Beginner & Intermediate TOTM for November 2017 - A Time For Love

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member B Flat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Beginner & Intermediate TOTM for November 2017 - A Time For Love

Thanks to Francisco for hosting this months tune and also for asking me to host Novembers TOTM.
    I'm getting in a little early here as I may not have time tommorrow.

Novembers tune will be:
    A Time for love.
    By Paul Francis Webster and Johnny Mandel.

I came across this the other day while listening to some Zoot Sims recordings and thought it was a great ballad for saxophone.
    Heres a Link to Zoots version.

Some Dots and a backing here.
    More backings available on Youtube.
    https://app.box.com/s/le6l9muczjquk3gbgokvt88exjjv0b80

Hope to hear how you all approach this very nice tune.
    Nick.
    Sent from my iPhone using poor grammar and literacy skills.
    Quality Wrought Iron & (mediocre Sax Playing)
    www.warpironworks.com.au

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Beginner & Intermediate TOTM for November 2017 - A Time For Love

Thanks for preparing this new B&I TOTM Nick. For me an unknown song, looking forward to work on it.

I just moved your post to this new thread and added it to the B&I TOTM index:
    https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...65#post2617265

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Peter.
    www.warpironworks.com.au

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2015 Francisco Silva's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

" Depressa e bem nunca fez ninguém " (well and quickly no one does) is a proverb of my land, but here it is, I'm fast recorded yesterday, has some notes out of context on the improvisation, about 3 minutes and someting, but... my tenor, mpc Zinner 62B 6.

https://soundcloud.com/user2929757/a-time-for-love-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought, I'd be the first to post, but Francisco was even faster! In sport we would have jumped the start beginning in october, but this is music ...

I had to use my soprano, because my daughters are having a halloween party upstairs and needed my microphon stand for creating a sort of tent for sleeping in the living room, so I used this cool sds soprano double mic from sdsystem I bought some weeks ago....
    Not the kind of tune whichs calls for a soprano, but however ....
    Thanks for listening!
    https://soundcloud.com/taragot/a-time-for-love_sopran

Francisco, your tenor sounds much better than my soprano!
    saxes: sop:Yanagisawa S-800/ S-80 F alto:Bauhaus Walstein M2/ B&S metal tenor:Bauhaus Walstein M2/ B&S metal flutes: picc: YPC 62 fl:Forest/Brannen afl: Altus bfl: W.Wetzel/Cooper clarinets: ebcl: Amati/Riffault cl:Noblet artist/Vandoren B45 bcl: Forest/ Clarc Forbes Debut taragot: Timisua/Zinner bassoon: Selmer Signet/Legère

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, one more take on tenor, which makes more sense than soprano somehow. Because the micstand is part of the tent, I took the bellmic of my soprano pickupmic, which leads to really weak middle b's and really boomy low b's. (plan for november: learning subtone)
    However, I've paid my dues with two tracks before the month even started .... https://soundcloud.com/taragot/a-time-for-love_tenor
    saxes: sop:Yanagisawa S-800/ S-80 F alto:Bauhaus Walstein M2/ B&S metal tenor:Bauhaus Walstein M2/ B&S metal flutes: picc: YPC 62 fl:Forest/Brannen afl: Altus bfl: W.Wetzel/Cooper clarinets: ebcl: Amati/Riffault cl:Noblet artist/Vandoren B45 bcl: Forest/ Clarc Forbes Debut taragot: Timisua/Zinner bassoon: Selmer Signet/Legère

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow you guys didn’t waste any time.
    @francisco: a nice first effort, timing on the melody seemed a little off in places but that’s possibly due to the backing not having a strong beat to follow.
    @Tarogot: I thought the soprano worked quite well on this tune.
    You played the melody nicely and followed with a good solo section.
    To be honest I never really listened to the backing track in full before so I was surprised to hear it change into a bossa type feel halfway through.
    You handled this well.

Thanks to both for getting involved in this one.
    www.warpironworks.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just sneaking this one in while I can.
    I didn’t like the bossa part of the backing track so I cut and pasted the first section.
    I did a pretty sloppy job of it too, so please excuse the very obvious merging of tracks.

1932 Selmer Super,
    Florida STM USA 10,
    Rigotti 2.5 Med.
    https://app.box.com/s/a2xx0bx6xq45zaubk3lizob0j0we9wbr
    Nick.
    www.warpironworks.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Nick, I agree, at the beginning of the backing the beat is a bit weak and I almost lose it

Taragot, thanks for listening, very good solo, very nice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B Flat View Post
    Just sneaking this one in while I can.
    I didn’t like the bossa part of the backing track so I cut and pasted the first section.
    I did a pretty sloppy job of it too, so please excuse the very obvious merging of tracks.

1932 Selmer Super,
    Florida STM USA 10,
    Rigotti 2.5 Med.
    https://app.box.com/s/a2xx0bx6xq45zaubk3lizob0j0we9wbr
    Nick.
    Nice one Nick, good tone and control. And I can use your take to learn the melody of this for me unknown song (my reading sucks, I need my ears!).

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Peter.
    Your ears must be pretty good because you always seem to do a very nice job of the our takes.
    www.warpironworks.com.au

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B Flat View Post
    Your ears must be pretty good because you always seem to do a very nice job of the our takes.
    Thanks Nick. Actually I can read chords and notes, but playing a for me unknown melody from a score is always difficult (I never got music lessons). If I know how the melody sounds it's not a problem (I know a lot of melodies by ear from having listened a lot to Jazz), but otherwise I need to hear it a few times before I can play the notes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taragot,

Nice work on soprano. I’m curious, are you using a lip vibrato or a diaphragm vibrato like you’d use on flute? It sounds like that he latter...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank's for listening, John!

I’m curious, are you using a lip vibrato or a diaphragm vibrato like you’d use on flute? It sounds like that he latter...
    Yes, I play with a kind of flute vibrato, whereever this comes from. Do you think, I should work on lip vibrato? I never had sax lessons (no stop, I had one some weeks ago) and lip vibrato sounds unnatural when I use it - but I never thought too much about vibrato when playing sax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you should do what works for you. I use a lip vibrato, but I tend not to go too wide or particularly fast.

It sounded quite nice to my ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a brilliant take of this beautiful song on Kenny Garrett's Triology album:

https://open.spotify.com/track/4QXeF...RqiSLazoO-9bCw

I'll see if I get time to do a take or two this weekend!
    T: Silver Selmer BA 21***, Ed Pillinger NYTHB 7* mpc, Gonzalez Jazz Local 627 2.5, Francois Louis Pure Brass (silver)
    A: Selmer SA80 SII 570***, Meyer 7MM, Gonzalez Jazz Local 627 2.5, Francois Louis Pure Brass
    S: Keilwerth ST90 SIII, Meyer 7MM, Vandoren V16 2.5, Rovner Star Series

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alto version.
    I usually improvise playing the pentatonic scale up and down etc, this time I tried to follow the chords for each bar, do not know if I had much success.

https://app.box.com/s/89hne6f267f0embwedrirokbtwfisj8d

Startone SAS-75; mpc Rico B5; Vandoren jaZZ 2.5 tenor reed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not time for playing at this moment but i have to consoling myself after the football disaster of yesterday

My quick and dirty sight reading:

https://soundcloud.com/guido-creo/a-...-love-20171114

Ciao
    T Rampone & Cazzani R1Jazz - JJ Giant 7* - DV Chi 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M - Hemp MH
    B Keilwerth sx 90 - JJ DV 7* - Hartmanns Fiberreed Hemp M
    S Rampone & Cazzani Super - Drake SOS 7 - Fiberreed Carbon M - Hemp M

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guido, my condolence with the Italian soccer team (I know how it feels, Holland didn't qualify either!) and my congratulations with your take, even while it sounded a bit shaky (must have been shock from the soccer!).

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Here is my quick and dirty take for this month.

I had big issues getting something recorded, especially because of my bad reading and the backing track (too busy piano player, very slow tempo and the strange Latin rhythm after the theme). So I made the backing much faster, restricted the piano player (by splitting the stereo backing track into two mono tracks and decreasing the piano track and increasing the bass track volume) and improvised my way through the theme! Difficult to play something interesting, but here is my take anyhow:

- 'A Time For Love' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2):
    https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13656493

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Francisco and Guidocreo:
    Both have done a good job over what is a frustrating backing IMO.
    Timing still seems a little off in spots Francisco, which is understandable considering the backtrack.
    I wish I could find a better backing for this as it would make a lot of difference overall.
    @mrpeebee:
    I liked how you managed to speed up the backing.
    And your improv within the theme.
    You also did well dealing with the strange latin change in backing.

I've been struggling to find any time to play lately so not sure if I'll get another shot at it this month.
    www.warpironworks.com.au

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast