Sax on the Web Forum banner

GAS here we go again...

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  CashSax 
#1 ·
OK started easy, I simply needed to replace a mpc I had sold and wanted to replace..6 mos and 2K later I got 5 new mpcs 4 new horns and a bulging credit card ***...!

I quit really..

:(

#3 ·
Since getting back into the game a year ago, I've acquired 3 vintage horns and about 20 new and used pieces. Not to mention an amp, effects boxes, reeds (both cane*& synthetic), swabs, and repairs . . . . But I refuse to tally up the expense. That way madness lies.

Speaking of which, if anyone knows of a cheap Chu or tranny alto FS . . . .

#12 ·
Here's the story, while waiting for the new Mpc I started thinking....(always trouble, right) I was down to 2 saxes a/t and one flute, plus just a few mpcs, I been working a couple nights a week..my gear was rode hard and needed serious work..I needed backups A/T so I got serious and picked up a nice playable Buescher Aristo alto for $250. then I found a decent '70 Buescher 400 tenor (was orig a steal at $700) showed up badly packed, I copped it for 5 bills, $40 in repairs plays like new..

Then one miller-fueled evening came a Kessler Sop (one piece custom performance model).. was advertised as "mint' and it basically was..sold originally to me for $500 but the cat (dude was a no clue beginner) he had damaged it slightly, after "adjustment" (thanks ebay) it ended up costing $300.+$30 repairs, then I got a cherry but neglected black nickel Milwaukee Baritone, I found it on my local Vegas craigslist, cost me $500 cash (plus 10 old useless mpcs)+$50 repairs. It's a good horn,

The total for my GAS is documented for all to see..the Sakshama alto mpc for $490 (first GAS) this is what started my thread, the Sakshama was ordered to replace an orig DG studio I sold....then it was time..

I had my VI Tenor locally resto'd, new corks felts yadayada..($350 labor) of course it required Tenor Madness pads+custom resos ($250)..then my VII alto went in for the upper stack resto $150 so far (still needs lower, my tech is booked' til August}...what else??...oh yeah 2 Metalite Bari mpcs to play with on the Milwacky..then along with those gems I recently got a New Vintage TM Link 8* plus a modern Tone Edge 7* for my newly acquired dark tenor sound period..talking 'nother $250...

...in the meantime I had a couple mpcs re-faced, my well-played DG Super King tenor and my Sop mpc (BARI Hawk II) were dialed in..luckily I got a homeboy deal..Both came back killers..oh yeah 'course I needed a few new reeds Ligs etc etc (more $$$) ...is it 2K ?? OK it's more..damn.

Good news is I got the cards down to less than 8 bills already, so all is not lost..seems I'm in pretty good shape now, so definitely time to chill.

I know I'm preachin' to the Choir..good luck on your recovery Gang.

#14 ·
My main reason for GAS in the past was to get a complete collection with all metal Otto Link models produced since the 1930's (also in different tip size or refaced, if the price was right). But I've always played the same Otto Link mouthpiece for years (used two as main piece in the last 27 years) when performing gigs or jam sessions. Experiments are only done when playing privately (recording) or sometimes at Big Band rehearsals (the loud circumstances are a perfect test to see if a mouthpiece performs well outside a private low volume environment).

After that I got curious to try some other brands that played a role in history of Jazz tenor (like Berg Larsen) and to some of the modern Boutique mouthpiece brands that are (highly) marketed here on SOTW. I've never had real GAS on horns, because I already have a very nice Selmer SBA tenor since 1995 that I really like (but I did play test some other horns that I could borrow for some weeks).

Nowadays I'm still curious to try different things, but my GAS is much more controlled. I only try to get new things if I get a great deal or can do a good trade, otherwise I just wait a bit and that also helps to let a GAS attack pass!

#15 ·
Yeah I'm not sure you have a full blown case of GAS. I generally don't count the money spent on repairs and adjustments in the GAS category and thus far it appears that your reasoning for buying what you have is pretty sound. You play plenty of gigs of different types and styles. Outside of the Sakshama alto piece I think you could turn everything you've bought around for what you paid or more which means you could be as close to being a horn flipper as having GAS. To me GAS is more along the lines of what PB is describing like the guy who has 60K, 70K, and 90K series Mark VIs and is trying to convince himself (his wife, his friends, etc.) that for some reason he needs an 80K series VI for "comparison purposes" or some other idiotic reason.

#16 ·
Oh yeah Bruce now that you mention it my Flute does need a Repad..I play it a lot too..Keith for you, I forgot to mention a brand new old stock Guardala LazerTrim (goldplated no less) Super King Tenor mpc that I just had to have (seriously I couldn't pass it up, great price 2 bills) Real reason I grabbed it is that i've been playing a Silver LT Super King for over 15 yrs now..I just had it restored and tweaked, It's priceless to me....

Ya gotta have back up right ?? never know when the Zombies will attack..:twisted:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.