Sax on the Web Forum banner

Glen Campbell has died

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  DTExpress 
#1 ·
KILLER musician and a very good actor. I have enjoyed him since my childhood, and was very saddened to hear this news.

LOADS OF CHOPS AND COULD PLAY IN ANY STYLE....HERES SOME BURNING JAZZ FOR YOU!

He will certainly be missed.

#2 ·
Man you beat Racketysax with the report, amazing.

Poor Glen suffered from Alzheimers disease for about a decade, a progressively debilitating affliction with no cure.

Wichita Lineman and Galveston were my favs throughout my childhood, getting massive airplay throughout my formative years.

RIP Glen

#5 ·
I just watched the documentary "I'll be me" about his farewell tour a couple weeks ago and was wondering the same. Being a lot younger than his era I can't say that I knew too much of him other than Rhinestone Cowboy prior to that, but the movie gave me a whole new appreciation for him as an artist. I'd highly recommend it (it's on Netflix). RIP...

#6 ·
My daughter and I missed getting tickets for his "farewell tour" appearance in Ann Arbor a few years back... we went the other night of the A^2 folk fest instead, with a lot of up and coming artists. I knew right away it was for the best because I heard he was aching and not sure what tune they just played etc. I'm glad my memories of him are records like Galveston, Wichita, Phoenix, and of course Gentle on My Mind.
I'm also glad he helped make Jimmy Webb who he was.
RIP.

#7 ·
My daughter (aspiring singer/musician/songwriter) saw his biography (paperback, '60s) at a garage sale and gave it to me. What sticks in my mind is how he told the movie producers (True Grit), to wit: I ain't talking that kind of language, talking about women that way, etc. You can keep your $xMillion paycheck. And they backed down and let him be true to how he was raised. That film was his huge break money-wise, as in like 10X the money he made the year before.

#10 ·
Some may not know that he was a studio player before he became popular. I've still got an original fun album of surfing music with Glenn in the band.

Ref. his singing, always also liked Wichita Lineman and By the Time I Get to Phoenix, (thank you Jimmy Webb; good combination.).

Rhinestone Cowboy I can't stand. He showed up on Carson show to sing it and was in such a corny outfit, Carson went into hysterical laughing. Never forget it.

Sad to seem him go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.