Sax on the Web Forum banner

Chinese Plastic Alto reeds on Ebay

15K views 79 replies 16 participants last post by  jamesjps 
#1 ·
Just saw several Ebay offerings for Alto, some under $3. Different colors no strength sizes or markings, but they say for students so I guess they would be on the softer side..My alto mpcs are wide tips and I use soft fibras or Legeres.. If the Chinese can clone everything else a Three buck synthetic that plays would be great news..Damn Legeres can be $40 apiece, even a single Fibra burns up a $20 these days.

I guess I gotta blow 3 bucks and order one..Funny how one of my best synths on Tenor is an old unbranded thing, not a marking on it, it's reed colored too, I have no idea what the actual strength size is.. the thing plays great on several of my tenor mpcs..in all fairness my expensive Legere's I love and I have a small collection of Fibracells that I still play too. But the synths are so damned expensive to try out I haven't experimented with a lot of the newer brand Synths Forestone's Hartmanns etc etc....

Anybody tried one these Chinese plastic jewels yet ???

#3 ·
Items from China (free shipping) take a very long time to show up ( even two months) but they generally do. tell them you didn't receive them they will send more.

In several years there was only one parcel which needed resending.

As for plastic reeds, some time ago I was contacted by a member here who produced plastic reeds in Italy with the brand Rogerreeds

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ic-reeds-(rogerreeds-made-in-italy)-yes-or-no

At the time I was still involved with a Taiwanese company which might have been interested in acquiring the distribution rights for these, so we were given some samples and let's say that results were not to our liking so we didn't go any further.

I think that the main problem is to achieve different strengths.

Natural reeds are all cut the same thickness and are THEN measured at the tip for flexibility (the only criteria measured by all natural cane brands).

Cane grows differently in density on the plant, the south side and higher will have a more dense cell structure than the north side lower and so on.

Plastic reeds can achieve different strengths in two different ways:

1) same material different thickness

2) same thickness different material

Bot present various levels of complication.

#5 ·
Well there are terms that they have established when they sent the items (it says in your order) if they have overshot the delivery terms ( they keep them on purpose very wide bracket) and you have paid with paypal you can open a litigation which you will win without any problems.

Normally just even mentioning paypal is enough for them to resend the item (the resending might take also two months).

More often than not ( been there done that a few times) they will remit the money on your account and hope tat you are honest enough ( and I think everyone should be) to re pay them once the object has arrived.

Remember they really need your positive feedback and most sellers will do their best (albeit after a nudge or a push) to accommodate you.

#6 ·
I ordered some Chinese mpc patches recently (3M), delivery was supposed to be at least a month out..they showed up in less than 10 days..I received 8 of them for less than 2 bucks shipped and a choice of color and thickness, a great deal.

Back to the reeds, they say "Plastic" but that could mean anything, I mean there is a myriad of plastic types I'm sure..I may order one for fun myself, they got Red ones whoo-Hoo

#8 · (Edited)
I googled "chinese synthetic sax reeds" and found some reviews over on Café Saxophone..the reviews were a couple years old but seemed to describe the reeds I saw on Ebay..they give pretty dismal reports..they are reported to not be flat and need reworking to even "play"

Also I read the unmarked strength was reported to be in the "medium hard" range..You'd think for students the reeds would be in the softer sizes..I'm surprised our forum doesn't have more info these "plastic" Chinese reeds.

I've tried the cheap Chinese real cane in the past but was not impressed with playability or longevity. I actually still have a few that I use to keep my Ligs in shape on my mpcs while my quality working reeds are stored properly in holders.

I think the Chinese are certainly smart enough to figure a way to produce a good synthetic cheaply..maybe in the future??

#10 ·
Thanks Pete, your review matches what I read on Café Saxophone..I just saw also on Ebay some "Resin" alto reeds by $LADE..they appear different than the "Plastic" ones..they have a cut look to them and they are stamped with the Brand name and a size marking of 2.5 Available in 4 colors inc a yellow cane color..You get 5 for $6.87..such a deal.

Take a look they are item (US eBay) #152556440725, I'm tempted to maybe give them a shot..they claim the reeds can be sanded.

#13 ·
I'm tempted to maybe give them a shot..they claim the reeds can be sanded.
If you treat them as reed blanks, you may be able to get some value for your money. I doubt that anyone can make a decently playable synthetic reed for the price these guys are charging, even in China. The top-tier synth reed makers have solved the problem of strength gradation that Milandro alludes to above, but they haven't done it at $3 retail per reed. But who knows -- you may even discover some plastic reed adjustment techniques that you can also apply to the better brands.

#11 ·
Well while I was ordering a Studio Cut Legere for my Alto I couldn't resist..(damn GAS)

I also ordered the 5 cane-colored $LADE's, what the hell $6.87 won't break the bank..the red resin reeds are cool looking but I think the cane color will look better if I have to shave them..(or toss them)

Stay tuned gang this will be interesting....they ship from Hong Kong so maybe it won't take forever to receive them.

#14 ·
Looks to me like they are raising prices on the quality synths, the Fibra's have gone up lately and some of the Legere's dealers are over the top asking $40+ for a single reed..ouch !!

I do use Fibracell as well, I just found one "on-sale" for my alto for $11.50 shipped, I grabbed it.. I also got a Legere alto Studio Cut for $20 shipped..that one I can exchange if needed..EBay is your friend haha

#15 ·
Let us know how they play....finding the right size with the more expensive ones gets just that, expensive....Legere had a trade back, so I got the right size for my soprano....I'd invest the 20+ if I had a way of knowing I was getting the right size....

#20 ·
These have been around for at least a year or two, but I haven't tried them because the price seems high for what I suspect is probably a second-tier synth reed product. Nobody cared when these hit the market, so it's hard to find any reviews. Also, I don't expect Ponzol would have come up with anything remotely suitable for classical playing. This is the same reason I haven't tried the Harry Hartmann Fiberreeds.

#18 ·
I have the Lade tenor (and alto) plastic reed. It works but is very bright. It is a very good buy and can be useful in the future. I am a beginner so I need to spend my time with cane reeds to learn. I also have the colored plastic reeds coming (red and yellow), so I will be eager for your thoughts on them.

#19 ·
ordered 2 of the black synthetic resin reeds via friendstore 168210 through ebay about 1-1/2 weeks ago the supplied information indicates that they have been shipped but for $2.36 each I just could not resist giving them a try I currently use Leger Signature which I like a lot but they are expensive but I suppose if the longevity is there then worth the price, anyway I will repost after I receive these reeds and try them.

#21 ·
There's a possibility if the Chinese things are actually a decent quality Resin type material and not cheapo plastic and that they may be shaveable.

That could be an answer to the obscene prices of the big makers Synths. that's why I got the 5 pack so I can shave or sand a couple and see what happens..or who knows the 2.5 size might play OK.

I will be very interested to see how you guys like yours and if you can doctor them to adjust them.

#23 ·
Well happy day to you too "Grumpy"

..somebody has to try these things out..I don't see any reviews of these Resin Lade's anywhere..I'm spending a bunch (too much IMHO) on Fibra's and Legere's..here's hoping I can make a good playing reed out of these things.

If I can it's good news for everyone..if not? well I blew the price of a decent cocktail..(OK I admit I'll wish I'd had the Cocktail instead)

Anyway whatever happens have a great day Grumps, I know you're looking out for me and I appreciate that...

#24 ·
Cash, I'd list it either under research or entertainment....not a waste....I have fun trying out new stuff...you never know what you'll discover.... :)

#28 ·
Well we all have our own take, I don't intend to eat them..but I presume if these reeds were poisonous somebody woulda cacked by now..actually I've seen the "LADE" name around for years, they sell a lot of products.

I sense a bit of paranoia, eh Grumps??

#29 ·
Still waiting for my Chinese cheapies..I practiced sanding a too hard BARI brand plastic reed. I usually shave a real Cane with a single edge blade. I had tried shaving the BARI but the plastic is very hard, I tried some 220 Grit black sandpaper and the reed cooperated nicely, working slowly I now have a very nice playing tenor reed from one I couldn't play.

Attachments

#31 ·
This is something I wondered about....I have several wrong size synths in the reed drawer....are you adjusting as you would cane or ?