Sax on the Web Forum banner

Morgan Fry Super Vintage

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  AS sax 
#1 ·
Anyone play one? What are your thoughts ? Does anyone know how they compare to a Silver Navarro Bebop Special? There?s not much on reviews about the Super Vintage piece.

#2 ·
Hi wltrmaas. Obviously my opinion is biased, but I am also familiar with Navarro's Bebop. In comparison -- sound-wise, the Super Vintage has a lower center and more edge. So you may feel the Super is a bit more spread or warm and the Bebop a bit more direct. As far as feel, the beak is lower and the table is more nearly parallel to the bore, so you are blowing more straight down the reed and your mouth is in a little less open position.

#5 ·
thanks Nachoman. According to mfry they are more edgy (and spread and warm) than Bebop Special in metal. I know of course it is very difficult finding the correct words to describe a piece and of course there are allso more influences like player, reeds etc.
I am trying to identify which of the two would fit my bill best . I like the soundclip of the Silver Bebop Special of Mr Neff very much (not saying I would sound nearly as fantastic as him) Currently playing on a Okutsu Traditional II but the tip is too small for me and I am not sure it meets my expectations , so I am hesitant to order a bigger tip of this piece. Would like to hear/try a Super Vintage in 8* some day or maybe that would be too big for that design ?

#9 ·
My current tip on the Okutsu is a 7* (.104) and I use RJS 3 on it. It just feels small for me since I have allways played 8* or 9 (Navarro BBS and Bob Boy HR, 10mFan Robusto HR). I became interested in this piece because liked the review and soundclip but sadly I don't like the small (for me) tip. Had the same issue with the Tribute metal, very nice piece but it felt "confined"to me, as if I couldn't make the sound bigger. Don't know why exactly but it seems that I "think" that bigger in this case means more room to express the sound or more power, bigger sound. Probably this is a wrong concept in my mind :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.