Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My Legere Experiece

Can't find a 2.25 for sale anywhere. I guess they are out of stock or they quit making them? Anyway, the #2 seems fine; no issues getting altissimo notes, and it plays strong from bottom to top of the horn. But i'd still like to try the 2.25 so if anyone knows where I can get one, let me know. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The official Legere website lists the 2.25 Signature as available but DAMN they want $39.95

they'd sell a lot more if the price was better.

Cash's vintage Demo Recordings circa '99-'03 SF Bay Area www.box.net/cashsax

Distinguished SOTW Member buddy lee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CashSax View Post
    I clicked on the AD box top of page..The official Legere website lists the 2.25 Signature as available but DAMN $39.95..that's more than a good Metalite !!

The price of the thing is slightly ridiculous to me..

good reed but.................
    I bought mine from Amazon for $28 or so I think. Still not cheap, but better than $40
    "Can't never could."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The retailers don't seem to have the 2.25's

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The official Legere website lists the 2.25 Signature as available but DAMN they want $39.95

they'd sell a lot more if the price was better.
    They seem to be selling out of them anyways!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazon has good prices but no 2.25's....Merlin you got juice, maybe tell 'em to produce a few more 2.25's That must be a popular strength

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I found some 2.25 Legere Signature tenor reeds here and the price isn't bad (be sure to click on 'free shipping'):

http://dtwoodwinds.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to be available at weinermusic.com as well

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Amazon has good prices but no 2.25's....Merlin you got juice, maybe tell 'em to produce a few more 2.25's That must be a popular strength
    I'm sure they're aware. I do know they tend to do runs of particular reed types - I'm waiting on some #3 baritone sax Signature reeds right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    Hey, I found some 2.25 Legere Signature tenor reeds here and the price isn't bad (be sure to click on 'free shipping'):

http://dtwoodwinds.com/
    This looks good John I haven't ordered yet, I went as far as checkout but I didn't see free shipping?

Merlin thanks for the inside scoop..btw apparently weinermusic.com has #3 Bari's

Guto thanks too.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This looks good John I haven't ordered yet, I went as far as checkout but I didn't see free shipping?
    Maybe you didn't go quite far enough. At some point, right near the end of the process, there's a list of shipping options, starting with free shipping. The most expensive option will already be checked (of course), so you have to check the little bubble next to 'free shipping.' Somewhere they state 'free shipping for orders over $25' and they are selling the reeds for $27.99 so the free shipping applies. But you do have to check that box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used legere 10 plus years back, meh... Pretty good.
    The Hahn was the best for me.
    Any of you have comparison commentary on legere sig to the original legere and to Hahn?
    Lastly, I use rigotti gold 3.5 medium, I suspect the hardness of the Legere sig might not be equivalent at that strength.... I'm thinking a 3 might be the best for me. It seems that the hardness curve isn't a straight line.... Any comments before I try one would be appreciated.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazaddict View Post
    I used legere 10 plus years back, meh... Pretty good.
    The Hahn was the best for me.
    Any of you have comparison commentary on legere sig to the original legere and to Hahn?
    The Legere Signature came out more recently than 10 years ago and everything I've heard indicates it is superior to the earlier Legere. In any case, the Signature is the first and only synthetic reed I like. I've tried a few in the past--plastic coat, Fibracell, Bari, and didn't like any of them as much as cane, but I haven't tried the Hahn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    The Legere Signature came out more recently than 10 years ago and everything I've heard indicates it is superior to the earlier Legere. In any case, the Signature is the first and only synthetic reed I like. I've tried a few in the past--plastic coat, Fibracell, Bari, and didn't like any of them as much as cane, but I haven't tried the Hahn.
    Thx, seems the "sig" is a step up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

received my legere signature reed today spent about an hour and a half in the practice room this morning and all I can say is wow this reed is great unlike cane reeds where after playing for an hour or more my cane reed seemed to lose a little consistency, this legere reed just seems to hold right through low Bb to high F# just pops right out, with cane reeds I would have to pay attention if I were playing for a while and had to drop down low or go up high I had thought that the reed was to saturated or my inexperience, tired etc. but after an hour and half with this sig. it is a breeze to hit those notes I guess I will play this for a while but if this is any indication of how this reed performs I guess I Will be another convert,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently I had ordered a Studio Cut just for kicks and the more I play it on my Black Widow the more I dig it. Edgier and a bit brighter than the Sig I think. I got a 1.5 and on an 8* BW it's simply a beautiful set-up, I can simply breathe a subtone like crazy and take it to a full sound nicely. Very expressive sound and vibrato..

No it does not blast the extreme Alt range as a stiffer reed would, but on some of my gigs I need the the softer edge.

This might be the mellow Lounge set-up I been looking for since I went through my Link trial phase about 6 months back..These Legere's are interesting to say the least. I have a Classic 1.75 as well. It feels stiffer than the #2 Signature I have. Go figure..

I'll try the set-up on my Jazz brunch tomorrow, if the 1.5 Studio Cut proves a bit too soft I'll send it back to Canada and exchange for a 1.75

Forum Contributor 2015-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Addict,

I use the 3.0 Rigottis when i play cane. And 2.5 Legere is about equivalent.

The Studiosnare way morentasty than the Sigs. When i am playing like wallpaper or in a section he sigs are better. But the studio is much better for solo work.

A lot of folks seem to just repeat sigsigsig. I wonder if they have tried both?

Datsaxman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Legere experience is Limited, I have just really got serious with them lately. I tried a couple yrs ago but for whatever reason didn't fall in love. The Sig on my Widow and Boss has opened my eyes (ears) and I'm very glad I got the Studio to try as well. Btw, Interesting comments DSM..!!

The .175 "Classic" that I got I can't exchange, so being a bit stiff for my other more open tip tenor mpcs I'll throw it on my trusty old .105 M7.. should be a good match when the Zombies attack.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got the 2.25 Signature reed. First impressions: Another great reed, plays perfectly, right off, up and down the horn. After a quick comparison, I can't tell much difference from the #2 reed. Both play great. Maybe the 2.25 will prove to play 'stronger' on a gig, or maybe not. I can use them both for sure. Maybe I'll use the 2 for daily practice and the 2.25 on gigs. In any case, both are great. After a couple more gigs I'll know for certain, but both sizes seem fine.

No, I haven't tried the Studio. I might give it a go at some point, but the sigs really play well and I can get just as much edge and brightness out of them as I get with the Rigottis, so I don't see quite what DSM means regarding soloing. Then again, everyone is different, and of course the mpc is part of the set up. The signatures seem to work great, with plenty of edge and punch, on my med & high baffle large tip mpcs. Really great on the Black Widow 9. So I'm not inclined to go searching around for something else at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made a quick recording of Mercy, Mercy, Mercy with the Black Widow 8 and Legere Signature. I used an SM57 and some reverb was added. No eq.

https://youtu.be/TJZ-LQULOLc
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Black Widow 8/Legere Signature:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast