Sax on the Web Forum banner

Gloger silver on baritone

6K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Tzadik 
#1 ·
I've been going back and forth with my original and a silver Gloger neck I had made for my low Bb VI baritone. My conclusion is that the Gloger brings a little more evenness to the scale and the tone produced is a little clearer with a moderate volume increase. The bell keys in particular feel a little fuller. Using a Theo Wanne 8star Durga piece ( 115) with 3 and 31/2 Plasticover reeds.

Any other Gloger necks on bari ?

#2 ·
hello there....
i have a gloger on a super20 baritone....
i have had 3 of these baritones over the years,and this one seems to have a very lovely tone with the gloger...
i don't have the original neck to compare,but i thought it was the neck that did make this one sound better than the last 2 i sold,which both had silver necks....

cheers,philip

#6 ·
I have the same effects as mentioned for my MK VI and my Super 20. The Super 20 has improved intonation with the silver gloger. - I'm waiting for the silver necks for my Buffet S1 and the one for the The Martin Magna....

#7 ·
Karsten had made a beautiful copper neck for my bass that fattened up the sound nicely - so I went ahead and bought a copper bari neck from him that I play on my Yani 900. Plays wonderfully. Slightly less resistance and a little more complexity to the tone really loving it on both horns.

Automotive lighting Wood Door Plumbing fixture Window
Wood Household hardware Metal Fashion accessory Tool

#9 ·
very nice, albeit with an certain industrial look about it ( I can’t help thinking it looks like a faucet ) the tenon is not visible.

Does this neck fit any specific baritone or do you produce different models fitting different baritones ( you seem to have two different designs in the second picture) ? The system with O rings is very nice but it won’t fit too many necks unless the mouthpiece side is an attachment (available in different sizes) which comes in different diameters ø.

One of the great advantages of Gloger necks is that he has measured hundreds of saxophone necks and has exact measure which allow his necks to be exact replicas for volume, curvature and length.

Next to this, he is among the very few willing to produce baritone necks withan octave key. Without Gloger the people needing necks for American, Italian and French horns ( with the exception of Selmer) and some German and Bohemian horns won’t have any replacements.

#14 ·
Thanks Dirk!

Rampone & Cazzani neck

which set side by side to the conn reveals a completely different position of the octave pip.

THAT however doesn't necessarily mean that the Rampone & Cazzani will be the ideal replacement for a Santoni neck which we don't have (YET?) to compare with the other two.

#17 ·
According to the picture by Karsten Gloger that milandro posted in one of your crossthreads, these are my measurements (taken with an old Sowjet "CCCP" caliper that may come close to the tools they use in the R&C factory :twisted: and dental floss for the curved outlines):

Tin Gas Font Cylinder Nickel

C: 26.0mm
E: 21.55mm
I: 6.0mm
H: approx. 19.4mm
inner diameter at the bottom: 24.0mm
inner diameter at the top: 17.0mm
overall length in the middle axes (as a medium between outer lenths at top and bottom lines): approx. 240mm
distance from bottom to middle of octave pip: 60mm

for the "functional length" of the neck you have to substract "E"

#16 ·
well, one thing is for sure, the octave pip is in a very different place than the Conn.

I am afraid that that is already enough to say that even if the length ( the taper is nearly impossible to really “ measure “) and volume would be the same , this alone would justify intonation differences in the second register.

Anyway the best thing would be to compare the Rampone to another Evette ( Santoni) baritone.

Only THEN you would know if it is a good replacement. Lacking that, buying the Rampone & Cazzani neck contains an element of luck!

#18 ·
Many thanks!

Mr Claudio Zolla answered me the following about necks by RC and ES:
"They are not same measurements at all! I am sorry! Despite this we could likely make a neck for you if we have the baritone here!"

Probably have to send him my baritone, so they made a neck. If I do not find other options.

#19 ·
Did you show the pictures of your saxophone to Claudio?

He might think that you are talking of a completely different Evette. Did you tell him this is a Santoni made sax?

Even if you send him your baritone ( from Russia and back? This will cost a fortune and you have some serious issues with customs in Russia, if I remember well) there is no guarantee that the neck will have no intonation issues.

#20 ·
seriously Russ, if you just asked without sending pictures, whether Evette Schaeffer baritones and Rampone & Cazzani are similar without saying that this saxophone in your possession is very likely to have been made by Alfredo Santoni , ditta Giglio, in Paré Como, then Claudio might have made this statement based od incorrect information.

Tell him that. They (his father and uncle for sure) will know who Alfredo Santoni was and if the design of their baritone saxophone was comparable.

Santoni, although they produced few saxophones under their name, was one of the largest European producers for at least two decades, they produced saxophones for many brands and Buffet and Malerne were certainly involved with them.

This is a brand that until few years ago was almost invariably unidentified.

#22 ·
Rampone Cazzani answered me that the manufacture of a new neck by them will cost me more than $ 500. This is very expensive for me, if to take into account that I will have to send them my baritone (expensive postage). I would like to advertise here that I want to find such a neck or find the owner of the same baritone to get a measurement of his neck from him. However, I can not do it yet, since I'm a beginner. Maybe someone will help me find the owner of the baritone Evette Schaeffer?

#23 ·
there is no need to send the baritone to Italy.

It will be crazily expensive and bureaucratically a nightmare, I have extended experience with trading with Russia and the first thing that always came up with clients was the difficulty in avoiding hefty customs costs.

A hand made to specs Gloger Baritone Neck with octave key in copper will cost you €350 (which really shames the price asked by Rampone & Cazzani, they Super Model is not a very expensive saxophone how can they ask €500 for its neck? I am disappointed!)

READ please the pricelist here (follow the link)

http://www.gloger-handkraft.com/saxneck.htm

I am afraid that even if you could advertise here you wouldn't be able to find a spare neck for an Evette Schaeffer Baritone.

There are very few of these baritones around and there will be even fewer available necks around the entire world.

Do get in touch with Gloger again.

Be patient.

Describe exactly the situation. Tell him that you have a Buffet Evette Schaeffer baritone which in all probability is a Santoni made stencil.

There is a remote chance that he has already done something like this and I know that he would have kept all the measurements.

In any cade DO provide him the measurements of the receiver (at least).

Despite the fact that you cannot advertise you can ask members that we know tey have a baritone of your brand.

They can send you pictures and measurements

these members are: (some of them might no longer be active here do send them an email since the private messages won't always reach them).

Monty Mac

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?75436-MontyMac

Gene

Mr.Lee

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?20117-Mr-Lee

Burnigpreps

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?23568-burningpreps

MAYBE Dansax64

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?14694-DanSax64

sonofjaba had one for sale

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?34237-sonofjabba

Agraham24 has one like yours I will show you the pictures they are here

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=VXYtZU9hSENsOTlCWkVlU0dSMzR4TEttNWZhOUxB

this is his profile

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?99458-agraham24

this looks IDENTICAL to yours

#24 ·
From Europe to Russia (or viceversa), you have to pay, VAT and duty taxes...
But due to international sanctions... just duty taxes are around 40%.

Unfortunately, it's not a big deal to buy/sell... from or to Russia, in this moment! :(

European politicians are just... pathetic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.