Sax on the Web Forum banner

Pedals w/ Saxophone

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Michael Ward 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I recently got interested in using pedals with saxophone. I had the bright idea of trying an app on my ipad (JamUp Pro), and it actually works really well! A quick proof of concept for you:
(pretty funky)

Or for those who like some hardcore metal sounds...

Anyone else running pedals on their ipad, iphone, or other mobile device with success?

So far I've spent $8 total on these pedals (the app was $5 and the Qtron pedal was an add on for $3), and I estimate they'd all cost around $600 if I had bought physical copies. Anyone interested in the details of the setup or hearing more, I wrote a quick blog post on it: http://everythingsaxophone.blogspot.com/2017/07/saxophone-with-delay-reverb-octave.html

#2 ·
Fantastic! Really enjoyed your tracks - especially the Canon for Two Tenors. I used to have an actual Q-Tron but it wasn't "dramatic" enough for what I was looking for.

I did some experimenting with Moog's Filtatron a while back. Here's a funny demo for it - not mine!

I look forward to reading your blogpost.

#3 ·
Thanks, EZ!

I'd heard someone's recording of sax through a Q-Tron, which I really dug, and I've liked hearing Ben Wendel's distortion pedals with Kneebody, so when I figured out an easy way to experiment with this stuff, I jumped at it.

#4 ·
When doing research on a blog about Sorkin Music and Multivox, I came across information on the development of the "wah-wah" pedal. Engineers at Thomas Organ came up with it. Thomas Organ wasn't really interested and the engineers mainly tested it with a saxophone. It was a few years later that somebody figured out that using the pedal with a guitar could be interesting.

Mark

#7 ·
When doing research on a blog about Sorkin Music and Multivox, I came across information on the development of the "wah-wah" pedal. Engineers at Thomas Organ came up with it. Thomas Organ wasn't really interested and the engineers mainly tested it with a saxophone. It was a few years later that somebody figured out that using the pedal with a guitar could be interesting.
Mark
That's really interesting. Do you know kind of mics/pickups they were using on the sax? I tried a wah years ago and had trouble getting it to affect the sound enough. Honestly, the bigger problem was trying to learn to add one more coordination element to my playing. ;)

You might try listening to the 2008 album Happiness by A.K.A.C.O.D. for some ideas. Baritone sax player Dana Colley (formerly of Morphine) uses all kinds of electronic effects.
I'll have to check it out!

Hey Ben, fantastic sounds man. Have you tried running the ipad rig live in a venue at all? Just curious, thank you very much for sharing, very exciting stuff that I can not wait to check out.
Thanks, MJ! I tried it live once, but that was before I had a clue as to what I was doing, so I'm looking forward to trying again. I'll let you know how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.