Sax on the Web Forum banner

Ted Klum Acoustimer II - Issues with loudness, expression

5K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Tzadik 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I bought this mouthpiece a year or so ago to have something more focussed compared to my Drake Son of Slant. I think it's an excellent piece.

I really liked the focus for a time but then realised that the piece definitely lacked punch/loudness and projection to the player. It's really strange, I reel that I give a lot into the piece and not much comes out. I later got Aaron Drakes Reso (a reso chamber copy) which is a great piece and basically fulfils als my wished.

Still, I want to like the TK piece as a second piece ... but I cant if it has these issues. Are these known issues or is something wrong with the piece? Tip opening is 7* and I bought it almost new. Intonation is perfect, that's actually what I like with it. But I feel narrowed and silenced with it. What could a refacer do to change that? Or do I need to spend more time with it? I actually played it almost a year before realising that it hinders my expression. I'm playing for 20 years and worked a lot on airstream focus etc., daily long tones ... so I think it's not only the player here. Or is it horn/mpc-combination? I play a The Martin Tenor. Or reeds? I've played RJS 3 Medium and Rigotti Gold 3 Hard with it.

Best
Hannes

See less See more
#6 ·
I've played that same mouthpiece on several horns, and would suggest that it is as you ponder, a mismatch of player/horn/mouthpiece. Don't fight it if it doesn't work for you - this happens more often than you might guess. Some horns are more sensitive to mouthpiece selection than others. That is also to say that some horns make the differences between mouthpieces more apparent.

If you like the Reso style, but want something a lil' different than the Drake, check out the Phil-Tone "Intrepid". I've been playing one on my Borgani Jubilee, and it works very well on that horn.

https://phil-tone.com/tenor/intrepid

I bought this mouthpiece a year or so ago to have something more focussed compared to my Drake Son of Slant. I think it's an excellent piece.

I really liked the focus for a time but then realised that the piece definitely lacked punch/loudness and projection to the player. It's really strange, I reel that I give a lot into the piece and not much comes out. I later got Aaron Drakes Reso (a reso chamber copy) which is a great piece and basically fulfils als my wished.

Still, I want to like the TK piece as a second piece ... but I cant if it has these issues. Are these known issues or is something wrong with the piece? Tip opening is 7* and I bought it almost new. Intonation is perfect, that's actually what I like with it. But I feel narrowed and silenced with it. What could a refacer do to change that? Or do I need to spend more time with it? I actually played it almost a year before realising that it hinders my expression. I'm playing for 20 years and worked a lot on airstream focus etc., daily long tones ... so I think it's not only the player here. Or is it horn/mpc-combination? I play a The Martin Tenor. Or reeds? I've played RJS 3 Medium and Rigotti Gold 3 Hard with it.

Best
Hannes

#7 ·
This is something a refacing may or may not be able to deal with. It could be the facing not fitting you, it could be acoustic. There probably isn't any more to gain by trying to make it work, you've had it long enough. If the intonation is great, then it's not a horn-mouthpiece mismatch. If you were here and I could play the piece I could tell you for sure, but my gut feeling is that the piece just isn't you, trade it for something that is.

#8 ·
If the intonation is great, then it's not a horn-mouthpiece mismatch.
I have had many mouthpieces that had good intonation on a horn, but just didn't "pop", didn't hit that sweet spot of resonance, projection, and desired timbre. Match/mismatch, to me, is much more than just good intonation. That type of deficiency becomes more apparent when you find a mouthpiece that really does complement the horn.

...the piece just isn't you, trade it for something that is.
That's the bottom line.

#9 ·
Hey,

just a final word on this - cause my problems are solved and I'm so happy that I need to share this. I was searching for a more focussed, more projecting, brighter sound playing a The Martin Tenor. I spend many days in shops, trying Selmer Saxes (several Mark VIs, SBA, BA) and Conns. I always went out knowing that my Martin is actually a great sax but just spread and very dark.

I knew the TK Acoustimer was good for my overall goal to focus my tone and project. But as I said, I didn't feel comfortable with it. I played Rico Jazz select and Rigotti Gold on it. Always too dark and not expresive enough.

Now I went for Java Red 3,5 and I'M IN LOVE! The sound is HUGE, Projects, it is LOUD (louder than my loud Drake Pieces) and just amazing ... so it was a player-reed-mpc issue as you said.

Let's see how long my love lasts ... ;))

#13 ·
Different facings react in a different ways with reeds.
From 3M filed to 4S filed... you skipped 3 or 4 strenght degrees.

Drakes work great with Rico/D'Addario Jazz Select and LaVoz reeds.
For what I remember, TK facings work better (in general) with Rigotti (and "made by" Rigotti( reeds but on the harder side.

I tried few Java Red Cut reed and I wouldn't say they are brighter than a Jazz Select filed.
But it's nothing strange...
The mouthpiece facing does't read the brand or the type of the reed. :)
You just feel better because the mouthpiece needed a reed which was "stiffer" and/or "softer" in certain point of the vamp: this is why every manufacturer made reed with different cuts. :)

I would check the D'Addarios unfiled and possibly the 3 Hard size.
Rigotti has different reed strenghts (#2,5, #3 and #3,5) and three different tip thickness (Soft, Medium and Strong)... so it can be confusing to surf around their products, if you are not able to buy single reeds (instead of full boxes) to try out.

#14 ·
I have the same issue with a Morgan MP I've been using on alto. I love all the colors I get, but in terms of expression it feels limited. I've tried five or six different reeds.

#20 ·
@tzadik: interesting, never thought of this reed-facing match, actually!
I always start testing mouthpiece remembering:
1) I know my limits as saxophone player
2) the saxophone is a "reed instrument" (and not a "mouthpiece instrument")
3) there's a huge of variety of facings... every manufacturer has his own signature facing: you like some facings (from certain manufacturers) and you may "hate" other kind facing. Despite you may like or not, a kind of facing (for length, profile... tip opening on that mouthpiece) there's always a kind (and/or strength) of reed that makes the mouthpiece to work at its best, when you are playing it.

By testing many mouthpieces and reeds (=gaining experience with the equipment) you learn by yourself to find the perfect combination for your own style of playing.

In your case... it may happen that the Java Red #3,5 makes the mouthpiece to sing, but (maybe) the same reed on a different mouthpiece (... the Drake for instance) definitely sucks.
It's not because the reed itself or the mouthpiece itself... it's just you that you are more comfortable with a specific mouthpiece/reed combination.
You change the mouthpiece... you may need a different reed on the new mouthpiece: totally normal and legit. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.