Sax on the Web Forum banner

Not able to figure out the model of this Alto.

830 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JfW 
#1 ·
Found this on craigslist. It doesn't have a model marking, and even after a bit of googling, I cannot figure out what this is. SN is 537XXX

I'm guessing it was a second line instrument given the lack of any engraving apart from the branding, though it feels well built.

Automotive lighting Amber Wood Rim Tints and shades
Musical instrument Brass instrument Automotive exhaust Wind instrument Woodwind instrument
Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Auto part

See less See more
#4 ·
$30 is always a bargain, even for a decoration horn let alone one which plays or will play.

Cheaper horns are getting increasingly common on the marketplace (although sellers are generally thinking that if something has a saxophone shape and looks shiny it has to be expensive) because when they need any work at all the seller (and buyers) hit the wall of the overhaul cost which is now higher than the value of one of these horns in playing conditions and perfect aesthetics.

#5 ·
Yeah, i've noticed that too. Got a Bundy I tenor last year for $40, and a dilapidated 16M for $25 (solder marks indicated it doesn't have its original bell key guard).

several years ago I would have been happy to get a shot at things like this for $100 bucks for an alto and $250 for a tenor.... must be that with the asian rim cranking out competent instruments, there is just a large and growing supply of older student instruments. Probably take a world war and a scrap drive to drive the supply down, or a large increase in the price of scrap brass since no one would have the heart to scrap a horn for $4 of windfall

#6 ·
No, the breaking point, at least here, is the continuous reducing of the number of players , the ever increasing of the “ pool” of old horns that are unused, the abundant offer of new horns at €250, and the ever increasing cost of the repairs.

It is not only affecting saxophones, cars are exactly the same and for the same reasons.

Repairing a car is getting so expensive ( the labour that is, parts aren’t the problem) that if your car is damaged anyway and it is older than 7 years it is practically costing you more than a similar secondhand car would cost.

So scrapping is actually cheaper than fixing it.

So cars are easily declared “ total” loss, they are scrapped and bought by Russian, African or Asian car dealers which buy ship loads ( I am not joking where I live there is a port which, next to being the largest potatoes port in the country, specializes in shipping metal scrap and cars) take them to their countries where labor is very cheap and the cars are completely fixed.

This too is a market destined to die out because more and more cars can only be fixed by computer and in those countries there is everything BUT computers!

Have you ever seen Indian car body shops? They are amazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.