lambros, but I'm sure it's not Lockjaw or the Basie band.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps that’s true mr pb. It certainly sounds like something close to it though and it’s just a fragment. Louis Jordan? I don’t think he made a tenor sound like that, call me jaded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It reminds me of Johnny Griffin.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights, I'm afraid of widths" ~ Steven Wright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know the player, either, but I would agree that the audio quality sounds to me like a fairly recent recording. My guess would be that some excellent studio musician was asked to play something in the style of Lockjaw, but that's just a guess. Would be interesting to find out!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast