Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fats Domino

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fats Domino

'1saxman, are you learning the tenor solo in I'm walkin' by ear from the record?'

Yes, as usual. I've heard it so many times all I have to do is get all the licks in order and get the inflections/nuances. They're doing in in Ab and I need practice in that key so it'll be good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
    Yes, as usual. I've heard it so many times all I have to do is get all the licks in order and get the inflections/nuances. They're doing in in Ab and I need practice in that key so it'll be good.
    That sounds like the best way, good luck with the learning process!

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It won't be any problem. One time I opened my mouth and talked the band I was in into doing King Curtis's version of 'I Was Made To Love Her'. Now that got my attention. 'Divide and conquer' is the rule on something more involved/difficult so I determined it consisted of four-bar phrases, like a lot of music. I drew a graphical representation of the series of eight-bar lines separated into four-bar phrases, writing in only the notes at the start of each. So not only did I have to learn that, I had to learn how to actually play a lot of it including hitting reliable G3s and being able to hold one for four bars at high volume. Plus, there were other altissimo notes I hadn't used much that I had to work on as well as how to play the song with the side Bb held down for the most part. It all came together and we opened with that monster many times.
    How would you like to have that looking you in the face right off the bat at the beginning of the job? So you can see this little ride in 'I'm Walkin' is not going to be any trouble. In order to do it, you have to be able to fill up the horn with air to make the lower register speak.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
    It won't be any problem.
    That's what I expected!

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for the moment I'm going to be a contrarian. I love the 2 sax solos in the original recording. I could see playing along with those solos to get the feel and phrasing and some of the licks and note choices. But the idea of playing the solos note-for-note bothers me. I assume those solos were at least partly, if not largely, improvised. I would be bored playing those solos exactly as recorded. It seems to me that the point of the solos is to express yourself in that idiom by improvising solos that are in the style but not exact replicas. Playing the recorded solos note-for-note with the same timing and rhythm seems to me to take the spontaneity and the feeling out of them. This is not to diss the idea of learning the solos exactly as recorded. I'm expressing my personal preference. YMMV. Play on ...
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lee Allen once told me the reason I got the gig with Fats is because I played in the style and knew the solos as opposed to to going to far out, which one or two of the horn players sometimes did when they got bored.

Lee would not necessarily play the jambalaya solo note for note, but probably did it the way he would in the studio, i.e. base it off the same ideas and gradually hone it. The usual format was to play the tune with solo like the record, but on a good night the solo would come back at the end and fats would "cut the soloist loose" and the solo would then develop. He was very good at knowing the audience, when to do that or just bang through the set without too much variation form the version people knew. But was great at "reading the audience". Lee respected him enormously, saying he had "motherwit", i.e. a sort of intuition about people and performing. Not everyone had the same respect though.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: get a great sound without the boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete, do you have recorded performances from your time with Fats?

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeebee View Post
    Pete, do you have recorded performances from your time with Fats?
    Somewhere I do have a cassette, I think it was from the Royal Albert Hall in London. Or it might have been Oslo.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: get a great sound without the boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Somewhere I do have a cassette, I think it was from the Royal Albert Hall in London. Or it might have been Oslo.
    Would be nice to hear those recordings Pete, but I guess you don't have a digital version available on your site.

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John Laughter View Post
    Kind of hits home to those of us who started to play sax in the mid 50's. He featured a sax solo or sax section on just about all of his hits along with Little Richard, James Brown, Johnny & the Hurricanes, The Champs, Bill Doggett, Billy Vaughn and many more.

Those of us who played in the local garage bands back in the day will always be glad we grew up in that era. The inspiration to practice was on every jukebox, radio station and T.V. And if bands wanted to get hired for the good gigs they usually had to have at least one sax, and even better if we had a horn section. Many of us older players owe a lot of thanks to the early Rock & Roll and R&B musicians for featuring many awesome sax players.

Fats Domino's music will live on!
    His music and Saxes totally inspired me, John you said it better than I could.

Cash's vintage Demo Recordings circa '99-'03 SF Bay Area www.box.net/cashsax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2