VII Altos headed for the stratosphere..?

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default VII Altos headed for the stratosphere..?

I watch the vintage Selmer market for fun and knowledge..I just saw a few VII Altos on EBay, prices are going UP..

holy cow..a gorgeous Silver-plate is asking $4200, damn 4 yrs ago I sold my French engraved beater Hi-Ho silverplate for less than $2500. Even the lowly Lacquer jobs are creeping over 3K.

My current Lacq'd and American engraved VII Alto I swiped 3 yrs back for a measly $1800.

I see Quinn has a couple of VII's under 3K but they probably won't last long.

Cash's vintage Demo Recordings circa '99-'03 SF Bay Area www.box.net/cashsax

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: VII Altos headed for the stratosphere..?

Hmm. At that rate i might sell mine. Owned since '76.
    Of course one could wait 20 years till the SBAs and 6s are all shot, and really clean up!
    My tech had a mint alto a few years ago, lierally unplayed. Hoped to get 1,500 euros in the down market. Pitiful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't look at asking prices on eBay. You have to look at the prices actually fetched by the horns. Here are a few Mark VII alto completed sales:

Aug. 5: $2,199.99
    Aug. 24: $2,495
    Aug. 31: $2,500

These sale prices are really no different than for pre-Jubilee Series II altos in average condition.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LC I agree the sold prices are the true indicator, but the asking prices are certainly heading upward. Of course the VI altos are insane prices these days, if I were rich I would grab a couple VII's for spec sale in a year or 2. Cats that play the VII's seem to agree on the great sound of the VII alto. The ergos are the knock, but I never noticed any serious downside compared any other alto's I've played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a silver alto over here that's been on offer for a long time at @ $4400 US. I doubt they'll ever sell it.
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...id=44963270202

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, people take Bundy II's and try to sell them as Selmer at Selmer prices because the words "by Selmer" appear.

The Mark 7 is kind of the Edsel of saxophones - a big mistake.

I have known players who really liked them, but most don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MkVIi alto felt much better to me than the tenor where the ergonomic "improvements" felt more exaggerated. I liked my alto, I sold it because I was only playing tenor. I payed $750.00 too for it in a traypack case in 1978.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have often wondered why the horn was so universally hated. Well I know now after 15 yrs on the forum..actually I think a lot of folks put them down without really ever having spent time with one..sort of like all silver VI tenors are stuffy..(I have one of those crappy horns myself)..I got my first VII alto yrs ago for $800. It was a used college horn, a silverplate with the French engraving. No one at that time (pre-SOTW) including other players or repair guys ever dissed the horn. I got on with it for many years and only sold it because of financial issues. I replaced it at soon as possible with the Lacquered model I have now. I guess maybe the greatest thing is players can still steal a great horn for low bucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LostConn View Post
    You can't look at asking prices on eBay. You have to look at the prices actually fetched by the horns. Here are a few Mark VII alto completed sales:

Aug. 24: $2,495
    Aug. 31: $2,500

These sale prices are really no different than for pre-Jubilee Series II altos in average condition.
    Not that I consider my horn an investment, but, adjusted for inflation, this is the exact price I paid used for mine in '78.
    In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CashSax View Post
    I have often wondered why the horn was so universally hated.
    The altos were victims of the true hate for the tenors. And yeah, I had a Mark VII tenor since high school. It was my first brand new horn and it served me very, very well for many years. Then I came here and tried everything else out there... most of which put my VII to shame. It's since been sold, as I didn't even want it for a backup. But the altos always had a good reputation.

Curious Cash... can you look down inside the bell of your VII alto and see if there's a space between the bell/bow brace? Like they're not completely joined. My tenor had that flaw and I was wondering if altos had it as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The VII altos are very nice playing horns. I never had any complaint with the keywork. They are a real bargain even at the recent prices.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember back in the day a few of the top players in London were using Mark VI alto necks on their VII alto bodies and liking the results.

My experience in the late 70's was that the players I knew were waiting with eager anticipation for the VII to come out. I knew a guy who held off buying a VI tenor to buy a VII. I traded my VI alto for a lac VII as soon as they hit here without trying it ( I was young). I can't remember exactly why but my heart sank when I played it. Maybe if I'd never had a VI it would have been ok. I went back to the store and my VI was in the window relacquered. I went to another store I knew and gave them the VII in trade and waited for the 62 Yamaha to hit. I had to borrow an alto from the store because I had a regular residency in a nightclub. Played the 62 for a few years and went back to a VI alto where I stay. I think it would be interesting to try a well set up one now.

The silver plated VI are stuffy thing is nonesense.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ward View Post
    The silver plated VI are stuffy thing is nonesense.
    But that the silver VI tenors consistently sell for less than their original lacquered counterparts is fact.

Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    But that the silver VI tenors consistently sell for less than their original lacquered counterparts is fact.
    I think that's an aesthetic choice. You would no doubt find that Yamaha sell more lac models today . All kinds of factors. Maintenance.. silver plate can look pretty dowdy pretty quickly as I know from owning a VI with plated keys. Also Selmer charge more for Silver plate as do Yamaha. I think also some associate silver plate with the Military or concert bands..

My point wasn't about sales but stuffiness. My teacher way back when played a silver plated VI and he was a monster on everything. I could compile a list of players who play SP VI's if I had the inclination.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ward View Post
    I think that's an aesthetic choice. You would no doubt find that Yamaha sell more lac models today . All kinds of factors. Maintenance.. silver plate can look pretty dowdy pretty quickly as I know from owning a VI with plated keys. Also Selmer charge more for Silver plate as do Yamaha. I think also some associate silver plate with the Military or concert bands..

My point wasn't about sales but stuffiness. My teacher way back when played a silver plated VI and he was a monster on everything. I could compile a list of players who play SP VI's if I had the inclination.
    Eli Bennett plays a Silver VI. And a Stock NY Otto Link to Boot. Although tenor.
    Don't do drugs. Do Overtones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPySDpoSiY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    The altos were victims of the true hate for the tenors. And yeah, I had a Mark VII tenor since high school. It was my first brand new horn and it served me very, very well for many years. Then I came here and tried everything else out there... most of which put my VII to shame. It's since been sold, as I didn't even want it for a backup. But the altos always had a good reputation.

Curious Cash... can you look down inside the bell of your VII alto and see if there's a space between the bell/bow brace? Like they're not completely joined. My tenor had that flaw and I was wondering if altos had it as well.

I took a look..My VII alto looks perfect, maybe you had a lemon