Sax on the Web Forum banner

Is this a the real deal, 100% original laquer Otto Link Tone Master

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  1saxman 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I bid on this item on eBay for a Otto Link Tone Master mouthpiece and it looks like I s in perfect condition! I thought it looked really good and of course I was skeptical so I messaged the seller and he said he believes it hasn?t been replayed. The seller is selling the mouthpiece for a friend who?s father just died and played Saxophone and apparently met Otto.

Here is a link:!https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/232537124723

So the only doubt that I have that it isn?t original is the stamped word ?special? on the side looks like it got filled in or something.

Should I have bid on this or no?

Any thing would help!
Jo

#2 ·
I am by no means an Otto Link expert so don’t take my word for it others like Mrpeebee have real experience here.

BUT

I really don’t think it is possible that this wasn’t replated at some stage, and even possibly rather recently replated, unless it had remained sealed in some vacuum container all those years to look THIS shiny!

Another thing is the word “ special” which appears filled in by the plating (even if this was done originally would they have done this bad of a job?).

One thought.

I don’t understand the “ afterthought” or hindsight.

These thing you have to ask before you buy not after you already bought the item.

Good Luck!

#11 ·
I am by no means an Otto Link expert so don't take my word for it others like Mrpeebee have real experience here.

BUT

I really don't think it is possible that this wasn't replated at some stage, and even possibly rather recently replated, unless it had remained sealed in some vacuum container all those years to look THIS shiny!

Another thing is the word " special" which appears filled in by the plating (even if this was done originally would they have done this bad of a job?).

One thought.

I don't understand the " afterthought" or hindsight.

These thing you have to ask before you buy not after you already bought the item.

Good Luck!
I think this "afterthought" or hindsight is typical now with buyers on ebay, as they know that ebays pathetic one sided rules always favor the buyer.
There is now no onus on the buyer to do even basic research into what they bid on as they can always return it.

#16 ·
I hear - I sold a pair of shoes with size stated clearly, including the note that they had the normal, expected fit for the size. The buyer wanted a refund because he thought they were very big. I basically told him he didn't know his own shoe size. He tried to give me a negative but only managed to make a negative comment in a positive feedback. Same mentality on music items - buyers frequently 'don't like' saxes, mouthpieces, etc. and want refunds. I always list 'no returns'. I don't care if you like it or not - the only thing that matters is if it is what I said it is. If it is, you're stuck with it. If I made a major mistake, I'll gladly take it back and refund. Its a damn auction, not Wal Mart.

#8 ·
Not being a Link guy, I really have no idea on value. Typically one avoids heavily-buffed and re-plated mouthpieces because they obviously have been altered in critical areas and there's no telling how it would play. OTOH if the work had been done by a known re-facer and then plated, its possible it could play as good or better than original. It does not appear to me that this one had any such attention - it was just cleaned, buffed and plated. IOW, everything could be the same as it now appears except the table, rails and tip would have file marks and sharp edges. The tip baffle area could show file/sanding traces or it could be polished depending on who did it. In this case these features are all soft/rounded and the entire baffle has been polished, indicating the table area was held to a buffing wheel using polishing compound.

#10 ·
I agree it appears to be re-plated. The problem I would have buying something like this, if I was in the market for a 5 Link (I'm not), is you have no idea how well it plays. Given the high price, it's way too much of a risk, imo.

Just for the record, the thread title is bit off; plating is not the same thing as lacquer. As far as I know, mpcs are not lacquered, so there's no such thing as an original lacquer Otto Link.

#14 ·
Hey everyone,

So I bid on this item on eBay for a Otto Link Tone Master mouthpiece and it looks like I s in perfect condition! I thought it looked really good and of course I was skeptical so I messaged the seller and he said he believes it hasn?t been replayed. The seller is selling the mouthpiece for a friend who?s father just died and played Saxophone and apparently met Otto.

Here is a link:!https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/232537124723

So the only doubt that I have that it isn?t original is the stamped word ?special? on the side looks like it got filled in or something.

Should I have bid on this or no?
No. If you don't know the market sufficiently well to be confident in your own assessment, you should not bid on it. No one else will be responsible for this - great, ****, or otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.