Sax on the Web Forum banner

Choosing between two Amati saxophones.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JayeLID 
#1 ·
Hello and thank you for your potential help.
I'm not a saxophone expert but I need to get one of those two following models:

- Amati Kraslice Classic Lignatone (alto sax): https://bazar.bg/обява-14268294/sax...lice-classic-алт-саксофон-с-куфар-от-амати?.2

- Amati Deluxe (alto sax): https://bazar.bg/обява-14690484/алт-саксофон-amati-deluxe?.2

I have no knowledge of saxophones yet and will learn everything once I get one of them. I know the names of parts and so on, and I'm also playing on clarinet. My need is for your opinion on which one seems better to you, also as a model but specially as condition. The Kraslice model has falling polish but no other problems mentioned and comes with a new mouthpiece as well. The Deluxe model needs two pads replaced (included in the price) but seems in a better outward condition. Looks don't matter to me, I'm after quality of sound and proper playability of the instrument.

See less See more
#2 ·
Why does it have to be an Amati?

Amati are not bad... but there are many more saxophones that I would consider before buying one of the two you are showing us.

IF... you really want one of these, then the second, Amati De luxe Classic, would be better

https://bazar.bg/обява-14690484/алт-саксофон-amati-deluxe?.2#

The first one is much older with older mechanics and in a worse general state, the seller might be (or not) reliable in what he says about this horn being in good state.

You say you care about the sound? That we cannot judge from here, nor can you, then you have to go an play them.

I personally would look further, even if you live in East-Europe there must be better options open to you than these two saxophones?

If buying outside of your country is an option look further than your borders.

#4 ·
well, the low price (I have no idea of what that means in € or $) is low because they are really very difficult to sell.

In my country, the NL, they are next to impossible to sell, so they are generally no more than €200, these would be even less. The first one would never sell, not even for €100.

#5 ·
Amatis are actually fine when they are in good playing shape. I cannot read the language, but do either (or both ?) specifically state they are in good playing condition ?

Because...it isn't the fact they are Amati which may make them difficult to sell...but the fact that they do not play.

IF they BOTH are described as playing well ~ this means the seller says:

'sax plays up and down no problem, I guarantee it'

as opposed to saying

'everything LOOKS like it is in good condition' :|

or as opposed to saying

"I can make the horn play":| or "yes, I can get it to play" :|or " a professional tried it and was able to get it to play"...

:|

(...because neither of those two sorts of descriptions indicate the sax is playable).

You may buy an inexpensive sax only to discover it needs more professional repair than what you paid for the sax.

So buy the one which the seller says, without doubt, plays just fine. If neither seller will guarantee that, do not buy either.

Both are solid and reliable enough horns, and both sound good. Many players might say neither are very good, because their keywork is not exactly fast or responsive (then again, most players have never seen an Amati in person much less ever tried one). This may be true, but this is different from saying they are not decent saxes on a budget. For most players and their playing contexts, an Amati which is in good playing condition works quite OK.

If neither seller will say it plays, tell us...what is your budget ?

If I have this right, you are in Bulgaria ?

Bulgarian Lev = лв = .58 $usd, so your budget is around $200-250usd ?

I do not know what the economy of Bulgaria is like these days, but I do not think this is a high enough budget to get any sort of half-decent Alto in good playing condition. At least, in most places in the world, it would not be.

However, if one seller tells you the sax definitely plays just fine, you may have gotten lucky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.