Sax on the Web Forum banner

Chinese Soprano Demo Video

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  perina14 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Impressive (the player)

But , in order to evaluate the sound it would be way better to go through a series of long tones rather than playing a virtuoso stunt.

[video]http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTAyMTUzMzYw.html?spm=a2hzp.8253869.0.0[/video]

#3 ·
Impressive (the player)

But , in order to evaluate the sound it would be way better to go through a series of long tones rather than playing a virtuoso stunt.
This is a very good point, Milandro, which I don't think I've read on the forum before. There are lots of sax demo videos out there, many for saxes on sale, and although some play a scale or two, few ever play long tones at the top and bottom so one can hear the tone and timbre without the distraction of lots of fast arpeggios and jazz licks. Just playing a slow chromatic scale bottom to top and back would tell you more about the sound than much anything else. Could it be that a lot of people can't get a good long tone out or play slowly so one can hear the horn rather than their "virtuosity" playing 300 bpm runs? We all know that the hardest thing to play well on a sax is a really slow ballad, which is why most people avoid that like the plague. IMHO of course.

#8 ·
it is not only trade shows most videos that are supposed to help selling anything saxophonic or explaining how something plays are all like that.

What exactly they are trying to show, other than look at me and how good I am, is not really clear to me.

#9 ·
What exactly they are trying to show, other than look at me and how good I am, is not really clear to me.
I think in the case of the Birdsong soprano it's a deliberate marketing strategy. This is a domestically produced horn targeting the domestic buyer. The pro players aren't going to give a second look, so the target is the dilettante amateur. This is a pretty expensive horn, retails for about 1950 USD. The target buyer hears someone screaming along at near light speed, mentally connects the product to their skills and is more willing to plop down a big chunk of change on what is essentially an expensive toy.

#11 ·
For me, I thought the weird sound effects were more interesting. But then I have a drawer full of guitar effects pedals ...

When I got my new baritone here a couple months back, while I was testing it in the shop I played slowly ppp - fff all through the horn. The shop clerk just looked at me like I was nuts.

#14 ·
I love a beautiful tone too. Here's the closest to my tonal concept, Remco Jak, particularly after he adjusts his reed at 1:00.

Anders Paulsson is close too, but he also likes to vary his tone a lot depending on what he is playing. He capitalizes on the tonal profile of this Mark VI, also he modulates his airflow to get different sounds, all on a Selmer Soloist C* with hard reeds. The effects are pretty interesting.

He's modified his tone a quite a bit, but here's an example of what that sounds like in a non-classical setting.

#15 ·
Thanks for the input on trying out sopranos earlier in the thread.

I only play at home for myself, so I have been a little nervous about trying a horn in a store. However, I am planning to go to stores relatively close to me to try as many sopranos as I can find, but I really have no idea what I will be trying to do. My routine? Long tones with ppp>fff>ppp and other variations, scales and modes, matching octaves, stuff like that? I have a couple of simple tunes that I play in different keys. What else? Take music to play? I don't really have anything memorized, so memorize something? Suggestions?

#16 ·
For me it is to play softly, particularly in the low register at first. Then slow even chromatic scales up and down the range of the horn. Then maybe interval jumps (3rds/5ths/octaves) to listen for any potential intonation issues. A few pieces you know the sound of well would be good. Anyway, good luck with your search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.