Music China 2017 Trade Show - anyone coming?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Music China 2017 Trade Show - anyone coming?

Just wondering if anyone is planning on coming to the Music China trade show here in Shanghai next month (October 11-14).

If anyone is, love to meet up. If you aren't coming, but have anything you would like me to check up on for you, let me know. Here's a link to the exhibitors list: http://www.music-china.hk.messefrank...itor-list.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Music China 2017 Trade Show - anyone coming?

OK, the show's been on for two days. It took me that long to navigate the woodwind hall. This show is HUGE!

Here's a few interesting discoveries:

Kenny G's newest line is being manufactured by Tenon at their Chateau Taiwan plant. Cool looking horns and not bad players.

Liu Shizhao has some new mouthpieces out, including a hard rubber version of his Pilgrimage tenor piece. Really interesting, it's a marbled brown with a brass shank; it's also light as a feather. He also has a new HR alto piece that is absolutely killer.

Mercury is making their hammered finish horns in both brass and silver finish in soprano, alto & tenor. If you want a unique look for not a lot of change, check them out.

Had a nice chat with Taishan - definitely learned no eBay sellers are affiliated with the factory.

One factory in Shandong is making a C Melody. It comes with two necks, one alto shaped, the other curvey like a tenor, both with underslung octave keys. It takes a standard alto mouthpiece. The same factory has some other interesting pieces, including a tenor with a high G key. Quality is pretty good, I bought a curvey soprano off the floor - solid keywork and spot on in tune.

Forestone has a new White Bamboo reed, geared to the classical player. I tried an alto on a Selmer Soloist and soprano on a Selmer Super Session. The alto didn't work for me, but I kept the soprano. I haven't played it in a setting I can really hear myself, but the response is good.

The only bass sax I saw was at Longkou Jinyin. No one was showing a sopranino. From talking to the vendors, there's one small factory in mainland China that builds them and they aren't exhibiting. I did find a Taiwanese factory that will make one up for a very reasonable price.

TK Melody has got a big discount on during the show. They are selling off all the floor demos, but are also discounting any orders placed during the show. They have a couple of new model horns & a new metal mouthpiece. Kind of Beechlerish, plays pretty well and they are selling like hotcakes at the show.

Kanee has a new metal mouthpiece for alto & tenor - very Guardala-ish. They've also updated their "New York" (Meyer style) alto piece. It plays a bit freer now.

I saw lots of "big" flutes - bass, & contra-bass. Unfortunately most of the flutes I looked at were of very poor quality.

Two more days to go. From tomorrow the show is open to the general public, so it'll be a zoo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the factory in Shandong making the C melody saxes under any particular brand name? I would have some interest in picking up a low priced C melody so that I can easily play along with my son who is learning piano and then I would not need to transpose. Are the C melody horns decent and are they sold in the US?

Does the statement from Taishan regarding that no ebay sellers are affiliated with them mean that the various sellers on ebay are not selling actual Taishan products but illegal knock offs or just that Taishan does not sell over ebay directly and they let retailers in China handle online sales for them?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jswers View Post
    Is the factory in Shandong making the C melody saxes under any particular brand name? I would have some interest in picking up a low priced C melody so that I can easily play along with my son who is learning piano and then I would not need to transpose. Are the C melody horns decent and are they sold in the US?
    They are all over Ebay. Unbranded, made in China. Search for professional C melody saxophone. They come with 2 necks as described here. If there is really only one factory making them in China... bingo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you try Ochres Music Saxophones there?
    845-361-9353

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Maraday View Post
    Did you try Ochres Music Saxophones there?
    I didn't see them there. They're not on the exhibitor list unless the main company name is different.

Do you know their booth number if they are showing? Tomorrow is the last day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guto View Post
    They are all over Ebay. Unbranded, made in China. Search for professional C melody saxophone. They come with 2 necks as described here. If there is really only one factory making them in China... bingo!
    It's a Shandong factory, all OEM work. There's a patent mark on the C Melody horn and the factory manager said they are the only ones making them.
    The quality is pretty good. I bought one of their curvy sopranos. The C Melodies run @ $450 US.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Does the statement from Taishan regarding that no ebay sellers are affiliated with them mean that the various sellers on ebay are not selling actual Taishan products but illegal knock offs or just that Taishan does not sell over ebay directly and they let retailers in China handle online sales for them?
    This is probably a question for Taishan, I'm not sure anyone ever can answer on their behalf. I could speculate and say it wouldn't surprise me if any saxophone yo buy off eBay that purports to be a Taishan, is a counterfeit.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: get a great sound without the boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The C Melody horns are OEM. You can buy them "raw" with no logo. They are decent horns. Cost is 3000 Chinese Yuan - @ 455 USD. This factory doesn't have a US distributor, but if you want one I can help you get one.
    Here's a pic, side by side with an alto:
    20171012_154148.jpg20171012_154201.jpg

As far as Taishan - they do not sell on eBay. They only sell direct under their own brand name in China. The Taishan brand is fairly popular here and has a decent reputation - so much that they recently raised their prices because the market could bear it. There are fake Taishan instruments floating around over here. I really can't say what is getting sold on eBay, but from what I have seen they are probably real. The big Taishan eBay sellers also sell products from other factories and are not always clear what you are getting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    This is probably a question for Taishan, I'm not sure anyone ever can answer on their behalf. I could speculate and say it wouldn't surprise me if any saxophone yo buy off eBay that purports to be a Taishan, is a counterfeit.
    I've had several interesting talks with Taishan over the last few days and will meet them again tomorrow. They were not aware of the level of brand awareness that had developed outside China. There may be some interesting things coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional....c100005.m1851

This looks like the 2 neck C melody on ebay that you are talking about.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dlrsax View Post
    I've had several interesting talks with Taishan over the last few days and will meet them again tomorrow. They were not aware of the level of brand awareness that had developed outside China. There may be some interesting things coming.
    I don't think there is a lot of brand awareness of Chinese manufacturers.
    Tone Without Tears: get a great sound without the boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have only ever seen a Taishan horn once, a baritone that someone bought over ebay. It felt fine under the fingers and played fine. I have no idea if it was an original Taishan or a knock off given that it was purchased over ebay. I know to be on the look out for Chinese knock offs of major brands like Selmer but I had not thought that there may be Chinese knock offs of Chinese brands, but why not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the hammered finish Mercury horns:
    20171011_164632.jpg20171012_160718.jpg

And now Antigua is getting in on the act:
    20171011_121932.jpg20171011_122042.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had not thought that there may be Chinese knock offs of Chinese brands, but why not?
    It's probably a lot easier to get away with. But much lower returns as the cost of a Selmer is way higher than your average Chinese instrument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Kenny G horns, made by Chateau:
    20171011_124408.jpg20171011_124448.jpg

I thought the oversized F# keys looked pretty weird, but they feel OK under my fingers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional....c100005.m1851

This looks like the 2 neck C melody on ebay that you are talking about.
    Yep, same horn.
    They come in lots of different finishes.

EDIT: I just looked through the other eBay listings. These are all the same horn. The different finishes are the standard ones from this factory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dlrsax, you have been a really valuable resource regarding the sax scene in China. I appreciate your keeping SOTW informed on what is going on there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show' s over. I love the last day when the exhibitors start blowing out the display models. I couldn't resist this one:

20171014_201031.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dlrsax, you have been a really valuable resource regarding the sax scene in China. I appreciate your keeping SOTW informed on what is going on there.
    +1 Yes, very interesting things you mentioned. Thank you!

I have been to the trade fare in Frankfurt for some times, but it's not really worth the trip anymore. I liked the mercury horns you mentioned a lot. The hand hammered saxes look a bit cheaper on the photos than in reality and play great.
    saxes: sop:Yanagisawa S-800/ S-80 F alto:Bauhaus Walstein M2/ B&S metal tenor:Bauhaus Walstein M2/ B&S metal flutes: picc: YPC 62 fl:Forest/Brannen afl: Altus bfl: W.Wetzel/Cooper clarinets: ebcl: Amati/Riffault cl:Noblet artist/Vandoren B45 bcl: Forest/ Clarc Forbes Debut taragot: Timisua/Zinner bassoon: Selmer Signet/Legère

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast