Sax on the Web Forum banner

Vandoren 'Nino Mouthpiece W/Ligature

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Paul Cohen 
#1 ·
Purchased the Vandoren 'nino mouthpiece, and it came with a standard (but well made) brass ligature and cap. I searched for a pic of the ligature and cap before purchase, and could not find one online. Here it is:

Amber Automotive lighting Bullet Toy Font

The mouthpiece is fantastic..best one I have tried yet on 'nino.

See less See more
#3 ·
A Rovner sopranino ligature will dramatically change the response and tone quality of the reed. It will be less squeaky and bright compared to the traditional screw-type that came with it. I have tested this out extensively and can not escape the conclusion to the point where I purchased Rovner sopranino ligatures for most of my sopranino mouthpieces.

Paul Cohen

#4 ·
A Rovner sopranino ligature will dramatically change the response and tone quality of the reed. It will be less squeaky and bright compared to the traditional screw-type that came with it. I have tested this out extensively and can not escape the conclusion to the point where I purchased Rovner sopranino ligatures for most of my sopranino mouthpieces.

Paul did you ever try the Brancher ligs on sopranino? I like those a lot

#6 ·
I know little about their straps, I used to use their reeds which are close to Marcas ( I think...). . On my curved soprano I use a yanagisawa strap which came with the horn.

The branches ligatures are really for soprano and it's been awhile since I bought on but Brancher has a size for smaller dimensioned soprano macs that works. I was told about this by Matt at Saxforte and it's been a valuable tip. He carries them and might be the man to ask. I will say I really do like them and also use them on all my sopranos. My regards

#10 ·
Dr. Cohen, which Rovner ligature? I have used the Rovner Versa before, but it had the metal plates (it would seem this would still influence a brighter sound on the horn). I have ordered the Rovner Dark and the Brancher (fabric) and will experiment with both.

#14 ·
Back in this post I compared several sopranino ligatures. I've use the Rovner Versa and the Brancher Metal Model SMG. I dislike the Rovner because it is bulky and rubs my mustache when I play :) I like how easy it is to adjust the Brancher SMG.

I strive for an open, dark, classical sound and Brancher works fine for me.

BTW, my Vandoren V5 SM550 mouthpiece did not come with a ligature.

#15 ·
I've not yet tried the Brancher, but I have found that the Mark III Rovner has worked so well for my pursuit of a darker, classical sound, that I use them on at least 6 of my sopranino mouthpieces, and they are of different manufacturers, including Selmer (custom modified), Van Doren, Rampone, Buescher

Paul Cohen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.