Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spotify, Pandora, Streaming, And Survival

The world does not owe creative artists a living, be they musicians, writers, painters, sculptors, dancers, etc.

Your best bet is to support live music.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The world does owe such a debt but history show it will rarely be paid.

Support live music, make music and keep your edge.

That and hope is all you have.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Distinguished SOTW Member Woody Reed's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lesacks View Post
    Presumably the labels are happy either way.
    And therein lies the problem. Most labels don't give a crap about the artist, and even less for the writer. Once the song is recorded, it's compulsory for the writer to issue a license. Then the label as the masters owner has the right to put it on any platform it wants. The writing rates are set by the congress here in the states. Spotify is getting sued right now for not even bothering to get the licenses for songs the stream claiming they didn't know how or where to get them. Hysterical. The labels had every opportunity to keep the music off of streaming. But why would they? The labels own like 25% of spotify. Its just another income stream that the labels can collect and hide from their artists so they don't have to pay any royalties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    The world does not owe creative artists a living, be they musicians, writers, painters, sculptors, dancers, etc.
    Or doctors, lawyers, brick layers, car salesmen, etc etc etc. But the government does owe protection to it's citizens from being stolen from. And that has been going on for 2 decades now with regard to music.

Funny enough, I was going to attach a youtube vid of Chapelle's "If the internet was a real place" sketch. When he walks into the mall, the alarms are going off as people are running out of the record store with music under their arms. As it turns out, comedy central somehow managed to get all the Chapelle sketches off the net. There ya go! All it takes is an effort to do so by the powers to be.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure what the world is and what it owes but the statement seems really nihilist to me.

Maybe the world does not owe but society certsinly does.

The world, if we are talking planet earth owes no one. It recognizes no one and it won't miss our existence. However, the world of mankind owes a tremendous debt to artists. What kind of world would we live in otherwise?

A society that ignores its debts is one which is morally and spiritually bankrupt. It's continued default will lead to emptiness.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Sharpe View Post
    David Byrne argues: "The boom in digital streaming may generate profits for record labels and free content for consumers, but it spells disaster for today's artists across the creative industries "
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Reed View Post
    It's not so much the artist getting screwed with streaming, it's more the writer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund451 View Post
    A society that ignores its debts is one which is morally and spiritually bankrupt. It's continued default will lead to emptiness.
    So what do you want to DO about it?
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Reed View Post
    The labels had every opportunity to keep the music off of streaming.
    And therein lies the other side of the problem! The labels had no way to avoid streaming. Ripping CDs to MP3 and copies is what killed CDs... And CDs killed vinal. Where "killed" means stopped being the cash cow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lesacks View Post
    And therein lies the other side of the problem! The labels had no way to avoid streaming. Ripping CDs to MP3 and copies is what killed CDs... And CDs killed vinal. Where "killed" means stopped being the cash cow.
    Vinyl profits were nothing compared to the profits from CDs. Labels doubled the retail price of an album and cost a 1/4 of the price to manufacture. They took up less bin space and were much cheaper to ship. Peer to Peer (P2P) killed the industry. The silicon valley tribe's efforts to not regulate the net dwarfed the RIAA's efforts to protect their master recordings. You can't compete with free. So, the labels figured out they could own streaming and have a large revenue stream that they didn't have to share with anyone. The labels are happy. And they will be until enough artists figure out they don't need labels. Which is what's going on now.

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund451 View Post
    I'm not sure what the world is and what it owes but the statement seems really nihilist to me.

Maybe the world does not owe but society certsinly does.

The world, if we are talking planet earth owes no one. It recognizes no one and it won't miss our existence. However, the world of mankind owes a tremendous debt to artists. What kind of world would we live in otherwise?

I mostly agree with M. Sigmund451. In my opinion our society SHOULD be organized to help people live lives that are as fulfilling as possible, though of course it's not organized that way. I certainly feel an enormous personal debt to all the musicians who have done so much to enrich my life. As a rule, I think they deserve a better lot in life than what they tend to receive, and they ought to get it on the basis of the artistic contribution they make, not by working a day job at the post office. Taking the present case as an example, artists ought to get a reasonable share of streaming revenue, which is seems they are not.
    Stay thirsty my friends.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rackety Sax View Post
    ... artists ought to get a reasonable share of streaming revenue, which is seems they are not.
    Absolutely agree. The problem to be solved is how to make that happen.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why concert tickets are no longer $10 with four brand name bands on the bill...and also why so many old timers are touring again. There is money to be made - its just made in different ways. As to society owing anyone anything - I'm not so sure. It would be nice if everyone could have a fulfilling job with hours of your choice...tell me how this can be done and still get the trash hauled away, the sewage pumped, and the roads built and I'm fully on board. Oh...and who would pay all the really crappy songwriters to write really crappy songs?

Some cats are getting paid to do something they love, and still can't be bothered to show up to rehearsal having learned the parts...

....sober...

...and bathed...

...end of rant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fader View Post
    This is why concert tickets are no longer $10 with four brand name bands on the bill...and also why so many old timers are touring again. There is money to be made - its just made in different ways. As to society owing anyone anything - I'm not so sure. It would be nice if everyone could have a fulfilling job with hours of your choice...tell me how this can be done and still get the trash hauled away, the sewage pumped, and the roads built and I'm fully on board. Oh...and who would pay all the really crappy songwriters to write really crappy songs?

Some cats are getting paid to do something they love, and still can't be bothered to show up to rehearsal having learned the parts...

....sober...

...and bathed...

...end of rant
    Haha, yea, not easy questions, but then who knows what our society, with its vast wealth, could do if it actually tried.

On the original topic, I just checked in on Jessica Williams's website. I don't know how many people are aware of her, but I really love her playing - an amalgam of seemingly boundless technique and tasteful creativity. She's really hit hard times in the last few years with her health, and now says on her website that she is without a piano and a home. Not sure which is worse in her case. She has basically been reduced to soliciting assistance from strangers on her website.

She had the following comments germane to the streaming service discussion. She has close to 50 albums on Google Play. This is completely obscene.

My back was broken in 2012, after a lifetime as a pianist. My multi-level back-fusion required permanent internal rods, pedicle screws, and bone grafts. I lost my piano and all of my savings.

Please donate here

Please purchase my CDs directly from me, here

My last Google check was for .06 cents!

I am deeply grateful. — Jessica, Aug 11, 2017
    Stay thirsty my friends.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, yea, not easy questions, but then who knows what our society, with its vast wealth, could do if it actually tried.

On the original topic, I just checked in on Jessica Williams's website. I don't know how many people are aware of her, but I really love her playing - an amalgam of seemingly boundless technique and tasteful creativity. She's really hit hard times in the last few years with her health, and now says on her website that she is without a piano and a home. Not sure which is worse in her case. She has basically been reduced to soliciting assistance from strangers on her website.

She had the following comments germane to the streaming service discussion. She has close to 50 albums on Google Play. This is completely obscene.
    That is very sad and really brings the issue to light thank you for posting this.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Society does not owe anybody anything. It owes it to itself to think of something so these things can't happen.
    What a sad story. Can you post her website address please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warp x View Post
    ...What a sad story. Can you post her website address please?
    JessicaWilliams.com
    Stay thirsty my friends.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, what a shame. I used to see Jessica playing around town (when I lived in Oakland) back in the late '70s and '80's in lots of small venues, often with Vince Wallace on sax. She is one of the all time great jazz pianists. I'm so sorry to hear this...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2