Sax on the Web Forum banner

Why wasn't the C-Melody Curved Neck made Differently?

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  musekatcher 
#1 ·
One of the complaints I've read about the C-Melody is that the necks make for an awkward playing angle. This week I played one for the first time in a shop (was nice to check that off the bucket list. :) ). While there was a lot to like, I had to agree with this criticism. It was hard to find a comfortable way to hold it, and the neck was part of that. It was like the neck was too long.

That's when it occurred to me: Why didn't they make the neck with a deeper curve, so that the neck wouldn't stick out as much, and the whole thing would be more comfortable to play? Seems like that would have fixed the problem fairly easily.

#2 ·
Well, some did. Just look at a Conn. Completely different neck, though I don't know that it's more comfortable to play. There's a lot more ergonomic problems with any vintage C-melody other than just the neck.

#3 ·
Conn is more comfortable but also has a different sound and probably this is the origin of both.

the Conn c melody was also available with the curved and the straight neck.

Aquilasax ( the only modern C melody) also offered two neck. There were also regular tenors with straight neck (I was surprised too) .

#8 ·
Now there's something I hadn't thought of that makes perfect sense. As long as you're going to be uncomfortable stooping over anyway with your right elbow elevated, bring the horn to the back farther so you don't hit the piano player in the back of the head. :D

I'm not kidding. It makes sense.

#12 ·
"All of the revival C-melody's also follow the curved neck designs, perhaps suggesting its preferable."

As already mentioned in post #3, Aquilasax had a straight neck C, as well.

The only curved neck I tried was Martin, and the playing position was impossible.

#14 ·
Yes, I have thought about getting a King or a York and hoping the neck would be better ...

I tried for a long time to get a straight neck to fit the Martin from Aquilasax, who had one for sale on the list of items available, but I was unsuccessful after trying for years to get them to sell me one. I also tried to get a straight neck from anyone here who had an Aquilasax with 2 necks and wanted to keep the curved one, but I never managed that, either. I also could not get any tech to straighten a Martin neck ala Jimmy Giuffre.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/media/large/6/0/6/ec02e366a1556cb65584cfa484c2b.jpg

Finally, I found a pipefitter who cut the bottom, bent the tube, and put a heavy sleeve over the whole shabang. Works as well as the original neck on the tuner, but looks like hell on a cracker. Playing position now excellent.

#16 ·
Looks like a Conn copy. So, we may have an entire market of consumers who want a straight neck based on internet wisdom, who have never considered a curved neck. Since no curved necks are in production, we conclude its inferior. Circular justification!

I'll again point out, that *most* C melodys produced before WWII, and after WWII (exceptions noted) by far had the curved neck. Aquila offered both - wonder if he sold more curved than straight? My take, is that alto players will find the curved neck more *familiar* with the stacks closer to an alto position, and tenor players will find the longer straight neck more *familiar* for the same reason. I play both alto and tenor, and I've owned both straight and curved C melodys, the straight neck thrust my head back relative to my hand positions, very unnatural, similar to the OP complaint, while the curved neck was clearly more comfortable for me, but I'm only one data point. Really, like all other claims and other internet "widsom", you will have to find out for yourself, if you want objective data. Otherwise, you are relying on less-than-accurate conjecture in many cases.

Like the saying goes, "Don't believe what you read, and only half of what you see."

#18 ·
"Looks like a Conn copy."

I wish I could pull up that link and look. I cannot get it to work.

The Aquilasax C melody came with 2 necks, one straight and one curved.

According to the website, the body of the sax was not based on the Conn line, but on the York/Martin/Buescher line as having the same neck requirements. Thus, the modern Aquilasax curved neck or straight neck would play in tune with my Martin. At least that is what they told me. Aquilasax also offered reproduction Conn necks as a separate sales item.

"Since no curved necks are in production, we conclude its inferior."

1. Who has drawn the conclusion that curved neck C melody saxophones are inferior?
2. Your premises may be mistaken. Here is a new one on sale now with a curved neck:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professiona...961171?hash=item1c86576e93:g:GgAAAOSw8lpZJBQm

#19 ·
Have anyone tested a Martin/Buescher with the straight neck from Acquilasax?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.