Sax on the Web Forum banner

Repair of recorder

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Henning1 
#1 ·
Hello, my recorder from childhood has a crack in it. I have repaired lots of clarinets with cracks. But still I wan´t to ask here for a suitable glue. I don´t expect to play it so much.
Thanks in advance
Kind regards

P.S. I consider using hide glue but hesitate. Though feeling slightly brave for asking such a question here. :bluewink:

#2 ·
How large is the crack? Is it an open split?

Cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) is good for small cracks, and very stable with time. I have a guitar with cyanoacrylate repairs from 40 years ago.

#3 ·
What recorder is it? If it's one of the $3 green plastic ones just go buy another.

#5 ·
Hide glue is perfectly fine for cracked wood instrument bodies, we have a tendency these days to use super glue for everything and I do not really understand the logic behind it, yes it does work sometimes but IMO far from the best choice of glue.

Steve

#6 ·
Some timber recorders are saturated with paraffin wax. If that is the case then melting shellac into it might be worth considering. Glues will not stick, but shellac and oils/waxes are reasonably compatible.

#7 ·
Thanks for your responses. It´s a what I believe, a Czechoslovakian soprano that might be made of maple. The crack is in the mouthpiece part. It goes through the wall but not all through the length of the mpc part. I had quite a few of these and very many of them cracked. Why would not simple white wood glue be an option?
I think hide glue would be best for repairing of stringed instruments where the humidity isn´t affected by the players breath.
I got to oil it with wood wind oil remembering that I had a small bottle of Selmer bore oil for the purpose.

#8 ·
Hide glue is for fiddles as it allows for parts separation when necessary.
White glue has its uses but the slightly yellowish glue called Titebond..... I use the “original” one.... for Strings of spruce, maple, ebony, mahogany, rosewood, cedar, and cypress.
Learning to thin it, clamp/close it and still have glue holding after absorption is the goal.
Hypodermic needles of different size are shop tools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.