Starting out at 48 years.?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Starting out at 48 years.?

Here's my story, played guitar and bass for years, play in a jam band, about a month ago I bought a nuvo jsax.

I loved playing it so much that yesterday I bought a used alto sax!

I have a reasonable embouchure from the jsax and I know bagfed and a few scales for sax already.

I now have to learn what all those extra levers and bits on my sax that aren't on the jsax are for and how they relate to the instrument?

My greatest problem is I have very small hands, roughly 180cm from wrist to fingertip, so reaching the low note thingy? below the left hand G is hard for me.

Its not too late to start at 48 is it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Starting out at 48 years.?

Check out this late bloomers section for other people's stories.

There are plenty of late bloomers!

There are a lot of little tricks and basic processes that it would take a person years to learn on their own, if indeed they ever did.

What is more, unlearning a bad habit that is getting in the way could be hard.

Consequently, it would make it a lot easier for you to figure out all those "thingys" if you got a mentor or a tutor to set you up with a solid foundation, even if you do not want to take regular lessons.

If you can take lessons, that would be best.

It could be that your difficulty in reaching some of the keys might have to do with your playing position, which a saxophone pal or a more formal tutor could fix at once.

http://daviehighbands.weebly.com/upl...tosaxchart.pdf

Check out the fingering chart for the scales.

Good luck and let us know how it is going!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    Check out this late bloomers section for other people's stories.

There are plenty of late bloomers!

There are a lot of little tricks and basic processes that it would take a person years to learn on their own, if indeed they ever did.

What is more, unlearning a bad habit that is getting in the way could be hard.

Consequently, it would make it a lot easier for you to figure out all those "thingys" if you got a mentor or a tutor to set you up with a solid foundation, even if you do not want to take regular lessons.

If you can take lessons, that would be best.

It could be that your difficulty in reaching some of the keys might have to do with your playing position, which a saxophone pal or a more formal tutor could fix at once.

http://daviehighbands.weebly.com/upl...tosaxchart.pdf

Check out the fingering chart for the scales.

Good luck and let us know how it is going!

Thanks.
    To be honest I would love some lessons, but I just can't afford them.
    I only have a part time job and also have to look after elderly parents so my money has to be budgeted tightly!
    (Had to sell my anglo concertina to put towards buying the sax)

£30+ for an hours lesson is sadly not going to happen, the sax came with a lot of tuition books so I'll work through them.

Thanks for the link to the finger chart, that will be printed off in a bit. its very useful and uncluttered unlike some I have seen.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2016-17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too late for what? I started at 52, manage to play a few hours a week and the dogs stopped howling a while back. I'll never be great, but the drunks dancing to the jam band would probably be entertained well enough.

Have fun.
    Buffet Super Dynaction Tenor 16xxx
    Buescher Aristocrat Tenor 270xxx
    Phil-Tone Sapphire 6*
    10MFan Black Widow 7 (the first one!)

Buescher Aristocrat 140 Alto 331xxx
    Phil-Tone Aurora 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might be able to find a sax player who will give you some help without asking for money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

48 years old. A mere child!
    Definitely you are not too late to start playing. I started at 65.
    It's probable that neither of us will never reach Charlie Parker's standard, but it's also probable that we wouldn't have reached that standard whatever age we had started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely not too late. As others have said, it's most advisable to take lessons, even if you can only afford one or two. Sax is not as easy to learn on your own as guitar. (Trust me, I know.) If you can at least get someone to demonstrate proper embouchure and finger positioning, you might save yourself a lot of frustration.

That said, be aware that there are a lot of good books out there, and lots of videos online. If you really have no choice but to teach yourself, be sure to make use of these resources.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster
    Forum Contributor 2007-present
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agee with click's posts; good advice. If you can't afford a tutor (and finding a player that can give advice for free is an option), read Larry Teal's "The Art of Saxophone playing". I also found reading and playing the exercises (and text) from Dave Liebman's "Developing a Personal Saxophone Sound" very helpful.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    - - Chet Baker

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi and welcome to the late starter club! I just started last month at the young age of 52.

How did you find the jsax? I was thinking of getting one before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another even later "bloomer" (although not yet Blooming). Also self teaching because, well, that's just what I'm like. And even further behind the curve then you as, when I started, my music reading ability was very basic (no idea about keys & chords, reading notes "phonetically") - at least the guitar background will have your musical brain in good shape (I work on music "theory" with the help of a cheep piano).
    My interest was in learning about jazz and I started with Randy Hunter's begining jazz lessons. (Not expensive, and there, no doubt, other good material) pluss lots of reading, YouTube etc. Having great fun.

Have fun!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012 dexdex's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny. I'm 58, and just bought a bass. Yeah, a bass guitar. My first string instrument ever. Would we live closer, we could exchange lessons !
    Anyway, it is never to late, and welcome to the club.
    Sop Yana SC880 - Vandoren V16 S6 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Hear them on The Groove Merchant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dexdex View Post
    Funny. I'm 58, and just bought a bass. Yeah, a bass guitar. My first string instrument ever. Would we live closer, we could exchange lessons !
    Anyway, it is never to late, and welcome to the club.
    Hah yes that would be useful.
    A book I use a lot is callled 'how to play bass' by Graeme Aymer, only a small book but is extremely useful.
    Has most of everything you will ever need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kojer View Post
    Hi and welcome to the late starter club! I just started last month at the young age of 52.

How did you find the jsax? I was thinking of getting one before.
    Jsax is fun, if I go for a countryside walk I can take it with me and play anywhere without too much worry about dropping it, etc.
    I would definitely recommend the straighten my jsax kit for it though unless you are kid sized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Starry and welcome to the community. I live near Southampton, UK and would be happy to help you get going with your sax if your nearby. As for small hands don't sweat it the furthest key on that left hand spatula is a low Bb and you will not often play it in reality and will possibly take you time to develop your playing to be able to play it. If it becomes essential to you in time you will learn that there are different strokes for different folkes and in my very humble opinion Yamaha 61's and many Yanigasawa sax's suit very small hands.

enjoy your sax and have fun

Kenny
    never a dull moment when playing your horn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012 dexdex's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post
    Hah yes that would be useful.
    A book I use a lot is callled 'how to play bass' by Graeme Aymer, only a small book but is extremely useful.
    Has most of everything you will ever need.
    Thanks for the info. I'll look if I can find it.
    Sop Yana SC880 - Vandoren V16 S6 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Hear them on The Groove Merchant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Garrick View Post
    Hi Starry and welcome to the community. I live near Southampton, UK and would be happy to help you get going with your sax if your nearby. As for small hands don't sweat it the furthest key on that left hand spatula is a low Bb and you will not often play it in reality and will possibly take you time to develop your playing to be able to play it. If it becomes essential to you in time you will learn that there are different strokes for different folkes and in my very humble opinion Yamaha 61's and many Yanigasawa sax's suit very small hands.

enjoy your sax and have fun

Kenny
    Thanks for the offer Kenny.
    I'm in Potters Bar which is a bit of a trek from Southampton.

good advice and I will heed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit, about the jsax - after playing the alto for a couple of days, I tried the jsax again.
    Dear me it took some air to play, the alto blows a LOT easier for me.!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started in Jan 2015, I was 48 too. One time, I mentioned to my friend who plays Sax that I am interested in learning on how to play the Saxophone. He then lent me his C Melody Sax.
    Knowing nothing about Sax, I started looking for a teacher online. I found an older gentleman who used to play at big bands, etc. He is a very nice person, but my God, he knows nothing about teaching.
    After 1.5 year taking a lesson from him with no progress, I asked my piano teacher if he knew a good Sax teacher. My piano teacher suggested my new teacher. This Saxophonist did some recording with my piano teacher (my piano teacher is an accompanist). My new teacher really improves the quality of my playing, even my old teacher was impressed that I improved dramatically (yes, now I have two teachers). Eventhough, my first teacher is a bad teacher, I feel sorry to stop taking lesson from him. He is a fun person. With my piano background, my progress is considered fast, I am able to beat most kids or teenager. In addition, I play way more musical than teenagers.

By the way, I only used that C Melody Sax for one lesson. I bought a cheap Chinese made Saxophone ($350). I told my teacher that I will buy a cheap one first, until I am sure that I like and am able to play Sax. After 10 months using that cheap Chinese made Sax, I happened to go to Paris so that I bought a SelmerAlto (Reference 54). At the store, when I picked up the Sax, the sales person asked me if I want to try the Sax. I did not even know what to play...HAHAHAHA. This purchase is one of the best purchase that I did in my life. It is nearly 2 years, none of the keys stuck etc, excellent sounding Saxophone. Originally, my first teacher pursuades me to by Sax Dakota, he is one of the artist for that brand. Luckily, I did not fall into that. I know what I want.

My second teacher (the Classical guy) is very thorough and really know how to teach. He always insists on good quality of playing. I am a very dedicated students so that I always come to the lesson very well prepare. I started with 30 min lesson, then after 5 months, I changed to 45 minutes, then 7 months later, I changed to 1 hour. I can tell that he enjoys teaching me. My goal is to be able to play Sax well enough, because I am planning to teach 15 years from now (when I retire from my regular job).

That is my story!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started at age 66. Lessons are not mandatory.....determination is.
    Strive to be better than the day before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast