Sax on the Web Forum banner

BetterSax or McGiillmUsic Sax School

8K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  jxw1401 
#1 ·
BetterSax or McGiill Music Sax School or ....

Hello,

I am a novice and getting confused by the wealth of info out there on scales, etc. I need more structure and there are no local teachers here (I have checked).

Has anyone tried these online resources such as Bettersax.com or McGillmusic.com. I'm wondering if these online courses will give me both the structure and the desire to progress. Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
George

#7 ·
There is nothing like a real teacher. Difficult in these times I know, but there it is.

I can do consultancy (that's what I call it because it is a lot more than just saxophone lessons) and can be online but I don't recommend it to be honest.
Probably people think I charge way too much anyway.

#8 ·
One element to consider (for future readers), who's sound, attitude, style etc do you like or identify with?
They've all got samples and YouTube material available. If you want to sound like that it's a good start.
My first bought course was Rand Hunter beginning sax; mostly because I liked his sound - and identified with his scruffyness!

#11 ·
it really does depend on what you are after. I went with a few bettersax courses and absolutely love it. Now, being a guitar player, my goal was centered around playing by ear, pentatonic scales and the blues so it was a better fit for me.

I also just got the following book on recommendation and think that it is fantastic
Learn to Play Sax - Ollie Weston

where I am coming from - 46 just getting back into playing after a whole lotta years

#12 ·
it really does depend on what you are after. I went with a few bettersax courses and absolutely love it. Now, being a guitar player, my goal was centered around playing by ear, pentatonic scales and the blues so it was a better fit for me.

I also just got the following book on recommendation and think that it is fantastic
Learn to Play Sax - Ollie Weston

where I am coming from - 46 just getting back into playing after a whole lotta years
Thanks Barteringlines!

#17 ·
It is an old question from 2017, but in case someone is still looking for an answer to the similar question, I'd share my experiences.

I took both recorded online courses and online courses with a teacher via Zooms. To be honest, I would not recommend anyone to take an online course for many reasons.

A few examples of online course disadvantages:
  • The teacher won't be able to see the details of your embouchure and correct issues you might have.
  • The teacher won't be able to observe your fingering thus won't be able to correct subtle issues.
  • It's not easy for the teacher and you to go through details on a music sheet.
  • Due to the limitations how a computer processes and transmit sound (even with a good microphone), it is hard to get all the details when you play or when the teacher tries to demonstrate something.
  • From time to time we need teacher's help on our postures when holding and playing a sax. When online, it is impossible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.