Sax on the Web Forum banner

My Legere Experiece

22K views 171 replies 58 participants last post by  saxsearay 
#1 ·
I just played my first solo gig on the Legere Signature 2.5 reed and I have some thoughts. First, I have only tried one other brand of synthetic reed in modern times and that was the Hartmann Fiberreed Carbon. In fairness to Hartmann, I don't think that I ever found the right strength but the ones that I have are too soft or too hard and difficult for me to control, especially in the upper register and when subtoning.

I got the Legere about a week or so ago and I've been playing it on my Black Widow 8 and I can't really point out any difficulties in response or intonation. I really didn't expect the reed to play as comfortably as it does, so that was a pleasant surprise. The first practice session with it left me all smiles. There's no warm up time for the reed so it plays great as soon as I put on the mouthpiece. I have a "wooden reed" mentality so I was a little bit skeptical about its ability to perform well consistently. Thankfully, I was wrong. Second session, still great.

I normally play Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong on the BW and I like them a lot, but, as reeds go they're subject to not respond well when the weather/humidity changes. Here in California the dry air wreaks havoc with my reeds at the worst times. Those days are over. No squeaks, chirps or dead sounds any more.

The BW mouthpiece responds great, anyway so I'm ahead of the mouthpiece battle and that part is out of the equation. The sound is more similar to good cane than I've ever experienced with a synthetic. I tried Bari reeds a hundred or so years ago and they were very bright. The Hartmanns, while not bad sounding, are brighter than the Legere.

Maybe this will help someone in their decision to try the Legere. They are expensive at $30 a pop but I've heard that they last a long time. I can just about say with certainty that I'm done with cane.

Edited to add: my little 5-song mini concert went fabulously.

See less See more
#5 ·
I liked to play Legere Signatures but they were hard on my bottom lip. Sometimes I'd end up with a bleeding bottom lip (happened several times with the Legere) but never had this issue with regular wood. My lips are little thinner than normal as I found out in high school playing brass instruments that my lips burst easier than most folks. They played and sounded great.

#7 ·
Sacramento here. TERRIBLE reed issues. I'm from a humid climate so this lack of humidity drives me nuts where reeds are concerned. The Legere has taken the reed out of the equation totally for me.

Alphaman, I have thin lips, too but cane reeds seem to be worse for me for some reason...especially on soprano. I haven't tried Legeres on soprano, yet but I'm gonna.

#12 ·
I covered this more extensively in another thread (in the ligs section), but I just received a Legere Signature reed yesterday and so far my experience is exactly as Greg wrote in his OP here. It far exceeded my expectations in that right from the start it was as good as the best of my Rigotti Golds. I won't say it was better or even noticeably different tone wise than the Rigottis, but it was just as good as the best ones. Which is saying a lot because the convenience and long-lasting quality (still to be proven, but I'm taking Mark and other's word for that right now) of the Legere will be a huge bonus. I wasn't looking for a better tone quality with the Legere, just something close to cane and I'm quite certain no one would hear any difference, which is what I was hoping for. And yeah, I play a lot of outdoor gigs and have noticed how in some cases that can have a bad effect on the cane reeds, so that would be yet another bonus.

I went with a #2 Legere (on my Black Widow 9) due to the open tip mpcs I play, but I was using Rigotti 3 light and 2.5 strong, so I'm wondering if maybe I should try a 2.25 or 2.5 in the Legeres. The 2 plays great and doesn't seem too soft, though. Any thoughts on that? Probably only one way to find out...

p.s. How long does a Legere reed last for you Mark?

#16 ·
I went with a #2 Legere (on my Black Widow 9) due to the open tip mpcs I play, but I was using Rigotti 3 light and 2.5 strong, so I'm wondering if maybe I should try a 2.25 or 2.5 in the Legeres. The 2 plays great and doesn't seem too soft, though. Any thoughts on that? Probably only one way to find out...
i've also been using legere signatures with a black widow 9. i have a 2 and a 2.5 (both from before i got the widow). the 2 feels a bit weak up high for me, so i've been using the 2.5, but i'm definitely working harder than i want to with it, so i'm definitely planning to pick up a 2.25 soon.

#15 ·
I've been using Legere Sigs 2.25 for a few years now and love them. I just got a Black Widow 7* and they are a perfect match. I tried a few cane reeds on it, but keep coming back to the Sigs. In the past I tried fibracell (too stiff and muted for me), and pretty much all the various Hartmann reeds (way too shrill for my tastes) and the Legere sigs are the most natural sounding to me. Here are some recent sound clips from a jam band I play in. This was my first gig using the BW, and I can't say it sounds as good as Greg, but it's another data point for you regarding the sigs. I also use the BW/sigs in a couple of jazz bands but haven't gotten a good recording yet.

#17 ·
SAXONABIKE: The 2.25 sounds like it will be a dream fit for you. Fuller sound, and even better altisimo. I look forward to hearing about that after you get a couple.
I really appreciate all of the kind words you all have to say about my mouthpieces. I’m so happy you are enjoying your Black Widow mpcs. This type of stuff is the most meaningful to me.

Greg, I really look forward to hearing new audios with the Legere.

#20 ·
I find using a #2 Sig on my Black Widow 8* tenor mpc works real good for me. Very easy blowing, great for a restaurant, lounge or softer type job.. I found the 2.5 a tad stiff, I'll be adding a 2.25 to my collection for the harder blowing gigs..:mrgreen: I have tried my Legere Sig 2.0 briefly on my other Tenor mpcs as well, my metal Boss 9, my DG super king and a couple Lakeys, same result..very nice..!!

#21 ·
Can't find a 2.25 for sale anywhere. I guess they are out of stock or they quit making them? Anyway, the #2 seems fine; no issues getting altissimo notes, and it plays strong from bottom to top of the horn. But i'd still like to try the 2.25 so if anyone knows where I can get one, let me know. Thanks.

#32 ·
I used legere 10 plus years back, meh... Pretty good.
The Hahn was the best for me.
Any of you have comparison commentary on legere sig to the original legere and to Hahn?
Lastly, I use rigotti gold 3.5 medium, I suspect the hardness of the Legere sig might not be equivalent at that strength.... I'm thinking a 3 might be the best for me. It seems that the hardness curve isn't a straight line.... Any comments before I try one would be appreciated.

#33 ·
I used legere 10 plus years back, meh... Pretty good.
The Hahn was the best for me.
Any of you have comparison commentary on legere sig to the original legere and to Hahn?
The Legere Signature came out more recently than 10 years ago and everything I've heard indicates it is superior to the earlier Legere. In any case, the Signature is the first and only synthetic reed I like. I've tried a few in the past--plastic coat, Fibracell, Bari, and didn't like any of them as much as cane, but I haven't tried the Hahn.

#35 ·
received my legere signature reed today spent about an hour and a half in the practice room this morning and all I can say is wow this reed is great unlike cane reeds where after playing for an hour or more my cane reed seemed to lose a little consistency, this legere reed just seems to hold right through low Bb to high F# just pops right out, with cane reeds I would have to pay attention if I were playing for a while and had to drop down low or go up high I had thought that the reed was to saturated or my inexperience, tired etc. but after an hour and half with this sig. it is a breeze to hit those notes I guess I will play this for a while but if this is any indication of how this reed performs I guess I Will be another convert,

#36 ·
Recently I had ordered a Studio Cut just for kicks and the more I play it on my Black Widow the more I dig it. Edgier and a bit brighter than the Sig I think. I got a 1.5 and on an 8* BW it's simply a beautiful set-up, I can simply breathe a subtone like crazy and take it to a full sound nicely. Very expressive sound and vibrato..

No it does not blast the extreme Alt range as a stiffer reed would, but on some of my gigs I need the the softer edge.

This might be the mellow Lounge set-up I been looking for since I went through my Link trial phase about 6 months back..These Legere's are interesting to say the least. I have a Classic 1.75 as well. It feels stiffer than the #2 Signature I have. Go figure..

I'll try the set-up on my Jazz brunch tomorrow, if the 1.5 Studio Cut proves a bit too soft I'll send it back to Canada and exchange for a 1.75

#37 ·
Addict,

I use the 3.0 Rigottis when i play cane. And 2.5 Legere is about equivalent.

The Studiosnare way morentasty than the Sigs. When i am playing like wallpaper or in a section he sigs are better. But the studio is much better for solo work.

A lot of folks seem to just repeat sigsigsig. I wonder if they have tried both?

Datsaxman

#38 ·
My Legere experience is Limited, I have just really got serious with them lately. I tried a couple yrs ago but for whatever reason didn't fall in love. The Sig on my Widow and Boss has opened my eyes (ears) and I'm very glad I got the Studio to try as well. Btw, Interesting comments DSM..!!

The .175 "Classic" that I got I can't exchange, so being a bit stiff for my other more open tip tenor mpcs I'll throw it on my trusty old .105 M7.. should be a good match when the Zombies attack.

#39 ·
Just got the 2.25 Signature reed. First impressions: Another great reed, plays perfectly, right off, up and down the horn. After a quick comparison, I can't tell much difference from the #2 reed. Both play great. Maybe the 2.25 will prove to play 'stronger' on a gig, or maybe not. I can use them both for sure. Maybe I'll use the 2 for daily practice and the 2.25 on gigs. In any case, both are great. After a couple more gigs I'll know for certain, but both sizes seem fine.

No, I haven't tried the Studio. I might give it a go at some point, but the sigs really play well and I can get just as much edge and brightness out of them as I get with the Rigottis, so I don't see quite what DSM means regarding soloing. Then again, everyone is different, and of course the mpc is part of the set up. The signatures seem to work great, with plenty of edge and punch, on my med & high baffle large tip mpcs. Really great on the Black Widow 9. So I'm not inclined to go searching around for something else at this point.

#40 ·
I made a quick recording of Mercy, Mercy, Mercy with the Black Widow 8 and Legere Signature. I used an SM57 and some reverb was added. No eq.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.