Sax on the Web Forum banner

Mystery Tenor piece?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  B Flat 
#1 ·
Mystery Tenor piece…

I found this piece in the bottom of a drawer. Put it on the horn and… surprise! It actually plays well. You guys are gonna laugh because it appears to be a cheap student piece. The rails are thick! Does anyone know what this might be? At first I thought Keilwerth or EMS but those are a bit different. There is no writing or numbers on this piece. Thanks!

(the tip is chipped)

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Mystery Tenor piece…

I too ( like your initial thought) think this is a German ESM, the company which provides Jupiter of mouthpieces, I agree the design is slightly different but they adapt it to provide mouthpieces to other companies ( they sell stencils to several companies). Alternatively this might be a Chinese copy of ESM (which is a very inexpensive mouthpiece).

#7 ·

I have just recently been introduced to Runyon mouthpieces and fallen deeply in love with them... Well, OK, maybe that's overstating it a bit...
Let's say I have developed a lot of respect for all of them I've played.
They've all been baritone pieces.
> Three different Model 88's (the unmarked generic version, like the tenor Model 22 shown here), one of which Paul Coats refaced for me. I think I paid $17 for that one and Paul refaced it for free. I paid $15 each for the other two.
> A Custom Spoiler from the late '80s/early '90s, with the glued-in "Spoiler". I paid $12 for it and a couple of very good flute books at the Wonderland Music (Detroit) going-out-of business sale! It's like new and plays great!
> A metal Smooth Bore (I wrote "Quantum" earlier by mistake) from Weiner Music that I'm currently trying out. $160 from Weiner Music. Nice piece! But needs the right reed, to my mind/mouth/ear... Plasticovers are definitely not it... and I wonder if I'll ever see a need for the removable "Spoiler" that came with it... LaVoz and regular Ricos (from an old box) seem to work best thus far. I heard Nick Brignola was playing one of these at some point and I can see why.

They're all great, but my favorite in many ways is the Model 88, and I can't decide which facing... I think I may like the stock ones more. They are so versatile! Fantastic for - er - "Concert Band" which I hate playing in, but man they project great yet are not at all overbearing as in being too edgy. Great response and easy blowing!

#8 ·

Thanks everyone. Yes, i think this must be an unmarked Runyon 22 or 88. Both of these models are still being made by Runyon but not very big openings. The tenor only come in facings #3-#5 for both models.

#10 ·

The 88 looks nothing like that... at least the baritone version doesn't. Body, shank, beak... all different.
Just google Runyon Model 88 and you should find photos easily.
A lot of 88s are unmarked also, and those in particular go for very cheap. But they are great players, at least on baritone.
Bird did play a Model 22 for quite a while. I've also heard that many other good players are fond of the 22.
Paul Coats (of Sax Rax US) is the authority on these and all Runyons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.