0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: FS Brilhart Hard Rubber Personaline ALTO

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_5365.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	132626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_5365.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	132626
    1940 Bundy Tenor - Berg Slant
    26m alto

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	SAM_5364.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	132634
    26m alto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post

Name:	SAM_5364.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	132634
    Does this have rounded sidewalls? Not sure if some of the personalines came with straight walls or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Straigt sidewalls
    26m alto

B side of Drag City. Shady side of the street.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
    Straigt sidewalls
    If these are like the tenor HR pieces, there is a curved sidewall variant, with more baffle, called the "S" chamber, and the straight wall variant, with less baffle, called "L". The facing marking on the side will say "L3" or "S4" etc., the number designating the tip opening (which it seems were not necessarily very reliable, accurate numbers).

Forum Contributor 2013 SimonJazzSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SchlockRod View Post
    If these are like the tenor HR pieces, there is a curved sidewall variant, with more baffle, called the "S" chamber, and the straight wall variant, with less baffle, called "L". The facing marking on the side will say "L3" or "S4" etc., the number designating the tip opening (which it seems were not necessarily very reliable, accurate numbers).
    This is not consistent with the many many Brilharts I have owned. The "L" and "S" refer to the facing curve length and correspond to long and short. Furthermore, the Personaline pieces, of which there were 3 models, were just specialized versions of each of the already available models. For example, the white Personaline was based on the Tonalin and had what Brilhart referred to as the vita-curve facing curve. This vita-curve along with the outside shape is what made it special / differentiated it from a regular Tonalin. There was a long and a short vita-cure just as their was a long and short curve on the regular Tonalin. On the regular models, they denoted the long and or short facing cure with a "*". So 3* Tonalin was a 3 tip opening with a short facing curve. No "*" meant the curve was long. A S3 Personaline was a 3 tip opening with a short vita-curve.

There were Tonalin, Ebolin and Hard Rubber variations of the Personaline. I will dig through my files, but I have a nice PDF image of an advertisement from Brilhart in the 1950's that explains all this stuff.
    Just remember to make the best MUSIC you have the ability to make. If you do that, you are a successful musician.
    www.simonhardingmusic.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonJazzSax View Post
    This is not consistent with the many many Brilharts I have owned. The "L" and "S" refer to the facing curve length and correspond to long and short. Furthermore, the Personaline pieces, of which there were 3 models, were just specialized versions of each of the already available models. For example, the white Personaline was based on the Tonalin and had what Brilhart referred to as the vita-curve facing curve. This vita-curve along with the outside shape is what made it special / differentiated it from a regular Tonalin. There was a long and a short vita-cure just as their was a long and short curve on the regular Tonalin. On the regular models, they denoted the long and or short facing cure with a "*". So 3* Tonalin was a 3 tip opening with a short facing curve. No "*" meant the curve was long. A S3 Personaline was a 3 tip opening with a short vita-curve.

There were Tonalin, Ebolin and Hard Rubber variations of the Personaline. I will dig through my files, but I have a nice PDF image of an advertisement from Brilhart in the 1950's that explains all this stuff.
    OK, then where do the round chamber scooped walled pieces fit in?

B side of Drag City. Shady side of the street.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonJazzSax View Post

I stand corrected, as Simon seems far more authoritative about this than what I've read elsewhere.
    I do, however, wonder as does Pontius what differentiates the curved vs. straight wall HR Personaline pieces. Perhaps this was a running change somewhere along the way, and they were not produced concurrently?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

180 euro shipped worldwide
    26m alto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)