How many mouthpiece sizes do you have for the same mouthpiece and why?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How many mouthpiece sizes do you have for the same mouthpiece and why?

How many mouthpiece sizes do you have for the same mouthpiece and why? Do you go back and fourth between two different size mouthpieces for various reasons. Maybe a smaller opening on same mouthpiece for quieter gig settings? Or maybe the same mouthpiece but one opening larger for all out gig settings? What are your thoughts on this subject?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How many mouthpiece sizes do you have for the same mouthpiece and why?

I'd also be interested in knowing what different/same reeds people use on these.
    Yamaha YTS-62iii tenor/Paraschos Selmer Neck/Vandoren T20/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Cannonball BBSS Brute alto/Selmer Concept MOJO/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Buffet Prodige clarinet/Vandoren Masters CL6/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How many mouthpiece sizes do you have for the same mouthpiece and why?

OK I'll bite...I have six tenor mpcs...all slightly different, they range from .105 to .125 tips. I can work a gig on any of them.

I have 2 Lakeys, a hard rubber 90's model 7*3 and an old handmade orig HR 9*3, these are simply work horses.... then I got two 10mfans, a metal BOSS 9 and a HR Black Widow 8*3..great mpcs

..also on tenor I have my well played and refaced Guardala Laser Trim Super King (oh yeah, I also have a spare DG SK LT unplayed in the box tenor mpc) and lastly an emergency M7 Metalite..I do play them ALL depending on different situations...but honestly, probably like a lot of us, I play the same ones most of the time.

On Alto I have just 3 mpcs..I have an M7 Brilhart metalite for kicks, and an 8*3 HR Lakey tipped at .095 which is a great all around mpc, and a very special goldplate metal Sakshama DG studio clone at .090 (my fave)..

For my Bari..nothing special, I had a Delrin Runyon Quantum #12 but I dumped it after my last Bari gig.. I still got 2 Metalites, M7 & M9..

On my Sop I play a BARI brand HR at .074 and a hot-rodded gold metal BARI Hawk II #8..anybody's guess what size tip, but it plays great..

I do go back and forth on occasion... but actually like I said in reality I stay mostly on the best of the bunch. But I do think it can be helpful to have a spare mpc or 2 in the case..Just in Case

I am currently starting to use Legere and in the past I've also used Fibracells a lot too. When I played Cane they were mostly Rico Plasti-covers or Van Doren cane. 1.5 to 2.5's depending on the Mpc.

Cash's vintage Demo Recordings circa '99-'03 SF Bay Area www.box.net/cashsax

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, of the same I have 4* and 5* metal "Designed by Arnold" Brilhart Alto - as to why, I wanted to try a metal alto mouthpiece hence the 4* then I saw a 5* and thought ok what will the difference be Hmm!!
    YAS 62, Brilhart Level Aire 4*,...... Carved Alto Saxophone Ligature Double Screws Nickel Plated

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2007-2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use my Robusto hard rubber for everything I could possibly need.

One tip, one model— absolutely does it ALL for me.

The days of mouthpiece hunting are long behind me.
    I wish you all the same joy!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always a wise-guy...LOL Mark just kidding..for me so far my BOSS if flat out the BEST EVER tenor mpc I ever played..love ya man..!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 10mfan View Post
    I use my Robusto hard rubber for everything I could possibly need.

One tip, one model— absolutely does it ALL for me.

Hey Mark. You should try a Black Widow. It's a Robusto SLAYER!!!

Forum Contributor 2007-2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some people it will be.
    For me, the Robusto just does it all. I hope you are well.

Right back at ya, Cash!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK I haven't tried the Robusto.. I will say my 'Widow is right next to my BOSS, but I'm still waiting for the right reed on the BW..I use #2 Legere Sig on a BOSS #9 it is incredible..I got great reviews today at the gig..!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After having bought and selling a lot of mouthpieces I only have 2 tenor mp's that I use.

Mp's: JodyJazz DV NY 8* and JodyJazz Giant 8*
    Reeds: Java Red 3, V16 3 and Ricoh Select Jazz 3M

Choice of reeds depends on my mood I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always found it to be really interesting the differences between mouthpiece to mouthpiece, even if they were the same model. At one point I had something like 4 Short Shank Soloist 7*’s, an 8 and an 8* and I always loved comparing and contrasting them. I’ve now sold them all except for my main piece, one of the 7*’s, as it just had all of the good attributes of every soloist I’ve ever played but in one single piece. It’s great to experiment though!

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a 'one-mouthpiece' guy although I have a backup piece that I have gigged a few times. The main piece is an original Guardala 'King Curtis' (ostensibly a .120 but really a .116) the backup is a Barkley Hybrid Killer 9, at .120, which inside and outside is basically a Guardala KC but with a resin body and metal shank. I use the same reeds on both, Rico Royal 2 1/2 and the shank bores fit the same cork with no problems. After years of also running a main tenor and a backup, I have been playing exclusively the MK VI. I have $2200 worth of primo necks (2) that I'm no longer using on it. I don't know, I guess in my many years of playing I'm just coming back to having one horn, one good neck (preferably the original) and one good mouthpiece, maybe with an extra for backup.
    But never, ever, did I have several of the same kind of mouthpieces in different tip openings. I've had multiple mouthpieces many times over the years as I tried different things, sometimes making the switch, but I see no point in having multiples of the same thing in different facing sizes. My personal reason for this is I have noticed a tendency in my playing to degrade when I play different tenors and/or different mouthpieces. I've only been concentrating on the one tenor and mouthpiece for a couple of months and the results have been fantastic. All my playing life that's the way it was, because I couldn't afford another good tenor or other good mouthpieces. Consequently I was playing the same stuff all the time and I firmly believe that's the key to rapid improvement - at least for me.
    I know I am a certain way, like with a mouthpiece. If I get a mouthpiece that blows for me right away but maybe is not sounding just right, I keep messing around with it at home, then start using it at rehearsals. Once I get to this point, I'm ready to play it in public. Once I do this, which can take several months because of fewer gigs these days, the mouthpiece has become mine. If this mouthpiece differs in shape significantly from the mouthpiece I was playing before it, I can't play the old mouthpiece anymore. For example, in going from a Level Air to a Guardala, after adapting to the Guardala I could never play a Level Air again. This actually happened in 1989 when I made that change. I eventually gave my son the Level Air which he still has, but neither one of us can play it after we both went through the big mouthpiece change. I had played that 9* Level Air for 23 years. So for whatever reason, I am the type that finds horns and mouthpieces and gets used to them to the exclusion of others. But even so, if you are a pro or semi-pro player and people depend on you showing up ready to play and sounding like you always do, it becomes prudent to maintain a backup horn and mouthpiece that work for you to continue to be pretty much 'the same'. You can play around with various combinations too. in my case sometimes I like to play the Barkley on the MK VI just to be doing something different. I guess its saying something for the Barkley that I can go back and forth with it and the mouthpiece I consider the best of my life. Its also comforting to know that should something happen to the Guardala that I can play the backup with no concerns for quality in any respect. In fact, it has 'boomier' low notes than the Guardala and actually plays a little louder. In combination with my backup tenor, a Selmer USA, the combination was so loud at one place I play that the next time was when I went back to the MK VI and Guardala, and that was also when I started really appreciating how sweet that combination was.
    So, bottom line, some players can hurt themselves by constantly playing mouthpieces with different facings even when they are the same make/model, because you are never allowing yourself the time to fully adapt to any of them. I feel strongly that you have to settle on a mouthpiece. A good mouthpiece can be used under any circumstances. What you do is, you keep different make/strength reeds that may have different timbres for using the same set-up under different circumstances. Plus, a good player knows how to play differently to fit in with the surroundings. A good sax and mouthpiece can whisper or scream - it doesn't have to do either one all the time.

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
    So, bottom line, some players can hurt themselves by constantly playing mouthpieces with different facings even when they are the same make/model, because you are never allowing yourself the time to fully adapt to any of them. I feel strongly that you have to settle on a mouthpiece. A good mouthpiece can be used under any circumstances. What you do is, you keep different make/strength reeds that may have different timbres for using the same set-up under different circumstances. Plus, a good player knows how to play differently to fit in with the surroundings. A good sax and mouthpiece can whisper or scream - it doesn't have to do either one all the time.
    Amen.

I had Lamberson mouthpieces in J6, J7, J8, L7, and L8. I have since sold them all and play my Phil-Tone Intrepid 7* on my silver plate Borgani Jubilee ("big bore") and a Ben Allen 10E on my silver pearl Borgani OBT (smaller bore/bell). Those setups cover it all since I'm not playing classical quartet at the moment.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the old model Woodwind Co. / Riffault tenor mpcs in .075; .080; .082; .090; .092; .095; and .100.

Because that is my collection of them. If I were not winding down, I would get more.

The .075 is a real first rate legit piece that holds its own with my Ronald Caravan.

The .100 is a Carpenter reface and is wonderful for straight-ahead combo work.

My next largest selection of one mpc is the Brilhart Ebolin, where I have a 5 digit serial number #3 (.076 and in the original box); a #6 (.085); and a modern reface by Philtone (.095) that can't be beat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great advice and experiences so far! Keep em coming! Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two Tone Edge sopranos: a 6* (1980s era) which was refaced by Sebastian Knox, and a 7* (current issue) refaced by Phil Engleman. I feel like I waste a lot of time swapping back and forth between the two, and that I don't really get to know either piece as well as I could as a result - but they are both so extraordinary that I can't put either of them in the drawer for more than a day or so.

The Knox is rich in character, with a little bit of edge; the Engleman is large and dark. Both are impeccable in articulation/response, and unusually reed friendly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree with 1saxman, just one set-up is best if possible. Well I suppose if I always played with the same group and similar venues that would be pretty easy..But to me I like the flexibility of letting the mouthpiece do some of the work for me.

For instance, I find at times that I have to blend with a traditional big band sax section or maybe a ship gig horn section, I think my Lakeys are good for that. A Lakey will provide a solid edge and big sound, but it is a relatively tame as far as extreme edge heavy volume solo work goes.

Honestly I have mostly played my Laser Trim Super King over the last 15+ years, It's been played on my Jazz trio gigs, Rock and Blues shows on big and not so big stages and rooms. So for many years I carried only two Tenor mpcs, one hard rubber Lakey and the Laser trim DG.

Over time with my Lakey tenor mpc I found myself moving up in tip size from the very first rubber Lakey 6* that I bought from Claude himself back in the 70's..I loved that Lakey and I've continued playing one on tenor ever since..I "progressed" to a 7* for a period of time, then to a 8* for a very long time and a couple yrs back I swapped it for a rare 9* tipped at .121

A few month back I decided after some late nite listening and perusing on the ol' interweb that I would try something different for a series of restaurant low volume gigs that I've been working.. I went back to my (ancient) roots and bought a couple of Links (1 HR 7* 1 metal 8*) to go for a different and much more subdued sound, as I have folks eating and talking 10 feet away from my bell..well too much time had passed and I couldn't find my sound at all and after a month or two I gave it up.

At that point I still had my chops, but my sound concept WAS a bit muddied..enter good ol' SOTW..I began to search for a mellower and yet not too mellow and easy-to-play set-up for these softer venue deals..That's where the 10mfans came in..I listened for a loooong time before striking a deal with Mark on a Hard Rubber Black Widow 8*..well it took me awhile to receive the BW..they are extremely popular and I was not first in line, so the order took a few weeks. In the meantime (due to my own lack of patience while waiting) here's what happened after a Cabernet fueled evening..

I spot a smokin' deal on the vaunted 10mfan metal BOSS #9 for a price I simply could not resist.. so I succumbed to the siren call and a week later it was mine..(are you guys gettin' where I'm going with this)..??

At this point I guess was having GAS bad..then enter more Cabernet and another fine evening on fleaBay I spot a brand new old stock from the '90's Lakey 7* HR and the price was right ($85 shipped)...and man I knew the 7* at .113 would be an easier blowing mpc compared to my .121 9* Lakey and I could use up some hard reeds that I had wasted a bunch of bread on..damn, what was I thinking??

Then while still in the throes of my gear acquisition syndrome..I bought a couple of Baritone Metalites for a recently acquired Baritone sax, I bought an M7 & M9 so I could check which was better, (I like both so I kept 'em)..well they sounded really good and while reading the forum Metalite threads I realized I'd played and sold quite a few Metalites over the years but never really dialed one in on Tenor..I had played both M11 and M9 tenor 'pieces, which after reading the threads realized was not the greatest choice for me. I figured what the hell I'll try an M7 at .105 for a small tip experience, well guess what? it's a killer little mpc. Flexible as hell, loud or lush and plays very easy with a very nice tone. OK I'm keeping it. Great for when I want to throw a mpc in the glovebox. Is that 6 yet..?

Oh yeah (this ain't over yet) somewhere along the line a I see a fellow SOTW'er is blowing out an unplayed mint LT Goldplated DG Super King for an extremely LOW price..btw I love my Super King to death, and in fact I had played it to death, plus I had ham-handedly "refaced" it myself several times along the way..for the record I recently had it professionally restored and refaced, it plays as good or better than new..anyway it's a GEM to me for a certain extreme edge..also the way prices are headed for DG's in general (even the LT's) the mint orig "spare" was another deal I simply couldn't pass up..

So there you have it..my confessions as to why I actually have SEVEN different and playable tenor mpcs at my disposal..and yes I suppose I could live with just one..

Really I suppose if there IS a lesson here it's stay the hell away from the Cabernet..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only use the one mouthpiece on tenor (a metal BOSS 9*, but I'd also like to try a 9 at some stage) BUT on alto, I have a metal Theo Wanne Durga 9 and a HR Theo Wanne Durga 9. I realise the subject of this thread concerns multiple sizes for the same mouthpiece model but I thought it worth chiming in about my two mouthpieces in the same size but in different materials. There's actually a considerable difference between the two and I use the metal piece for my regular work, and the HR for gigs requiring something a fraction more mellow tone-wise but with the same general response and feel.
    SAXES: Soprano: Yanagisawa S880 with Theo Wanne HR Gaia 11 | Alto: Yamaha YAS62 "Purple Logo" with Theo Wanne HR & metal Durga 9 | Tenor: Selmer Serie III (with Warburton Modular Neck) & B&S Medusa with Theo Wanne metal Durga 9 & 10MFAN Boss 9* | WIND CONTROLLERS: Yamaha WX5 & AKAI EWI4000S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have currently 33 tenor mouthpieces, from which 23 Otto Link tenor pieces (I'm a collector). They range in tip size from a 4* to a 12.

I play and record some of them sometimes for fun in private, but for outdoor and band rehearsal stuff I'm a one piece guy (because of reasons already stated by others in this thread).

My main piece for outdoor playing (since 2010) is my Florida no USA 10* mouthpiece. I use and play my cane reeds for a long time (up to 6 month), but sometimes switch to my Florida no USA 9 (which has the same facing curve, but plays a bit easier than the 10* because of the smaller tip size) when I have to break in a new reed that plays too hard on the 10*. After breaking in I use the 10* again until the reed dies.

Check here if you want to see some pictures of my collection:
    https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...=1#post2132764

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two Meyers for my alto, 6M and 7M. For me, the 6M has more flexibility. I can really push it with a more focused sound, or pull back and play soft and mellow with a warm round tone. The 7M is tough to push, and doesn't quite have the bite that the 6M has, but it has a nice round tone. The 6M gives me more of a spectrum to work with. To put it in perspective, I can go from Vincent Herring to Paul Desmond without a fuss. The 7M is more on the Desmond side. I'm always playing on the 6M which is probably why i'm more flexible on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast