Starting out at 48 years.? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Contributor 2016 tedtelle1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Starting out at 48 years.?

Started at 65 and took lessons for 4 years. If not now, when?
    20th Anniversary Cannonball Big Bell alto (Wabash)
    P. Mauriat System 76 3rd Edition alto (Greg Osby)
    King Cleveland alto (Elvis)
    Student of Saxual Healing

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are so many positive comments on here about taking up learning later in life.

I have played the piano since I was 4, now 51!

My son plays the trumpet really well, my dad the trombone - I cannot get a note out of either of them, however, have this hankering to try the saxophone - any advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lay down until the feeling passes. :-) Seriously, if you can, rent a sax and find a good teacher. A lot of music stores rent instruments and if you discover the sax is not for you, you're out a months rent. I started with a good teacher 7 years ago and still play at 72. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my humble opinion, nobody is ever to old to try anything, life is too short the way it is....try out the sax and see what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by tedtelle1 View Post
    Lay down until the feeling passes. :-) Seriously, if you can, rent a sax and find a good teacher. A lot of music stores rent instruments and if you discover the sax is not for you, you're out a months rent. I started with a good teacher 7 years ago and still play at 72. Good luck.
    You are spot on! The local music shop I purchased my Intermediate Bari from had actually told me "take it home for 3 weeks and be sure it is what you want". They took down all of my information, had me sign a "check out" form, and another form in case I damaged it while on the check out period, and so I had this brand new sax to test out for 3 weeks with NO commitment to purchase it. I did buy it 2.5 weeks later! Not sure about other places, but this particular place did offer me this try out period.

The best part was, there was multiple ways to pay for it. I could pay outright, or do a "rent to own/student program" (such as some families with students do, or if you have a tighter budget) with a small down payment, or pay for half of it and the rest on rent to own (keep in mind, this was available at this particular place), so I would assume other places may have some type of options for stepping into a sax of your choice.

Best of luck to you guys! Don't let age stop you! Have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started playing the saxophone three years ago, when I was 42. If there is a desire, age does not matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning as an adult, as I have, offers great benefits. Compared to starting as a child, you are smarter, are more persistent and have musical sensibilities that are mature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoSho View Post
    There are so many positive comments on here about taking up learning later in life.
    Interesting, isn't it.
    Of course there are positive comments, anyone who signed on as "Late Bloomer" and given up is probably gone!
    Very few people - none that I've seen - go "gosh, playing the sax was an expensive and miserable experience, I really must hang out on SOTW and warn people away"

Quote Originally Posted by ShoSho View Post
    I have played the piano since I was 4, now 51!

My son plays the trumpet really well, my dad the trombone - I cannot get a note out of either of them, however, have this hankering to try the saxophone - any advice?
    Also interesting. You have something which I lacked (age 53), having started 3 years ago with very little musical knowledge on any instrument. So the piano background should be a real leg up for that. IMHO, although the Sax depends less on the player to make the note than the trumpets, it still does if you want to get beyond playing 2.5 octaves at a basic level... Advice? I recon on the sax as much as Trumpets etc, but less so the piano. one still needs to develop a close relationship with generating the note.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=lesacks;3228137]Interesting, isn't it.
    Of course there are positive comments, anyone who signed on as "Late Bloomer" and given up is probably gone!
    Very few people - none that I've seen - go "gosh, playing the sax was an expensive and miserable experience, I really must hang out on SOTW and warn people away"

I'm sure the people who did not learn to play or enjoy it are not on this forum. Even so, learning as an adult can be done and there are benefits to being older and more mature. Most, probably don't stay with it to the point where they really play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While not being a late-bloomer myself my observation has been; what the guys that hang in there have is the right attitudes and what they don't have is unreasonable expectations. People that have never played an instrument before almost always underestimate the amount of time and effort it takes to make progress. They seem to think a few hours of practice a week and in 6 months they'll be playing like Parker or Trane. It doesn't take long for reality to set in and them to conclude there's a lot of stuff on Netflix that's more interesting than page 23 of the Rubank Elementary Method for Saxophone.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    While not being a late-bloomer myself my observation has been; what the guys that hang in there have is the right attitudes and what they don't have is unreasonable expectations. People that have never played an instrument before almost always underestimate the amount of time and effort it takes to make progress. They seem to think a few hours of practice a week and in 6 months they'll be playing like Parker or Trane. It doesn't take long for reality to set in and them to conclude there's a lot of stuff on Netflix that's more interesting than page 23 of the Rubank Elementary Method for Saxophone.
    Spot on.

I was once chatting with a very fine Eb player I know and he said, "People often come up to me at a gig and say 'I really wish I could play a saxophone.' And I think, no you don't, or you'd have one and be practicing every day."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play at a lot of open mic nights and one time had a non-player tell me I was out of tune. I told him I would rather be up on stage playing out of tune than sitting in the audience criticizing those who play. On the same night a player told me the Snark tuner I was using was spot on. Go figure.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play at a lot of open mic nights and one time had a non-player tell me I was out of tune. I told him I would rather be up on stage playing out of tune than sitting in the audience criticizing those who play. On the same night a player told me the Snark tuner I was using was spot on. Go figure.
    "Thank you for listening, I'll be more aware of that in the future." Hard to say from here, but they may have meant well.

The "non-player" may have noticed intonation issues relative to others. I've seen/heard that happen before - someone slaps on a Snark, and takes it as license to stop paying attention to their intonation. Just because an instrument is in tune with itself, doesn't make your instrument in tune with everyone else.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree Dr. G.. Always good to be polite to the audience. Meanwhile, if the person in the audience doesn't want to hear a player that might not be up to their standard, don't go to an open mic.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Years ago, I took my father to hear Artur Rubenstein's last live performance at the Philadelphia Academy of Music. He was playing Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1, one of the few classical works my father was quite fond of. I was very young and had never played an instrument, but I had listened to that concerto enough to wear the LP out. After the concert, I told my father that Rubenstein had played a wrong note in the first movement. My father scoffed at me, suggesting that I, who could not play, had no business claiming that the great Rubenstein could miss a note. The next day, in the Inquirer's review of the concert, the wrong note was mentioned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2