TOTM for November 2017 - Someday My Prince Will Come - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TOTM for November 2017 - Someday My Prince Will Come

^^^Cant wait what you'll come up with man.
    Been a while doing a TOTM with you guys, need to find my mic and do some recording

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you didn't give up! I'll try and get time to have a blast over that backing over the weekend; has a nice feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by littlewailer View Post
    I tried for 2 hours yesterday to record a take. And I couldn't do it without feeling like I was seriously losing the form of the tune. The problem does indeed lay with the bass comping. The piano is a little weird at times but not too bad. I even stopped improvising and just played broken chords over the changes and every time the track would go out with what I was playing.

I'm going to record this with a better backing accompaniment (real people!!) next wednesday at Hermann's.

This used to be a go to song for me and in a few of the jazz groups I've played with over the years. Probably played it a thousand times. So the frustration got very high at the end of my practice/ recording session yesterday.

I found another backing track on youtube which is way straighter and hokier sounding. I had no problems keeping the form of the tune under my fingers. But the backing sounded like crap.

EDIT: Ok, I found this backing. Which now that I think about it I should have just started with in the first place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF-0l5iqCyc I'll post a take today no matter what. Mistakes and all. Because I honestly was about to give up after yesterday.

I've got a new recording set up too which I've been really wanting to give a try. The flubbed takes from yesterday all sound really good. Which is a bonus. At least I know the recording quality will be good.
    T: Silver Selmer BA 21***, Ed Pillinger NYTHB 7* mpc, Gonzalez Jazz Local 627 2.5, Francois Louis Pure Brass (silver)
    A: Selmer SA80 SII 570***, Meyer 7MM, Gonzalez Jazz Local 627 2.5, Francois Louis Pure Brass
    S: Keilwerth ST90 SIII, Meyer 7MM, Vandoren V16 2.5, Rovner Star Series

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://soundcloud.com/seanwintersax...-favorite-tune

I'm clearly out of my realm with these types of tunes. My comfort zone is in funk and rock and roll. But I still like giving these pretty tunes a blow from time to time. Although after so many takes on this tune I think I might take a break for a while
    Don't do drugs. Do Overtones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPySDpoSiY

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mrblackbat - very nice dark sound you're working with on tenor. I liked the intention of your lines. It sounds like you're used this tune. Like a stroll in the park. You had some really nice outside playing moments as well. The alto take was good. I do like your tenor sound more. But you sound just as comfortable with the finger wiggling :P

Taragot - The alto sounds a little constricted. I like your ideas and the melody. The first few minutes of the improv sound very solid but start to drop off coming towards the end of the tune. A very solid take for an early submission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another great interpretation of the melody, a very different approach to how I would go which is great to hear.

Loved the altissimo sections in the solo, really wails! I think you can hear some of your frustrations from previous takes coming through, and you can hear that this sort of song is outside your comfort zone though; it comes across as a little broken rather than really flowing.

The only thing, and this is down to taste so as much me as anything, in the melody to smear off the end of the Gs frequently, perhaps a bit too much for my personal liking! Just nitpicky little thibgs really.

Glad you got the take up though and definitely a good one overall!

I'm clearly out of my realm with these types of tunes. My comfort zone is in funk and rock and roll. But I still like giving these pretty tunes a blow from time to time. Although after so many takes on this tune I think I might take a break for a while [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forum.saxontheweb.net/images/smilies/razz.gif[/IMG]
    T: Silver Selmer BA 21***, Ed Pillinger NYTHB 7* mpc, Gonzalez Jazz Local 627 2.5, Francois Louis Pure Brass (silver)
    A: Selmer SA80 SII 570***, Meyer 7MM, Gonzalez Jazz Local 627 2.5, Francois Louis Pure Brass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm clearly out of my realm with these types of tunes. My comfort zone is in funk and rock and roll. But I still like giving these pretty tunes a blow from time to time. Although after so many takes on this tune I think I might take a break for a while
    Sounds good to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes this is definitely one of my favourite songs to play, I love the lilting feel of it, and the chord sequence of the first four bars is awesome!

Thanks for the kind remarks; tenor is definitely my go to horn, and I'm really happy with my tone at present! But yes being very familiar with the song lends itself to being able to really think about crafting a line instead of just regurgitating licks. It also gave me a bit more time to think about ending the phrases with intention instead of fizzling out, which I've been doing too much recently.

Having said that I'm enjoying playing alto again for the first time in years, tonally its a lot closer to where I'd like to be. Sat in on a big band gig last night depping on 2nd alto which was a lot of fun, I always used to stick out like a sore thumb in the sax section but blended far better... And also my sight reading is steadily getting better. Still rubbish, but better!

Mrblackbat - very nice dark sound you're working with on tenor. I liked the intention of your lines. It sounds like you're used this tune. Like a stroll in the park. You had some really nice outside playing moments as well. The alto take was good. I do like your tenor sound more. But you sound just as comfortable with the finger wiggling :P

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the frustration was definitely a thing. I might give it another go in a few weeks. Just so the cobwebs get cleared. I'm still going to Hermann's next Wednesday and will see if we can give this tune a go. Until then I look forward to hearing more submissions from folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not Paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ballad state of mind View Post
    And another totally different style! I struggled tracking the time a little in the opening part; it felt as if it was in 4 rather than 3 at times to me?

Distinguished SOTW Member Dave Pollack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrblackbat View Post
    Can't wait to hear them!
    I'll be posting a video tomorrow- something different, and something I think you'll all (hopefully) like!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So long as you aren't dressed as Snow White....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pollack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrblackbat View Post
    Can't wait to hear them! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forum.saxontheweb.net/images/smilies/biggrin.png[/IMG]
    I'll be posting a video tomorrow- something different, and something I think you'll all (hopefully) like!!

Forum Contributor 2015 Francisco Silva's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some day I will play like Kenny G, G of Garret While this day is not coming, it's just me.
    maybe I will update this file later

https://app.box.com/s/jlc5xolz6ezl6g0abrau01cpnt9jvwxt

Thanks for listening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here you go!! Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYDg-KlUOPc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here you go!! Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYDg

Talented guy...who on here can solo on both keys and alto!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
    Talented guy...who on here can solo on both keys and alto!
    Thanks so much!! I'm definitely not the only one, hahah, but I appreciate it!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice Dave, indeed a very talented guy!

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeebee View Post
    Appreciate that! I wanted to do something different and I think it worked pretty well on this tune.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeebee View Post
    Appreciate that! I wanted to do something different and I think it worked pretty well on this tune.
    Awesome stuff! Just need to get the bass keys guy to cheer up a bit.....

In all seriousness though, I really love the multi screen videos, and the balance and sound quality was spot on for this one! Epic stuff.

Also I love the control on the softly played high F# in the penultimate phrase of the melody. I'm always a little nervous playing softly up top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco Silva View Post
    Some day I will play like Kenny G, G of Garret [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forum.saxontheweb.net/images/smilies/smile.png[/IMG] While this day is not coming, it's just me.
    maybe I will update this file later [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forum.saxontheweb.net/images/smilies/cry.gif[/IMG]

https://app.box.com/s/jlc5xolz6ezl6g0abrau01cpnt9jvwxt

Thanks for listening.
    Nice effort Francisco, sounded like you were having a lot of fun with that one! Never thought I'd hear someone growling on this song!

I think it would have been nice to hear your take on the whole melody though. I would also recommend more time on the long tones as well, trying to work on supporting the airflow all the way from your diaghpragm through to the horn.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast