Bluetooth speaker recommendation needed

Distinguished SOTW Member LateNiteSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bluetooth speaker recommendation needed

I will be traveling for a couple of months. I want to pack a bluetooth speaker to practice with to link to my iPad. Something that combines light weight, sufficiently output to practice a saxophone along with backing tracks/iRealpro (not perform). I do not use headphones with one ear on/one off and all of that, and will not have means to have my self in the headphone mix, so I need a straight up speaker. No need for water proof. Price is flexible. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks
    "We sax players need to stick together and save the world." Sonny Rollins, 1993 after a show.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bluetooth speaker recommendation needed

I just picked up a Nice sony speaker model SRS-XB2 used for quite cheap, bluetooth enabled.

Can get pretty darn loud and has a rather even sound to it with the nice (and in my case always enabled) option for extra bass.

The JBL flip 3 is also quite nice and around the same price point. Probably a little bit nicer in comparison.

Beyond that you're looking at stuff from Sonos or Bose for much much more.

Check out pawn shops. I visited a few and they all had a couple different options. I got my Sony speaker for $60. Great deal if you ask me.
    Don't do drugs. Do Overtones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteSax View Post
    I will be traveling for a couple of months. I want to pack a bluetooth speaker to practice with to link to my iPad. Something that combines light weight, sufficiently output to practice a saxophone along with backing tracks/iRealpro (not perform). I do not use headphones with one ear on/one off and all of that, and will not have means to have my self in the headphone mix, so I need a straight up speaker. No need for water proof. Price is flexible. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks
    I have an Auvio Outbound that I got at the local RadioShack fire sale for around $40 that I use for this. It's not exactly hi fidelity but it is loud enough to hear if you crank it up. There are a ton of them on ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2728110...=ps&dispItem=1

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a nice little thread discussion. Perhaps it'll help?

Bluetooth or Wi-Fi Speakers

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the JBL Flip 2, and I like it. My daughter has the larger JBL Charge, which is very good sounding and can get quite loud, but it may be larger/heavier than ideal for travel. I picked up an Altec Lansing Mini Lifejacket (because it was on sale cheap and is waterproof), but it does not sound as good as the JBLs - thinner, harsher sound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on the JBL flip(I one a Flip 2). It's small but offers decent sound. The newer one have has a longer performing battery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest the JBL flip 4 and the UE Boom 2. They both have the best sound quality but the JBL has the bass needed for most music. the UE is a bit flat but great for accustic music. Both have around 13-15 hours of battery life and are water proof/resistant. The JBL new is $100 and the UE is $200 but you can find the UE in basically new shape on ebay for $100.

Jo
    Alto- Keilwerth ST90 (Temporary), Vandoren Optimum AL3, Vandoren 3 & 3 1/2, Rovner Dark
    Tenor- Yamaha YTS-875EX Custom EX Gold Lacquer, Selmer S80 C**, Vandoren 3 1/2 & 4, Vandoren Optimum
    Baritone- 1961 H Couf Superba II, Eugene Rousseau New Classic NC4, Vandoren 3 & 3 1/2, Rovner Eddie Daniels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brookstone T600 flash speaker - $9.99 on sale

For that price, buy 4!!

Bose Soundlink Mini II - $180

I have both. The Bose is incredibly good. The Brookstone is phenomenal at THAT price...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just ran across this deal:

Doss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UE Mini Booms. Get two and pair em for awesome stereo separation. Small but crank!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to pack a bluetooth speaker to practice with to link to my iPad. Something that combines light weight, sufficiently output to practice a saxophone along with backing tracks/iRealpro (not perform). I do not use headphones with one ear on/one off and all of that, and will not have means to have my self in the headphone mix, so I need a straight up speaker. No need for water proof. Price is flexible. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks

I love my Bose soundlink ii. My dad has the soundlink mini which is much smaller. I think they are about the same price but the SoundLink II which is about two and a half to three times larger has a little bit more volume to it and can handle bass notes much better.

I have had this one for awhile (hijacked from pops) might be up to the SoundLink 3 or 4 by this time. I think they run a couple hundred bucks. The battery life depending on how loud you play it is awesome. I think I've gotten more than about 8 hours out of it. I don't play it super loud though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go this one. Its sufficient. Certainly loud enough but like most consumer audio devices, it puts out more bass than I care for. weighs about 2.5 kg Somehow western society is obsessed with loud bass frequencies in their pop music.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-XTREME-S...72.m2749.l2649
    "We sax players need to stick together and save the world." Sonny Rollins, 1993 after a show.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster
    Forum Contributor 2007-present
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see you got one that's "splashproof". Planning on lounging by the pool watching the girlies go by?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PoWMIWn7E

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    - - Chet Baker

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been quite a while since I took a look at what's available out there for bluetooth speakers. This thread prompted me to take a spin on the innernet to see what kind of updates were made since I got my hands on the Bose speaker of awesome several years ago. Woah. Big improvements. I'm totally digging this bad boy -

Manufacturer website - https://www.audiopro.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Pro-Add...addon+c5&psc=1

Way more connection options and the ability to hook up additional speakers into the sound network.

I read a review out on https://www.whathifi.com/audio-pro/a...-content-start that gives some promise of performance. Anyone try one of these? Little spendy, and there are other options in their inventory of product. Very cool stuff. I'm particularly digging the look and the connectivty options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go this one. Its sufficient. Certainly loud enough but like most consumer audio devices, it puts out more bass than I care for. weighs about 2.5 kg Somehow western society is obsessed with loud bass frequencies in their pop music.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-XTREME-S...72.m2749.l2649
    Good buy and +1 on the bass heavy fixation. Given the chance, I always turn down the bass (or leave it neutral) and increase the higher frequencies.

(And not just because I'm getting old! )

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it comes from the mentality that generally... the smaller the speaker the less bass response you are going to get. These companies are addressing the issue by using drivers and stuff to boost the bass response.

It's better to have it and not use it than it is to not have and be like "Why does my music sound so bad?"
    Don't do drugs. Do Overtones.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I bought a JBL Charge 2 (in St. Maarten!) three years ago on my first cruise contract, and it's still going strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by littlewailer View Post
    I think it comes from the mentality that generally... the smaller the speaker the less bass response you are going to get. These companies are addressing the issue by using drivers and stuff to boost the bass response.

It's better to have it and not use it than it is to not have and be like "Why does my music sound so bad?"
    Oh yes! With the smaller speakers definitely! I was referring to most CD recordings that I have acquired in the last 40 years or so... regardless of system the recording was being delivered by. Most people I know prefer a pronounced bass line. My personal preference has me dialing down the bass and bringing out the highs, if possible, regardless of the system/speakers used. But, that's just my preference. Someone else who really likes to hear/feel the bass is not wrong. Just different to me...

Some folks like to feel the bass in their ears and chest. I'm just not one of them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats fo sho!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    I see you got one that's "splashproof". Planning on lounging by the pool watching the girlies go by?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PoWMIWn7E