Sax on the Web Forum banner

Baron Mouthpiece Editions, Differences Between Earlier and Later

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  dawson 
#1 ·
I've been following the recent Barone thread, and rather than highjacking it I thought I would ask this on a seperate thread. I have heard that there is sometimes variance between individual mouthpieces of the same model, it being said that this is due to them being handmade and sometimes tailored for an individual buyer. I am wondering if a model's overall design changed over time, like perhaps the chamber dimensions, baffles, etc.? I am aware of at least two editions: an earlier version with a serial number and the Made with Pride engraving, and a later version with less engraving on the body and without a serial number. Other than cosmetics, are these essentially the same mouthpiece, or did the design evolve over time? If they did change, which version do you prefer? Also, I have heard that some people struggle with Barone mouthpieces, and some do not. I am not really clear what it is about them that people find challenging or hard. Can anyone elaborate?
Thanks. Anything you can share is appreciated.

#2 ·
In the case of the Hollywood: Phil has said a few times on the forum, as well as on the phone to me, that he made them darker with the later runs...or possibly with each "generation". Of course he tweaked pieces to suit personal requests. I had a really great made in 2000 Hollywood that's the only mouthpiece I've played that's as flexible/ versatile and easy to play as the 10mfan Robusto I've been playing for about 8 months. Wish I could A/B them. I told Phil I bought that used Hollywood to play on the tenor I bought from him and he cleaned up the facing for me free of charge. Always a pleasure dealing with Mr Barone.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. How many versions of the Hollywood has he made? I am guessing at least three? One with the serial numbers and Made with Pride engraving; one with what looks to me like a polished brass finish without the serial numbers and just Phil Barone engraved on the top with a letter and size number on the side; and the current incarnation with a gold plated finish. Any others? Can anyone chart or break down the evolution?
There have been a few Hollywoods offered lately for good prices. I like the idea of a large chamber and stepped baffle that I have seen in a few pics. I'm curious if this piece has always been this way.

#5 ·
There's no difference between each model or at least very little unless I modify them for the individual. There have been three model Hollywood's; the first two were cast models. The second one had a little larger chamber which made it more free blowing and a little darker and more robust. The engraving is irrelevant since we only switched machines and the newer machine wasn't able to engrave the side of the mouthpiece. The newest one is machined from solid brass and is a copy of the second one and is perfect cosmetically but otherwise doesn't play any different than the second one. I am not aware of anyone struggling with my mouthpieces. Phil Barone

#10 ·
Just want to post a follow-up in case anyone is wondering about the Barone Hollywood. I have had one now for a brief time, and it's great. I think I have the second version as it doesn't have the side engraving and has the more brushed looking finish. From the pictures I saw before I actually had the piece I thought that perhaps the finish was polished brass, but it is gold plated, but it's got a nice brushed look rather than glossy. It has a really nice warm lush low end tone, and so far plays very balanced up and down for me, with an overall full and focused tone. From the pictures I saw I thought it had a higher baffle, but this one has a moderately long medium baffle that drops into a large chamber. It's warm but with good presence, and has a good pop if you push it. To me it sounds like a really nice Link with good presence and focus. When I first played it the lower register was pretty free blowing but the upper register had more resistance, but after trying different reeds it got better. Right now I am using a Vandoren Java 2.5 with it and it's free blowing and balanced up and down the horn. I am using the Hollywood on a '33 Conn Chu, and it sounds and plays great. I am sure that it's going to get better as I develop my chops for it. Anyway, no regrets with this mouthpiece. I am really glad that I was able to acquire this piece.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.