Sax on the Web Forum banner

Galassine new strain of low saxophones.

17K views 52 replies 14 participants last post by  LowGBass 
#1 ·
This is their blog ( check out the pics!)

http://galassine.blogspot.nl

The address

Lopes Instrumentos Rua Jurandyr Goulart n. 452 Pq. Sta. Bárbara Campinas SP, (19) 3281 2182. Tema Espetacular Ltda.

Lopes was always known among the low sounding saxophones:( bass , contrabass) makers of Brazil along with J'elle Steiner.

Now it seems they have morphed into a new company or at least they call the products differently.

Galassine.

Music aside ( The Brazilian videos show these instruments used mainly in sacred sort of music setting). They are very interesting, especially the " Compact" Bass.

I have no idea of their price and who might be importing them but they are certainly worth checking out.

I've tried to find some interesting videos.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi, I'm Galassine Saxophones

I love bass saxophone, we make each instrument handmade, with lots of love and affection.
We do:
Baritone Eb: Low A
Baritone Eb: Low G
---------------------------
Baritone Bb: Low Bb
Baritone Bb: Low A
Bass sax Bb: Low A compact
Bass sax Bb: Low G SuperBass
Contrabaritone sax Eb: Low A compact
Contrabass sax Eb: Low A compact
Subcontrabass sax Bb: Low A

#4 ·
Welcome to SOTW.

Nice of you to follow up this thread.

As for your “ introduction”.

Probably you are a person (with a first name, no need of your surname) whom is representing Galassine saxophones, it will be nice of you to introduce yourself with at least your first name.

Unless your surname is Galassine, Nobody IS a company, people represent a company.

#11 ·
Well, the names aren't that meaningful anyway. The baritone saxophone is arguably the bass of the family - like the cello is the bass of the strings, and the bass saxophone is more of a contrabass. So if we're amenable to fixing that, then this thing would be your Bb bass - as opposed to common Bb contrabass. Oh well. Maybe it's in the tubax family, instead.

#17 ·
there are no zombie threads specially not one only few months old ( less than a year ago).

The enentire point of having an archive is to use it and continue using it.

I think these are made by Lopes , different company.

Lopes Instrumentos Rua Jurandyr Goulart n. 452 Pq. Sta. Bárbara Campinas SP, (19) 3281 2182. Tema Espetacular Ltda.

#21 · (Edited)
There are some videos on youtube ( terrible music of this video.... ) by the way do you have distributors in Europe or in Asia? I may have contacts for you

I suggest to publish some better videos and especially videos with different music ( I understand the copyright issues which youtube throws but it is better to use people demonstrating the horn differently) there are a lot of videos where people play religious music , I understand this is the base of the buyers in Brazil but not around the rest of the world.

You are in risk of charachterise your instruments as only being fit to play church music and that has a very limited audience among players ( we have a special section for worship music by the way).

#23 ·
Their very limited customer base (literally a cult following, how about that?) may however be more numerous than the people who need a contrabass sax in the rest of the world. Especially when the Chinese are ready to jump on any manufactured item if it does have any sales potential. I think the cost of living in Brazil is too high to compete with the Chinese, and the same with likely any place else you'd want to buy a sax from, so the market is going to continue to be Chinese plus a few Selmer / Eppelsheim class instruments.

#25 ·
Well, yes and no, some time ago I met the Italian representative of J'elle Steiner ( oddly he was called Gilberto Lopes ) ,

they started selling ( several years ago) their products and enjoyed a certain popularity too.

You could already buy a Chinese bass (2 different types) from China directly ( they sold in China for about €1500 f.o.b and retailed in the west for a LOT more) but j'elle steiner offered the short wrap version of a bass as well as one of the largest (the longest at the time, they made the Guinness book of records)

Nowhere near the quality of Eppelsheim but they were cheaper and, if possible, weirder

I don't know if J'elle Steiner still exists but they sold well as long as they existed. If Galassine-Lopes , imprroves their marketing there is no reason why they shouldn't sell too.

#24 ·
So, did we learn anything from that mouthpiece test? I'm wondering if it's so flat on the highest notes played in the second piece, because of a classic too-small-chamber mouthpiece tuning problem? Seems to be in Bb, and the high note I'm looking at seems to want to be G, after 2:00.

#32 ·
I just bought one. Will definitely report back when it arrives - super excited to try it! From the Brazilian videos I've watched, the intonation is definitely questionable - seems like the lowest register (especially the low G) is quite sharp. Anyone have any mouthpiece recommendations that might rectify this situation? From my understanding, I would be looking for something with the largest chamber possible, am I correct?

#33 ·
I am very interested in your report, I have contacted Edson myself . If I understand this correctly you have a few months to wait. I thought they also produced mouthpieces. I doubt that there are many people in the world who have tried several of the very few mouthpieces availble for Bass to be able to say what whorks on this rare saxophone. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.