Sax on the Web Forum banner

Help Identifying a Craigslist Conn Alto

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
I was looking around on Craigslist this morning, and the price here caught my eye - $60. Now, it's a student-level Conn, and from what I could find through Google images, probably from the 1970s. Anyone out there with a keen eye for Conn vintage able to tell me more? I don't need it, but at that price, it wouldn't hurt to have another sax on-hand.

Thoughts? Thank you!

https://maine.craigslist.org/msg/d/saxophone/6393172400.html

#2 ·
That's from the Nogales factory. They're mediocre horns at best. I had one for about 2 decades before I finally upgraded to an A992. The keywork on my Conn was never really precise, even after a full overhaul from a very capable tech.(*) It played okay, but the sound was never all that great. $60 is a fair price, but I wouldn't buy it except as a horn for a student on a very limited budget.

*) Done as a favor to my pop.

#4 ·
To clarify something....this is an 18M and was actually made in USA.

Jeremy, you said "Nogales Factory" which implies to many a Mexico-made horn. This is not.

This model was produced under ownership of Danny Henkin, after he purchased the company from MacMillan and returned all production to US soil. This is when we see the 50M Shooting Star alto replaced by this 18M, and later the 20M.

Whether Henkin used the former Nogales Arizona factory or not is up in the air. But this is a USA horn.

Other than that, I concur with the rest of the comments. Built pretty well...rugged...reliable...ergos are decent. Doesn't sound very good, was definitely a student horn.

But again, $60 and say one needs to invest even up to $125 for tech servicing...still a very good deal.

#5 ·
To clarify something....this is an 18M and was actually made in USA.

Jeremy, you said "Nogales Factory" which implies to many a Mexico-made horn. This is not.

This model was produced under ownership of Danny Henkin, after he purchased the company from MacMillan and returned all production to US soil. This is when we see the 50M Shooting Star alto replaced by this 18M, and later the 20M.

Whether Henkin used the former Nogales Arizona factory or not is up in the air. But this is a USA horn.

Other than that, I concur with the rest of the comments. Built pretty well...rugged...reliable...ergos are decent. Doesn't sound very good, was definitely a student horn.

But again, $60 and say one needs to invest even up to $125 for tech servicing...still a very good deal.
Mine had the N serial number, which I always thought indicated the Nogales factory. Maybe they moved it back to the U.S. side of Nogales? Mine also didn't say "18M" on it anywhere, and it looked identical to the one in this CL ad, even had the same fleur de lis bell engraving.

#6 ·
the N prefix doesn't mean Nogales
Letter N simply means made in 1970,P 71 R 72 etc.
Conn used this system as a way of not running out of serial numbers.
Dave
and the M prefix doesn't mean Mexico.

If it is made with parts made in Mexico it often says Mexico

this is a 2003 post ( the search engine is our friend)

Here are the answers to the questions about my tour of the Conn-Selmer (UMI) tour that I took last month.

1. The prefix "N" does mean that the saxophone was manufactured in Nogales, Arizona.
2. The "MEXICO" stamp on the body tube indicates that some parts were manufactured in Mexico and then assembled in Nogales, Arizona. This occured during the late 70's and early 80's.
3. The neck of a 34M can be used in a 10M. There may be a adjustment problem with the slide but this can be adjusted at the Nogales Plant. If you want to purchase a 34M neck, contact the Conn-Selmer customer service department.
4. If you have a warranty problem with the finish on your horn, it can be refinished at the Nogales Plant. If it is not a warranty issue, then they will not accept it.

#7 ·

Those two quoted texts contradict each other. The first says it's part of the serial number (mine was not old enough to be made in 1970) and the second says the N indicates Nogales. I'm not any less confused now. FWIW, mine didn't have Mexico or U.S. or anything indicating a country of origin stamped on it anywhere.

#8 ·
By the way you mixed things that I wrote with things that other wrote.

Letter N simply means made in 1970,P 71 R 72 etc.
Conn used this system as a way of not running out of serial numbers.
Dave
Here are the answers to the questions about my tour of the Conn-Selmer (UMI) tour that I took last month.

1. The prefix "N" does mean that the saxophone was manufactured in Nogales, Arizona.
2. The "MEXICO" stamp on the body tube indicates that some parts were manufactured in Mexico and then assembled in Nogales, Arizona. This occured during the late 70's and early 80's.
3. The neck of a 34M can be used in a 10M. There may be a adjustment problem with the slide but this can be adjusted at the Nogales Plant. If you want to purchase a 34M neck, contact the Conn-Selmer customer service department.
4. If you have a warranty problem with the finish on your horn, it can be refinished at the Nogales Plant. If it is not a warranty issue, then they will not accept it.
those quotes say that neither N nor M mean Nogales nor Mexico they are date codes.

I didn't say that all horns assembled with mexican parts have always mexico on it (I wrote OFTEN which is not ALWAYS), but some undoubtedly do.

Like this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.