Sax on the Web Forum banner

Black plastic MP caps for Link STM?

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  tenorcat 
#1 ·
A couple years ago, I got a new Otto Link Super Tone Master online from Sam Ash Music. It came with a black plastic cap that has a "tunnel" on top to fit the ridge on the STMs.

I have two STMs the same size; one I got in the '70s and one in the 90's. So I play Fibracel reeds and it seems like one of the Links always works better on a new reed... so I do use all three of them.

At first I thought the black plastic caps were cheezy. But after figuring out that you can take a hair dryer to them so that they form fit to the ligature securely. I like that they are plastic and don't scratch like the metal. The lacquer on the original metal caps wears over time and causes tarnish. After using the cheezy plastic cap for a while, I just prefer it.

You would think that it wouldn't be that hard to get a replacement. But I have tried and failed so many times... I give up!

This is one of the sites I used to buy 2 six buck MP caps. I have bought from these guys many times with no problems.

They sent replacement metal caps, then sent the same caps again before we realized that the picture is wrong. I ordered from a different online company only to realized that many online music retailers use the same source. Even the Customer Service reps on the phone swore that the caps were black plastic and said Otto Link on them!!! Wrong photos throughout different retailers.

So after getting six metal caps sent to me for free... in the end they refunded my money and said keep the products. I still ain't getting hooked up with 2 cheezy six buck plastic mouthpiece caps...

Any ideas??

See less See more
#7 ·
"Seems" to have them. That is what I'm saying... this is one of the links I used, but got the same more expensive metal caps. The photo is wrong. If you can order two of them for me from this link... I'll pay you a hundred bucks... for each of them. And pay for shipping!!hahaha

I would assume that one could find a way to order from Otto Link. There must be a part number for that item... Can't you get the STM thumbscrew style Ligs that ship new?

I think if you are a Link player... you prolly won't want to give your plastic one up!! Besides, I like the Otto Link Logo. OK? And when I finally lose one... It's $6.99!!!

#9 ·
If you've got six metal ones (and only one MPC), I am sure that there are people out there who will happily trade you for their plastic one. Then sell the extra five. The metal ones have a vintage vibe that people like. When I ordered my Link it pictured a metal cap and I was a bit disappointed when I got the plastic cap.

#11 ·
The photo is the tip off. I don't care what web page you order from... Amazon, Woodwind Brasswind, Musician's Friend, whatever... that photo is wrong. They will send you metal caps. And if you talk to a live customer service rep, they will swear that you are going to get a plastic cap... but then ship the metal ones. Because they are seeing the same wrong photo that you are! I can tell by the part number that photo is wrong. Look at all the different sites that sell this particular product and notice that the Part Numbers are the same.

Look for the metal Link caps for $11... it's the same part number... but with a photo of the metal caps not plastic.

In the end, they refunded my money, sent me a UPS return authorization, so I sent them all back. I already have two OEM metal covers that I polished & dipped in conversion varnish, that are waay better than the junk they shipped.

That was two months ago. I talked to customer service, sent E-mails and wrote detailed product reviews. The reviews got deleted it seems and nothing ever got changed with the web pages.

It seems like I should be able to buy cheezy plastic MP caps all day long for $7 and have them mailed to me. NO?

#12 ·
The photo is the tip off. I don't care what web page you order from... Amazon, Woodwind Brasswind, Musician's Friend, whatever... that photo is wrong. They will send you metal caps.
obviously, from what you can read from this quote below, we have at least one plastic cap sold to a SOTW member, so I don't know where and how, but it is possible to buy them. ( yes the sax shop in the NL has them but the shipping will be probably 3 times the price of the cap)

How about exchanging caps with him? He seems to have a plastic cap ad wasn't happy to have it.

When I ordered my Link it pictured a metal cap and I was a bit disappointed when I got the plastic cap.

#13 ·
Right. Back to square one.

I get that all I need to do is order another new STM... and I too can have another cheezy but totally groovy plastic cap that says Otto Link on it.

A quick survey reveals that they don't show metal caps with new mouthpieces... only plastic ones! Right? Find me a link for new STMs that show the original metal style caps???

The question remains; How can one buy new OEM plastic replacement caps for the Otto Link Super Tone Masters?

#16 ·
Yeah, with out finding the shipping invoices, "O.L. Alto/Tenor mouthpieces" was printed on a stick on label for each plastic bag. They are generic gold metal caps for tenor or alto. I'm thinking that all these online retailers, have full-fill-ment arrangements with the same Wholesale Merchant you deal with. All my orders from, Amazon, Musicician's Friend and WWBW... shipped fast in the same boxes, with the same shipping labels, invoices and return instructions. Different vendor name on the invoices. Same Customer Service numbers.

So, how does one buy direct from JJ Babbitt? MojoBari, you deal with them? My horn tech told me the same thing, and that he would chase it down for me... but you know haw that goes. He is buried with guys calling up... DOOD I broke a spring last night and while your at it can you change the A, B & Bb pads and stuff is clicking too... and I have to have it for a gig tonight and recording tomorrow... Thanx Bubba! I've been avoiding calling him... the next sentence will be... have you had time to neck cork my soprano. That I left you two months ago. haha

#17 ·
I have only purchased glass guages from Babbitt direct 15 years ago. I needed to call on the phone or Email asking for info.

Recently I tried to purchase small quantities (<25) of mouthpiece blanks from Babbitt direct. They referred me to the AWM wholesaler. But AWM only sells to businesses.

AWM has hundreds of products. So it would not surprise me if some are not tagged correctly. But they are not automated. I can request that the cap be plastic not metal and a human will verify this.

#18 ·
Now that I have wasted so much time & energy on this stupid $&!T... I'm on a mission to sort this out. I can't believe buying a MP cap is a hard thing to do. I will E-mail Babbitt to see how to get plastic caps. I left a message for my horn tech yesterday... he is a real business and orders things wholesale in bulk. Thanx MOJO, stay tuned...

#19 ·
... here are E-mails;

To: info@jjbabbitt.com
Subject: Replacement Otto Link Mouthpiece Caps

Hello,

I bought a Otto Link Super Tone Master a few years ago. It shipped with a black plastic mouthpiece cap that has the "tunnel" on top with the company name.

Recently I tried to purchase two more black plastic MP caps for Old Links that I've played since the '70s. I found the plastic caps on Amazon for $7, then ordered two. Quickly, two metal caps were shipped to me. I called customer service and the representative who looked at the same web page I ordered from, confirmed that I had ordered plastic caps. The warehouse shipped the wrong product it seemed.

Quickly they sent me two more identical metal caps. It became apparent that the photo was wrong.

I then went to Musician's Friend, found the same photo and ordered plastic caps. Only to receive the same quick delivery, same shipping labels, invoices and return instructions... same metal caps. The only difference was the name of the online retailer. They refunded my money and sent me a UPS return code. I sent all six metal caps back.

My question is; Can I order STM black plastic caps? The shop that works on my horns is a legitimate retail business. Would that help?

... Quick reply;

Hi,

Don't know why it was so difficult to purchase the black plastic caps??

We don't sell direct & the caps should be available through any dealer that sells our mouthpieces.

However, since you have had such a hard time getting them, we will send you two caps.

Please reply with you full mailing address.

Sorry for the inconvenience you've had.

JJ Babbitt Co., Inc.

... We are sorta getting there. There are dealers? Who and where? Is there a list of retail dealers? I just want to be able to buy some, so i have spares.

... What does it take to become a retail dealer of the JJ Babbitt lines?

#20 ·
tenorcat, this is an amazing story. I got frustrated just reading the thread, so I can imagine how frustrating the whole thing must have been for you! Man, I can't believe a retail dealer can't simply SEE the difference between plastic and metal. Anyway it sounds like you finally got it sorted out. Just wait until Babbit sends you a metal cap. :) Hope that doesn't happen. Kind of like being trapped in a "Twilight Zone" episode.

I always hated those damn metal caps. And I don't like any cap that fits too loose and won't stay on. I use a Rico H lig because, in addition to being a good lig, it has the best plastic cap out there. Perfect fit without slipping off. Not sure they work on a Link though.

#23 ·
Customer service isn't dead. JJ Babbitt spent $3.16 to ship me two new plastic MP caps!

I'm very happy. They sent them in a new box too! Now my oldest STM bought from Leo @ House of Woodwinds in Oakland, has a new cap!! In 1976 STMs cost $59, and there was a wall of shelving stacked with every type and facing. I spent many afternoons in the practice rooms trying mouthpieces. Mostly clarinet MPs, but I tried a bunch of 5*s STMs one day to find this one. I like that it has a new cap... and a box.

[/URL]Otto Link STM-MP Caps by Clary Philipp, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.