Okay, how bad could Prestini cases be?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Okay, how bad could Prestini cases be?

Has anyone seen, tried, or spotted a review for one of these cheap cases?

http://prestiniusa.com/cart/index.ph...oducts_id=1375

I'm wondering how well these things would protect, or how badly they could fail.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Okay, how bad could Prestini cases be?

It is a Chinese cheap case ( Prestini buys horns in China and Taiwan) much like the ones which come as an imitation Yamaha with many Chinese made horns.

Nothing special at all and I would also be questioning the fact that it could be used to fit saxophones other than the one of a modern design.

In all frankness, yes it is cheap and that is pretty much all it can be said about a case like this.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a similar one, for a while. The styrofoam is the standard type and not high quality as, for example, in a hiscox case.
    The latches didn't look too resistant and the pastic case itself was pretty flexible.

The level of protection, anyhow, was more than enough for most eveniences. If you use it to take the horn to gigs is not that bad. I would never ship a valuable horn with that case, though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your sax is a cheap low quality instrument and you don't care whether it occasionally becomes unplayable, go ahead and buy a cheap case, because it will probably be "good enough".

Personally, I only use well-made cases that offer solid protection to my instruments.

Like a motorcycle helmet, this is not the place I would choose to save money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In most cases, even a cheap case is good enough to keep dust away, and if reasonably taken care of even carry a horn around.

There is nothing wrong with thrift if one has a little care for the contents.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
    Like a motorcycle helmet, this is not the place I would choose to save money.
    As a motorcyclist of several decades, this is my perspective too.

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    In most cases, even a cheap case is good enough to keep dust away, and if reasonably taken care of even carry a horn around.

There is nothing wrong with thrift if one has a little care for the contents.
    And like a motorcycle helmet, the need for protection only occurs when accidents happen - "reasonable care" or not.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, but, DEG cases (very appreciated here) are way less protective than these, and lots of people like them.

I don’t.

Most vintage cases were way less protective than these and they would be an improvement over most of the vintage cases.

Yamaha horns are shipped in the same type of case with no other protection than the case itself and a carton box around it, and normally horns don’t suffer any transit damage.

I personally don’t like to advise ONLY the most expensive products, elitism is not a good thing.

I use protec , but they cost 4 times as much as this case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious what makes Hiscox styrofoam 'high quality' and why is that better?

I mentioned in another thread I tore apart a Rampone Cazzane case to find they also use standard white styrofoam as filling material supporting the instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadamard View Post
    I had a similar one, for a while. The styrofoam is the standard type and not high quality as, for example, in a hiscox case.
    The latches didn't look too resistant and the pastic case itself was pretty flexible.

The level of protection, anyhow, was more than enough for most eveniences. If you use it to take the horn to gigs is not that bad. I would never ship a valuable horn with that case, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say having a good shape leaving not too much space for movement around the case and with top, bottom and sides being impervious to bending.

Soft, non abrasive, material surrounding the area where the saxophone is, ideally making a cocoon around the saxophone.

Nothing wrong with styrofoam, the early Yamaha cases are perfectly shaped around the saxophone and they are made of wood and styrofoam.

I like protec. because they have an hard shell andt the cushioning is great.

Fiberglass, if not reinforced, or held in place from the inside with vertical supporting walls, on its own, will bend under pressure.

Most cases for Rampone & Cazzani are similar to Borgani too and made by Marco Magi

http://www.marcomagi.it

There are all sorts of cases mande by them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone actually evaluated the shock transmission through a case to the horn? If you want to do this right, instrument a few horns, install them in cases with data loggers, and drop them from a variety of credible heights.

Static and quasi-static tests are nearly meaningless, unless the greatest threat to your horn is stacking cases on a pallet.
    Go for The Tone,

g

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately crash tests for saxophone cases are yet to be declared mandatory by the saxophone authorities in the world the “ longa manus” of the saxophone police has yet to reach the makers of unsafe cases. Who knows how many saxophones are in mortal danger?

Because of this sorry state of affairs, we are riddled with unsafe saxophone cases.

I blame the saxophone technicians!

I think C3PO might be a good candidate to test these things?

Guitars on the other hand ...

Pelican test

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    Unfortunately crash tests for saxophone cases are yet to be declared mandatory by the saxophone authorities in the world the “ longa manus” of the saxophone police has yet to reach the makers of unsafe cases. Who knows how many saxophones are in mortal danger?

Because of this sorry state of affairs, we are riddled with unsafe saxophone cases.
    When I was vice president of the university Physics Club in the '80s, we would host an Egg Drop Contest every year. Vehicles were dropped from the roof of the Physics Building (6 stories tall), and scored for accuracy and survivability. Good fun.
    Go for The Tone,

g

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Test away Dr.G, I hope you’ll excuse me if I won’t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason I've inquired on this is because I have a Zephyr tenor that has no case, and I have no place to put it. It is currently squatting in a worn protec belonging to my 400 and that's going to need it back eventually. The Zephyr will probably sit on the shelf awhile.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For that I'd buy a SKB coffin style. They cost $80 and will keep the dust away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guto View Post
    I'm curious what makes Hiscox styrofoam 'high quality' and why is that better?

I mentioned in another thread I tore apart a Rampone Cazzane case to find they also use standard white styrofoam as filling material supporting the instrument.
    Well, I suppose you need to touch the two different cases to get an idea...

In a hiscox (not my favourite case for a number of reasons, but the one my Selmer's sitting right now) you can feel that the styrofoam is firm enough to keep the horn but soft enough to take the energy from a bump.
    On a cheap case the styrofoam is much softer and it's easy to disgregate it.

Not every styrofoam is created equal, in the same way all saxophones looks the same but rarely perform the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JfW View Post
    The reason I've inquired on this is because I have a Zephyr tenor that has no case, and I have no place to put it. It is currently squatting in a worn protec belonging to my 400 and that's going to need it back eventually. The Zephyr will probably sit on the shelf awhile.....
    Then your problem is solved, this case won’t fit a Zephyr

Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JfW View Post
    I've seen this exact case [prestini] in a pawn shop. They are pretty flimsy. Not stackable, which is nonsensical for a "hard" case. Basically, its a HSO - hard-case shaped object.
    Best, Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ever seen a Berkeley of London?

Much loved by lots of people...if you ever happen to come across one feel the fiberglass body...

Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    When I was vice president of the university Physics Club in the '80s, we would host an Egg Drop Contest every year. Vehicles were dropped from the roof of the Physics Building (6 stories tall), and scored for accuracy and survivability. Good fun.
    Egg drops and egg tosses are alive and well all across the country, every February during National Engineer Week. We were running a toss with trebuchet's for a few years. Combination of accuracy and survivability went into scoring. They would design-build the trebuchet, the protective egg container, and practice up their technique in teams before the contest.

Drop tests, puncture tests, static tests, thermal, vibe, leak and burst - you guys want these cases to cost more than the horn? Next, you'll want climate control, shock isolation, bluetooth EDM monitoring...
    Best, Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast