Sax on the Web Forum banner

Restore color of multicolored mouthpiece

966 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Sigmund451 
#1 ·
I have a beautiful SML alto mpc made of incredible multicolored hard rubber.
Unfortunately the bottom portion is discolored. Is there any way to fix this?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have no idea but I would approach one of the guys who reface them. They are experts at working with the material and will know how much they can do without changing the playing characteristics of it. It does look like it could be a beautiful collector's piece.

#3 ·
I dimly remember once polishing a brownish HR mouthpiece to a deep lustrous black with some Meguiar's compound intended to make tires look shiny. Hope the person I sold the mouthpiece to wasn't sensitive to petroleum distillates... I hate accidentally poisoning people, don't you?

A non-toxic food-grade mineral oil or olive oil might work. I've done that too.

#4 ·
oil or wax helps indeed but you will still se somewhat the difference if you do nothing else than rubbing anything greasy in there.

However there are specific products normally used to take scratches off plastic which would restore this (apply with a soft cloth).

Also products ( I have a very old bottle of Turtle was lacquer cleaner) for the shining of car lacquer will work (they need to be applied with a soft cloth)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.