Advice on a Craigslist horn?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While browsing Craigslist the other day, I found a King sax. From the pics posted I can't tell whether it's a tenor or a c-mel. It looks to have original pads and maybe one of the bell pads are missing. It also has a five digit serial, which according to the charts I've seen puts it between 1915 and 1925. I think it's closer to 1915.
    I emailed the seller about a price, and he said to make an offer. I told him I'd have to see it in person first. The last vintage saxophone I bought and had cleaned and repadded cost $650.
    So now I come to you, H.N. White experts, can you tell whether this is a tenor or c-melody, and would it be worth the money to restore it to playing condition?

https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/atq/6331010615.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumps
    Once you get an itch for a horn, you're never going to stop scratching until you get it. In this regard, this forum is like one big patch of poison ivy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Advice on a Craigslist horn?

unfortunately your link shows nothing other than this text

There is nothing here

No web page for this address

404 Error

Early King horns, C melody or otherwise, are worth very little (right or wrong) and generally not even worth the cost of an overhaul.

If you love them , that might be different for you, but from a purely economic point of view, buying them (unless playing perfectly and paying no more than $200 in that state) makes no sense whatsoever.

Again this is not based on anything else than the way the market perceives early Kings, your appreciation might differ.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link fixed.

I take it it's one of those "Buy it to play, not to sell" deals? Without considering the money, is it a horn that is worth having and playing? Just curious, I don't think I'll buy this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumps
    Once you get an itch for a horn, you're never going to stop scratching until you get it. In this regard, this forum is like one big patch of poison ivy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is like a lot of the Chinese second hand ads I see - more pictures of the luggage than the instrument ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if you are buying to play , there are better ways to invest your money than buying an early King.

It looks like a Bb tenor rather than being a C melody ( which is also a tenor) and I can’t see the price in the ad, but whatever this horn costs you will end up spending, not only more than it is worth or will ever be worth to get it to play, but if you were to invest the same amount into another horn you will get a better player.

So, unless you are determined to buy it because you are in love with it (and love is blind and perhaps also deaf) consider investing your money in a later horn.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a C Melody to me. Notice that the high F tone hole is right up to the neck receiver. Tenors have a bit more of a space up there. Like any Craig's List horn, if it's still there after a day, it's not likely a bargain.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2007-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t buy it!
    Life is too short for long tones

Forum Contributor 2008-2017 Sidepipes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    Looks like a C Melody to me. Notice that the high F tone hole is right up to the neck receiver. Tenors have a bit more of a space up there. Like any Craig's List horn, if it's still there after a day, it's not likely a bargain.
    I have to agree with Grumps. My tenors have the additional space from the high F tone hole to the receiver, and looking at several pictures of C Mels on eBay, (Buescher, Conn) their high F tone holes are right up there.
    "Lets Play!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I now agree it is a C melody, but still not worth the overhaul money on account of being an early King.