[OPEN] forum search is broken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default forum search is broken

searches for older threads only yield partial links. e.g. while searching for an old thread of mine using words: navarro RPC, it only yields 4 links, none of which is the thread I was looking for: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ne-mouthpieces

I tried clicking my user name and selecting 'latest started threads' and it only shows 17 of my many threads between 2014 and 2017, again, not including the recent thread above which I started (nor many others of mine).

something is really messed up in the forum database. when I see the administrator's answer to the last database error thread, calling is 'fixed', I don't have much hope for the future...
    https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...=1#post3016682

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: forum search is broken

It really depends what you look for and where

If I look for Navarro RPC here ( search box in the middle)

http://www.saxontheweb.net

for Navarro RPC I get 148 hits

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/gtsear...j1082275960j17

If I add GUTO to the search words I get 10 hits including some threads of yours (the one you were looking for appears to be the first one in this list)

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/gtsear...j6679723942j22

it is pretty much the same problem reported by me in another thread.

There is I look within my last started threads I find only a couple for sale recors but If I go to the search box at the top the center of this page page and search Milandro SALE I find 7,000 + hits (not all my ads but it helps me finding things)

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/gtsear...j6679723942j22

The search has been made difficult by someone attempting to do something but the capability of the search engine to find things in the database is still there but it has been removed from many other locations.

It looks almost like this was done on purpose.

Since they should have kept a log of the things they have done they should also be able to undo it.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Search issue has a ticket in for it already. I'm hoping to get this put on the critical issues list soon

Case #2681492

Kevin

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, Kevin.
    Please do.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Techs are still looking into getting this sorted out. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Cheers,
    Natalie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is anyone working on this? I would like to revive an old post, but if it appears unlikely the search function will be fixed, I'll post anew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

leon, it pretty much depends what you are looking for.

I seriously don’t have any problem in performing straight searches throughout the forum.

It’s thing like search the previous posts in the profile that have been axed.

I’ve just searched “ tuning fork” and I get 208 hits. going back many years.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/gtsear...453j1018679j11

Not only, but I can edit the search once performed, which is a very nice function.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's being worked on, though we just had a long weekend, so a bit of delay in forward momentum. Ticket is still alive though

Go with what milandro said for now

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having this problem too. An example of a search that appears to be broken: searching "alto" in the sax necks/etc for sale subforum yields 9 results, only going back to August 28th.
    Yamaha YTS-62iii tenor/Paraschos Selmer Neck/Vandoren T20/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Cannonball BBSS Brute alto/Selmer Concept MOJO/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Buffet Prodige clarinet/Vandoren Masters CL6/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I searched "Bari" in saxophones for sale for a friend of mine… only three hits!
    Yamaha YTS-62iii tenor/Paraschos Selmer Neck/Vandoren T20/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Cannonball BBSS Brute alto/Selmer Concept MOJO/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Buffet Prodige clarinet/Vandoren Masters CL6/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We apologize for the inconvenience for the lack of results produced for the time being. Our techs are still working on getting this sorted out and we'll give you an update once there is one available.

Your continued patience and understanding is greatly appreciated. (ticket# 2681492)

Thank you,
    Nate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any update on this issue? I get very limited search results, too.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V why the heck can't the servers run this forum?

It's still in multiple languages and held together by shoe strings.

People get frustrated and stop logging in.

no disrespect, just seems ongoing...endless
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saxydude View Post
    Any update on this issue? I get very limited search results, too.
    Perhaps I can assist you with your problems if you say what is that you want to search.

I had to make do with what we have to find my For Sale ads and found a workaround.

As for the problem of not addressing effectively the problems ( which is in itself a nice paradox).

For some reason this (and many other issues) seem to be beyond the capability of the technical staff which, according to the several names of many people signing posts and to whom “ tickets” or cases are addressed should count many more people that this forum has ever needed to be run.

Let’s hope this is not anything that is designed to wear out the resistance to changes and that these will then be presented to us as unavoidable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milandro, your hope is the opposite of my expectation (and, I would suppose, yours as well...)
    Dirk

Yamaha YBS-62E and YTS-32. Couesnon tenor and alto ('60s-'70s). Baroque recorders (Bernolin).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am forever the optimist and ( but I have been disappointed many many many times) I still hold a thinning belief in the fundamental goodness of MOST people (until disproven that is!).

We shall see what the future brings.

Frankly most people here never seemed to realize the value of the archives (you know the “ use the search engine” mantra) until they lost it (albeit only partly the main search engine work well, but you have to fee the search engine relevant search terms coupled to the identity of the poster to retrieve old posts).

I am really not bothered by the use of the French language ( as, I am, sure you aren’t too ) but the fact that I cannot search my previous posts or search the for sale ads bothers me.

Nevertheless I seem still to look up things even when others are unable to (by the simple use of logic really, no special powers).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    Perhaps I can assist you with your problems if you say what is that you want to search.
    I'm doing market research on a few horns that I'm considering selling. When I search the "Saxophones for Sale" forum for "Couesnon," for example, I get zero results. When I search for "Kohlert" I get one result. It's maddening, and it's been this way for months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saxydude View Post
    I'm doing market research on a few horns that I'm considering selling. When I search the "Saxophones for Sale" forum for "Couesnon," for example, I get zero results. When I search for "Kohlert" I get one result. It's maddening, and it's been this way for months.
    Yes, indeed, the specialized search areas don’t work.

But the general search engine does, and works well.

go here ( not the one on each page at the top right) you see a search box in the middle, top part of the page.

http://www.saxontheweb.net

There you search

For sale Couesnon

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/gtsear...850j3267694j20

You find 1530 entries.

Granted it is not the same as the search within the For sale ads ( because it is not ordered by date) but it can help you.

for sale Kohlert

1020 results

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/gtsear...938j1265792j18

And so on.

I am not trying to play down the seriousness of the problem, on the contrary, as someone selling saxophones here (not many but yet) I am very damaged by this situation. I am just trying to help you.

I hop you will find what you are looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    Yes, indeed, the specialized search areas don’t work.

But the general search engine does, and works well.

go here ( not the one on each page at the top right) you see a search box in the middle, top part of the page.
    Much appreciated. Thank you! Not ideal, but considerably better than the alternative.

Let's hope the powers that be can get our forum running a little more respectably. Sad state of affairs at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, , as things are , the “ Search Thread” and “ Last started threads” are absolutely useless to retrive old things.

To tell you my experience, I was trying to add to a thread that I’ve started on not using the stands ad a “ cradle” .

Despite my generally useful ability to search, I haven’t been able to find this thread. I couldn’t find it within the threads that I’ve started or the general search.

Loosing this thread won’t be of any consequence but having an archive and not being able to use it is ridiculous.

It is like having an attic full of boxes and you don’t know their content. What is that good for?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast