Sax on the Web Forum banner

B & S Sonora Tenor

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  soybean 
#1 ·
Hi I have one of these Saxophone's, I am trying find out more about it I have a serial number can anyone help please

#3 ·
It could be a Weltklang-era one, does it read "Germany" or "GDR" on it ? If Weltklang-made, it would have traditional keywork mechanisms, and was made in East Germany. Huge tone, bowl-'em-over big; not very swift in the action but some spring adjusting can usually help that considerably. In good shape worth around $500-600.

If it is a later B&S one, with the more modern-style keywork, then at that point they got the keywork down pat and these are nice horns, the whole deal - worth maybe around $750-850 in good shape. It would have been made after German reunification.

Many Sonoras were silverplate, so if that's the case add $75 to the above.

I have a Weltklang serial # list in PDF form so if you wanna let us know serial number (just 'x' out the last two digits if privacy is a concern - i.e. "12,3XX") we can perhaps get it down within a few years of actual manufacture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.