Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Brand New Book By Steve Neff "Mastering Altered Pentatonics"

Mastering Altered Pentatonics

Any serious fan of jazz has at one time or another heard a solo where the line being played made them turn towards the soloist with a look of concern. “Where were they going with this line?” “What are they thinking?” “Do they know they are playing the wrong notes?” If you have been in that seat looking at the soloist you know there is a moment where you feel some nervousness and anxiety. “Those notes are not right!” we think. Then the soloist masterfully weaves the crazy line he was just playing into sweet consonance and harmony. Our nervousness and anxiety melts away and we feel at peace with the world. Yet our heart is still pounding with excitement as if we just got off the world’s biggest roller coaster.

The great players of jazz have learned the fine art of weaving in and out of a tonality whenever they please. It has the same affect on us listeners as riding a roller coaster or watching a tightrope walker performing sixty stories above the street. Those who have ears that perceive what is going on recognize the intricate balance of dissonance and consonance being played with by the soloist. Once we recognize it we are enthralled and unable to look away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MasteringAlteredPentatonicsfrontsmall.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	132458

In “Mastering Altered Pentatonics”, we are taking the most benign of scales, the pentatonic scale, through the ringer. We are working on mastering it using twenty-nine scale patterns that we then alter to create new and fresh sounds that are far from benign. At times, they sound almost dangerous in their tension and dissonance. By practicing these altered pentatonic patterns and weaving in and out of them we are practicing the fine art of balancing our lines between consonance and dissonance while we improvise. The more adept we become at this balancing act the more exciting and entertaining our lines and solos will become. Inside, we will take the pentatonic scale through eleven alterations. Each one having it’s own sound and flavor. Join me in discovering a new way to approach thinking and playing while improvising that will lead you to discover new and fresh sounding lines. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I have enjoyed working on it.

Inside, we will take the pentatonic scale through eleven alterations. Each one having it’s own sound and flavor. The book is 368 pages long and in all 12 keys. It comes with a 49 minute overview video lesson of the book where I talk about and demonstrate the concepts from the book on the tenor saxophone.

Join me in discovering a new way to approach thinking and playing your lines that will lead you to discover new and fresh sounding lines. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I have enjoyed working on it. Steve

If you are interested in the printed version of the book you can find it here at http://www.lulu.com/shop/steve-neff/...-23325598.html (There is also a preview of the book at this link under the picture of the cover. Just click on "preview")
    Miniatures attachées Miniatures attachées MasteringAlteredPentatonics_front.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Brand New Book By Steve Neff "Mastering Altered Pentatonics"

Although this has advanced lines in it also has the basic pentatonic scale in 29 great patterns that are in all 12 keys. I chose the ones I thought sounded the hippest.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From working on one of the lines this morning I realized that for me the best way to work on these is to get the pattern in line 1 of each page down solid so you don't have to look at it. Then when you play through it try to substitute an altered pentatonic when you get to measure two( you can look at it on the page) and switch back to the regular pentatonic for measure 3. That works great for me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve - I placed an order for the printed version earlier....looking forward to adding these lines to my practice routine!
    “You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob M View Post
    Steve - I placed an order for the printed version earlier....looking forward to adding these lines to my practice routine!
    Great! Thanks Bob. If you email me the receipt I can send you a link to download the video lesson I made that goes with it as well as the PDF if you want to take a look before it gets there. I'm curious to know what people think. I'm totally excited about it and have sold a bunch in the last two days but no feedback or reviews yet. I understand people have to spend some time with it........It was a boatload of work for me. I'm waiting for my printed version to arrive as well. Steve

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excited to get my new book in the mail today. 365 pages that took me forever to write and organize. It's on altered pentatonics and how to use them in patterns while improvising for a more modern "outside" sound. As hard as that was to do, now comes the hard part of practicing everything I wrote so I can play it.............this might take a while......(the book came out perfect by the way....very happy!)

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2017/0...d-pentatonics/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	134202

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait to get mine. It arrives Thursday.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MDWade View Post
    Can't wait to get mine. It arrives Thursday.
    Cool, let me know if you have any questions. If you didn't email me the receipt do so and I can hook you up with an overview video lesson that goes with the book. Thanks, Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neff..."Write On". You help keep the wonderful world of jazz creative.
    DN Rhythm Website - - - Musician T-Shirts (amazon)
    "Easy Easy Bebop" Bebop licks and phrases put into words. (2nd Edition) Kindle or Paperback {Amazon}.
    "Easy Easy Bebop" Bebop licks and phrases put into words. (2nd Edition) Paperback {Createspace}.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if I posted it yet but the grooves on this blog article are killin' to use the altered pentatonic lines over.

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2013/0...funky-grooves/

Also, All my printed books including the New "Mastering Altered Pentatonics" book are on sale today.

30% off all printed books until midnight on October 12th using coupon code SAVENOW30
    http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/neff64