Sax on the Web Forum banner

Neck Problems!!!

8K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  jblues1969 
#1 ·
Within the past year I have been having really bad neck pain from playing tenor, so much so I have stopped playing and I have swapped to soprano. This has solved the problem, however, although I do like the soprano I feel that I am playing it more for my neck's sake, rather than really wanting to play it.

In an ideal world i would prefer to be playing tenor, but I am thinking of trying an Alto with some kind of strap that takes the weight off of my neck. This is something I would like to get sorted now as I am only young and want to be playing sax for many more years to come! (there seems to be bit of a neck/shoulder problem in the family but the pain started after falling off a horse!)

I have so far tried a neotech harness, however I am quite slim so the adult size was way too big, yet the junior size wasn't long enough as I am tall and have a long body!

Just asking for any recommendations on neckstraps/harnesses or any similar experiences

Thanks!

(also I was unsure which category to post this in, so I apologise if this is not the correct one!)

See less See more
#2 ·
1) young
2) neck injury from falling off horse

Take some time to heal properly, and you may have a lifetime ahead of you to play your preferred instrument. If instead, you rush it now, you may never be able to comfortably play the tenor.

Please take care of yourself, and get professional help, perhaps including physical therapy.

#4 ·
Jazzlab Saxholder did it for me. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2012/11/jazzlab-saxholder-neckstrap-review/ I was in rough shape. Pinched nerve in my upper spine. Neck pain, shoulder pain, tingling in arms and hands and numbness. It was affecting my fingers and they were not moving like they should have been. Switched to the Sax holder for a few months and it all went away. I don't use it all the time but when I have issues creeping in. Now I use the Just Joe's neckstrap and haven't had issues for quite a few years now. I am very grateful.......

#6 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions!

I have seen an osteopath previously, however I haven't been for quite a few months now as I think the swap to soprano has helped my neck!

I have tried an on-stage stand previously but it wasn't that great as I was unable to read my music whilst playing, would be perfect for someone who gigs a lot though!

I think I will try the Jazzlab Saxholder again as I tried it before but it dug into the painful areas in my shoulders so I returned it. Seeing as everything feels good at the moment I will try it again as it would take the weight off my neck, which is part of the problem.

Do Alto Saxophones vary in weight between brands or models?

#11 ·
I think I will try the Jazzlab Saxholder again as I tried it before but it dug into the painful areas in my shoulders so I returned it.
Don't forget, the Saxholder is adjustable. The metal is designed to be bendable to fit your shoulders and back.

Do Alto Saxophones vary in weight between brands or models?
Yes, altos can be different weights, but not a huge difference between them. Modern altos (especially some asian ones) tend to be heavier than vintage ones (Mark VI and older).

#12 ·
The Jazzlab Saxholder & the Vandoren harness are both very good choices. Whichever you choose, remember to give yourself plenty of time to get used to using it. It might not be the most comfortable right away.

I went from using a regular neck strap to the BG Harness which initially, I did not care for BUT, it was much less stress on my neck. Eventually, I got used to it and was able to fine tune the adjustments to where I was able to feel comfortable using it. The Jazzlab Saxholder was the same way. Initially, I didn't think that I would care for using it. However, in making small adjustments and using it on a regular basis, I adapted to it.

#16 ·
Thank you all for your replies!

I have ended up getting the Jazzlab Saxholder as I felt it was the best. Neotech harnesses didn't fit me at all but the BG harness fitted well and was another option.

I tried out different saxophones and mouthpieces so I was in the shop using the Saxholder for about 1 1/2 hours and no real pain after (apart from usual aches and pains from my supermarket job!)
I definitely need to get used to it as it is quite different and I currently don't feel that it is the most comfortable thing in the world but one I will persevere with if it means I can play the sax with no grief.

Just need to bend the arms more to fit me properly as it is quite hard!!!

#18 ·
Here's another vote for the Jazzlab Saxholder, and I also echo the comments about adjusting it to fit you. I have had two surgeries to my cervical spine, one which fused C3 and C4 vertebrae, and I use both the Jazzlab and the Just Joe's straps. I prefer Just Joe's for overall comfort and to reduce uppershoulder pressure, but often revert to the Jazzlab when needed because it does even better to reduce pressure on the uppershoulders and lower neck even if I still prefer just Joe's overall. Until this past year I had preferred pretty simple and wide straps, but the Just Joe's and Jazzlab are the most comfortable for me.

#20 ·
Very likely. My right thumb issue got really bad when I switched altos, and though I've never outright compared the two strap ring positions but I'm betting that they're in different positions. At one point I had to use a thumb brace whenever I played, which was not ideal. The Saxholder was a perfect solution for me, though. It gives my sax a relatively weightless feel, and since I started using it my thumb has completely recovered.

#22 ·
I have neck problems to due to beeing tall and having a ****** neck. When I didn't do anything about it it got so bad that I had to get cortisone injections I go to physio-therapy once a week (gets paid by my insurance). I also use a strap with good padding and a wide adjustment plate (I mixed together the Just Joes strap with the B.Air adjuster). The wide adjustment plate works wonders imo.

Go and see an orthopaedic doctor. He can tell you exactly whats wrong with you and what you should do about it.

#23 ·
Meg, I know you have already gotten a harness, but if it doesn't work out, I just wanted to add that my neurosurgeon forbid my playing anything hanging from my neck, but approved of a Vandoren brace, which worked very well for me. http://www.wwbw.com/Vandoren-Saxophone-Support-System-Harness-H93980.wwbw

(I've got one I'll let you have at considerable discount, if you like, if the time ever comes. No pressure and you can get it from any source, that's why the link above.)

#24 ·
Jazzlab sax holder here too.

I switched to it a couple of years back.
The comments about it digging in are certainly valid, but I was able to bend and shape the over-the-shoulder parts to finally suit me. It took quite a bit of trial and error....stay with it

I'd bet that if you were successful with fitting it that you'd be back on tenor.

#31 ·
Hi, I have neck problems and wondered if the sax holder puts pressure on the stomach (I have tummy troubles too ). The neo sling looks great for the neck but am wondering if it's suitable for women. Anyone know?
I have adjusted the ab pad so that it rests on my sternum with no problems.

I'm amazed at how many sax players develop neck issues as they age. I had severe spinal stenosis which developed slowly over decades. The bone spur inside the spinal column actually bisected my spinal cord in two vertebra. I never noticed until one day I felt like I had been struck by lightning and my G-sharp pinky finger went slightly numb. After two years of chiropractic treatment didn't help, I got an MRI and the spine doc nearly jumped out of his chair when he read it. He said the only other time he'd ever seen something that severe, the patient was in a wheelchair. After a laminectomy and fusion of 6 vertebra, I woke up normal again, but I couldn't use a neck strap without pain, so I got a saxholder. I really ought to buy stock in Jazzlab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.